• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Comparing great players in different eras or in different positions is somewhat pointless, but no one has any doubt that Fred Dean was one of the best who ever played.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Better than Leslie O'Neal ?
      If Leslie O'Neal didn't blow out his knee his rookie season, i'd go with him.

He never got that explosive first step back.

San Fran doesn't win their first Super Bowl without Fred Dean.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
        Agreed!! That was one heck of a front. If I remember right, the defense went straight south with the loss of Fred Dean. They were more than a serviceable defense before his departure, but they decided to go to a 3 - 4 alignment afterwards I believe.. and presto, the Chargers quickly became one of the truly worse defenses of all-time!

The more points that high powered offense would score, the more points that defense would give up. There were some nice players on that side of the ball still, but the scheme certainly did not mesh well with the players they had on the defensive side.

Their defensive secondary suddenly went from experienced to old overnight - that didn't help.

Glen Edwards, Willie Buchanon & Mike Williams (the original) were washed up by the time Fred Dean was traded.

They stuck with the 4-3 that year: Charles DeJurnet (sic) replaced Dean, if memory serves me.

Comment

• Craig440
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

I used to met with Fred at Bullies now and then, he was a good friend of my cousin Chuck. Really nice guy off the field, but a terror on the field. I had season tickets at the time. Fred was a pleasure to watch. RIP Friend.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Their defensive secondary suddenly went from experienced to old overnight - that didn't help.

Glen Edwards, Willie Buchanon & Mike Williams (the original) were washed up by the time Fred Dean was traded.

They stuck with the 4-3 that year: Charles DeJurnet (sic) replaced Dean, if memory serves me.
            I believe you are right. I did some research and it may have been a couple seasons after Fred Dean left when the Chargers hired Tom Bass as defensive coordinator and when to the 3-4 defense. Those defensive backs that you mentioned play may have started to slip during Dean’s last year with the Chargers. Kelcher had put on some extra bad weight that limited his play also.

Comment

• WindsorUK
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Windsor, U.K.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
              Actually I meant Faison - Ernie was a DT - when they were playing side by side the defense was fierce
              Faison ended up coaching a youth basketball team we played in junior high school( I went to Lewis Jr. High, in Allied Gardens. I can't recall which specific team we were playing).
              After one particularly lousy call against his team, Big Earl walked over to the scoring table, slammed both fists down on top of it, the table bounces of the ground and flips over, strewing paperwork all over the court and absolutely scaring the shit out of the guys sitting at the table.
              Absolutely classic!

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Faison coached at Lincoln HS - latter became the Principal of Lincoln
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                  Comparing great players in different eras or in different positions is somewhat pointless, but no one has any doubt that Fred Dean was one of the best who ever played.
                  You're right - but it's fun remembering these guys.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                    Faison coached at Lincoln HS - latter became the Principal of Lincoln
                    He was a PE coach at Bell Jr. High when I was there

Comment

• WindsorUK
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Windsor, U.K.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

He was a PE coach at Bell Jr. High when I was there
                      YES!! Bell, that was it!!
                      Thanks Bolt-O.
                      My story took place sometime end of '81, beginning of '82( would be my best guess)

Comment

Working...
                      X