Film Study - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week 5 vs NO)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week 5 vs NO)

Gday fellow diehards, back for some more punishment i see :nod:

This week had some tough decisions on plays to choose, there was plenty to go around.

The Good:
    2nd Q 11:55 clock
    Herbert showing off his big arm again on a brilliant play action pass for TD. Saints playing single high safety rushing 4. Their safety bites on Hunter Henry route leaving Jalen Guyton open for the big play. If this young man stays on his feet its Touchdown. I am impressed with the pass protection here, nice double teams inside and Pipkins adjusting to help Green on the outside showing good awareness. There is plenty of plays where our O-line fails, so credit to Pipkins and the unit as whole for this effort. Charger ball on 45yrd line seems to be a favorite spot to take a shot, so i expect this to be covered tighter in coming weeks as teams see film. Enjoy it while we can diehards

The Bad:
    Charger play calling is getting creative here. Its shame 2 missed blocks let the whole play fail. Feeney needs to get on the MLB, Pikpins needs to block the DE right in front of him and Henry block the OLB would have created a wide running lane for Guyton to get big yards. If Henry even blocks the DE it becomes Guyton 1on1 with OLB and a chance to make positive yards. Herbert fake pass fooled the OLB and coverage. A good play call badly executed

The Ugly:
    4th Q 11:31 clock
    Chargers have Saints in 3rd and 14 leading by 7. Its been 2 great defensive plays leading up this and simple mistakes turns game momentum. A minor pump fake from Brees makes Adderly misstep. White is just plain lost in coverage and Murray stops persuit as the ball is thrown all resulting the game tying TD. Zero excuses here, players need to make plays.

Honorable mention:
    3rd Q 4:24 clock
    Chargers run effectively converting 1st down. Lamp + Tevi + Hill + Guyton all working together to create this lane. I am impressed by Tevi sliding off the double team with Henry to get on the OLB along with KJ Hill sealing the outside. This is what good run blocking looks like and i hope to see more.

Want more? just ask

luv ya
  • SBbound
    Casual fanatic
    • Feb 2019
    • Merced/San Diego
    • Send PM

More please.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

On the bad play, I think Turner and Bulaga will play better than that.
      JJ and Justin will love it.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Good stuff as usual NMC.

Not sure what coverage we were running but Kyzir did look lost. I can’t figure out why he had deep third but he didn’t recognize that route at all. 3 defenders 1 receiver and he is wide open. That was absolutely ugly!
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
          Gday fellow diehards, back for some more punishment i see :nod:

This week had some tough decisions on plays to choose, there was plenty to go around.

The Good:
          Herbert showing off his big arm again on a brilliant play action pass for TD. Saints playing single high safety rushing 4. Their safety bites on Hunter Henry route leaving Jalen Guyton open for the big play. If this young man stays on his feet its Touchdown. I am impressed with the pass protection here, nice double teams inside and Pipkins adjusting to help Green on the outside showing good awareness. There is plenty of plays where our O-line fails, so credit to Pipkins and the unit as whole for this effort. Charger ball on 45yrd line seems to be a favorite spot to take a shot, so i expect this to be covered tighter in coming weeks as teams see film. Enjoy it while we can diehards

The Bad:
          Charger play calling is getting creative here. Its shame 2 missed blocks let the whole play fail. Feeney needs to get on the MLB, Pikpins needs to block the DE right in front of him and Henry block the OLB would have created a wide running lane for Guyton to get big yards. If Henry even blocks the DE it becomes Guyton 1on1 with OLB and a chance to make positive yards. Herbert fake pass fooled the OLB and coverage. A good play call badly executed

The Ugly:
          4th Q 11:31 clock
          Chargers have Saints in 3rd and 14 leading by 7. Its been 2 great defensive plays leading up this and simple mistakes turns game momentum. A minor pump fake from Brees makes Adderly misstep. White is just plain lost in coverage and Murray stops persuit as the ball is thrown all resulting the game tying TD. Zero excuses here, players need to make plays.

Honorable mention:
          3rd Q 4:24 clock
          Chargers run effectively converting 1st down. Lamp + Tevi + Hill + Guyton all working together to create this lane. I am impressed by Tevi sliding off the double team with Henry to get on the OLB along with KJ Hill sealing the outside. This is what good run blocking looks like and i hope to see more.

Want more? just ask

luv ya
          The really ugly is our call of a running play on first and 10 from our own 20 with 47 seconds left in regulation, forcing us into the immediate wasting of a timeout, giving us less time to move the ball closer for the potential game winning Badgley FG.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
            Outback Goon
            • Sep 2018
            • Australia
            • Send PM

you mean this play?

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
              Good stuff as usual NMC.

Not sure what coverage we were running but Kyzir did look lost. I can’t figure out why he had deep third but he didn’t recognize that route at all. 3 defenders 1 receiver and he is wide open. That was absolutely ugly!
              If you are right in your analysis... does that mean our Defensive Coaching stuff sucks?

I think Nasir is still a rookie, after all this is his first season playing right?

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                Good stuff as usual NMC.

ugly...true and that ws not a fast guy..... he was an old slow vet TE...... the kind of player badly coached defenses ignore and leave uncovered.......

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

ugly...true and that ws not a fast guy..... he was an old slow vet TE...... the kind of player badly coached defenses ignore and leave uncovered.......
                  Even in his 12 season, I wouldn’t call J. Cook slow. Bad execution of whatever coverage that was certainly though.

Are the saints a badly coached D because they had a coverage breakdown leaving MikeDub wide open by 15 yards?
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Compared to our Ds breakdown in the whole 2nd half?No.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                      Outback Goon
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Australia
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The really ugly is our call of a running play on first and 10 from our own 20 with 47 seconds left in regulation, forcing us into the immediate wasting of a timeout, giving us less time to move the ball closer for the potential game winning Badgley FG.
                      So after analysing the play you asked for:

I say it was absolutely a good play call. If Tevi makes that block, Jackson is 1on1 with safety and outside blocking giving him a lane to get out of bounds. The 3 recievers on the other side were well covered by 4 defenders. It was similar to a play run in the 1st Q which went for big gain, so a good choice to come back to it and slow down that pass rush:

See almost identical plays. Good blocking makes it work, bad blocking makes it fail. Cant blame coaches for this one.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Nice work, Chili. Maybe the Bolts should go to a Cover-2 at times, with two deep free safeties. Adderley was too busy watching the play on his left, and was too late to commit to stopping the play to his right.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍