Who was saying players dont take less money to play for a contender?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Some players are smart enough to realize that you can get carried away with the money/value. Dielman described that he was not entirely comfortable with Seattle and the pitch they made about their offense, then when SD upped their offer (or changed the structure of the deal), he reconsidered and signed back with us. My recollection was that it was for more money up front, but that may not be right.

AS far as giving a player a bonus, players understand some teams cannot fork over the same size bonuses upfront. They are often willing to accept deferred bonuses and bonuses that are guaranteed, but don't kick in till later in the contract. I know we have done a lot of that in the past. I first remember it with Marco Coleman, but I know Rivers and Leaf both got bonuses that were guaranteed in years 2 or 3 or something, in addition to the initial bonus they got at signing. Teams don't always like those bonuses, since if the guy ends up busting, you are stuck with paying a bonus for a player you no longer have and cannot pro-rate (after they get cut).

The other thing players have accepted is just more money in year 1 of the contract. NO matter how bad you play, teams are stuck with you, so that 1st year is as good as bonus money, and 2nd year is almost as good.

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

I don't claim to be contracts savvy, but I'm beginning to think the the term "Gauranteed Money" is like the term "Illegal Alien". The money isn't really gauranteed and illegals aren't "illegal".
      sigpic

Comment

• sandiego17
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Guaranteed Money is guaranteed, its the back ended non-guaranteed portion that's the issue.
        Last edited by sandiego17; 06-26-2013, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
          Guaranteed Money is guaranteed, its the non-guaranteed back ended non-guaranteed portion that's the issue.
          When Dielman did sign his contract I remember some site saying it was a great deal because Dielman got more upfront but that it was a deal that he could actually see all the way through.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• sandiego17
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Shame about Dielman, but it goes to show why these guys value guaranteed money.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I remember after the re-signing Dielman saying that the money wasn't the only thing that motivated him to stay, but he couldn't see himself waking up everyday in Seattle, vs. San Diego. Sunshine and warm weather do mean things for some people.

Comment

• sandiego17
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I think Dielman got a fair deal vs. the Seattle offer and continuing to play with Rivers was a factor.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Looks like he made the right choice then, and the right choice to retire when he did. Best of luck to a warrior OL.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Hopefully the legend that is DJ Fluker rids the team of the chicken shit Gaither aroma and brings back some of the Dielman Warrior memories.

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                      I remember after the re-signing Dielman saying that the money wasn't the only thing that motivated him to stay, but he couldn't see himself waking up everyday in Seattle, vs. San Diego. Sunshine and warm weather do mean things for some people.
                      I remember reading that as well.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                        I don't claim to be contracts savvy, but I'm beginning to think the the term "Gauranteed Money" is like the term "Illegal Alien". The money isn't really gauranteed and illegals aren't "illegal".
                        There are also bonuses that kick in later in a contract. Roster bonuses, workout bonuses or deferred bonuses, which are often not guaranteed. They put some of those in deliberately to force the teams to make a long term decision about the players or cut them at the start of the league year, in time for FA.

If a team does want to attract a player, you can guarantee those types of bonuses. Even if they don't get the money at signing the players and agents know they are going to get the money. The teams can get screwed if the player flops, like we did with Gaither. But if you aren't the Redskins or Cowboys (or 49ers after their new stadium opens), teams can't always afford to give all the money up front, so they spread the payment out.

Comment

• Big Dog
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

OIP is correct. Although Seattle's offer was $48.2 million, it was also over 7 years AND less guaranteed money. This is critical because lots of players singe large 7 year contracts but they go 6-6-6-6-10-15-20; guess what year they renogiate, extend or get cut?

We do it too, remember Garay's 2 year $6.6 M contract ... well it turned out to be 2012= $1.6M 2013=$5M ... guaranteed money is what it is all about!

Seattle "his agent, Mike McCartney, called to tell him about Seattle's seven-year, $48.2 million offer."

San Diego "The next morning, the Chargers stepped up with a six-year, $39 million deal, including $17 million in guarantees."

Source: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...-dielman_N.htm

PS - but it is bad form to piss on the legend of beloved Saint Dielman

Comment

Working...
                          X