Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Not voting because I don’t think my position has been fairly depicted
    Cliche but it’s true, “Chess not checkers”
    all you chest beaters can have your moral victories
    low hanging virtue fruit
    Losing in 2020 helps the organization’s long term goal of winning a world championship IF it leads to a coaching change and the picks help a lot too.
    I hope we either win every game or lose every game, but my obligation to be realistic obliges me to root for what I think is most realistic to reach our goal
    and risking our greatest asset in Herbert by asking him to work miracles and bail out this Oline led by this headcoach is not smart.
    everyone who wants to fight tooth and nail for 2020 better not complain if/when Herbert ends up sitting next to our 2ns best player Bosa concussed on the bench.
    they better not complain if we keep Lynn and finally realize 2 years later he wasn’t qualified and we just wasted 2 of Herbert’s rookie years.
    likewise, if we end up winning the superbowl, I will not pretend that I believed that was possible or was right about ANYTHING about this team.
    and Lynn supporters accuse ME of needing instant gratification!? Some fucking balls.
    im literally willing to sacrifice being rewarded now with meaningless victories for better future odds.
    ill never criticize anyone on a Charger message board for rooting FOR victories, but talk about short sided, you act like you’ve never had a bad season before.
    Again, this isn’t hate, this is coming from love
    I do not want to pick 15th overall for the next 15 years
    Maybe I’m singing a different tune if it wasn’t painfully obvious to me that we have a potential MVP talent at QB idk
    but call is losing, tanking, whatever it takes, we need Lynn gone as priority 1 and Sewell would be the most promising addition possible
    wish I could like this more than once. sure tanking is a loser's mentality in the short run. but the team is going NOWHERE this season with this coaching staff. if tanking means we rid of them, get better coaches, AND a shot at one of the top prospects then hell yeah I'm for it. Look what it got the team this last draft...JH! Now that is thinking towards the future...not instant gratification.

Comment

• jubei
      Vagabond Ninja
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
      It is crazy how some people are pining away for Sewell...never considering that in order to have a shot at that guy, we will have to perform so poorly this season, our roster will be in need of a lot more than just a LT.

I don't want us to lose any more games, and I won't root for us to lose...not until it's clear there will be no turning this thing around.

Would much rather win 5 or 6 games, showing that there is some talent on this roster, and that our coaches can get their head out of the sand and coach. Better that than sucking so bad that we are picking top 5.

I can still have fun draft dreaming and playing GM this offseason with a pick in the teens...especially since for us to do that, we finish strong, and go into next season with a winning mentality in the locker room...and probably a lot fewer problems that will actually need addressing in the off season, than if we finish 4-12.

So week in and week out, I'm not gonna celebrate how we move up in the draft order...cuz if we stay where we are at...if we suck that bad...we won't be competing next year.
      if we lose a buncha games is it because of lack of talent or lack of coaching? IMO there is talent on this team right now; definitely more talent than what the record shows. coaching...not so much. And I'm not in the belief that winning carries over to the next season. This team is living proof of it when they went to the POs a couple of years ago and then tanked last season.
      Last edited by jubei; 11-19-2020, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
        It is crazy how some people are pining away for Sewell...never considering that in order to have a shot at that guy, we will have to perform so poorly this season, our roster will be in need of a lot more than just a LT.

I don't want us to lose any more games, and I won't root for us to lose...not until it's clear there will be no turning this thing around.

Would much rather win 5 or 6 games, showing that there is some talent on this roster, and that our coaches can get their head out of the sand and coach. Better that than sucking so bad that we are picking top 5.

I can still have fun draft dreaming and playing GM this offseason with a pick in the teens...especially since for us to do that, we finish strong, and go into next season with a winning mentality in the locker room...and probably a lot fewer problems that will actually need addressing in the off season, than if we finish 4-12.

So week in and week out, I'm not gonna celebrate how we move up in the draft order...cuz if we stay where we are at...if we suck that bad...we won't be competing next year.
        I always root for the team to win, but I accept the reality that the coaching has killed us this year and is likely to continue to do so.

IMO, the talent is there to turn things around immediately. With our passing attack, we have been able to jump out to big leads against good teams. When we have gone turtle conservative on offense, we have allowed the momentum to shift. That is purely due to bad coaching and that can easily be fixed by bringing in a head coach that emphasizes the passing game for us instead of trying to force the running game. A little more play calling variation on defense would not hurt either and I think that will happen with the new DC that comes with the new HC..

Regarding our draft pick, if we are picking early, the only players I am seeing out there for us are Sewell and Parsons. I am on the fence about Surtain versus trade back if Sewell and Parsons are off the board. A trade back would net us another second round pick and possibly an OL player like Humphrey or Leatherwood in round 1. In theory, that would give us 5 picks in the first three rounds and in the top 100 as I have seen us projected to have the top overall compensatory pick in the 2021 draft.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

I voted for finish strong.

I always want the chargers to win. The draft is a crap shoot anyway.

I want a new coach too, and I think that is coming.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• WindsorUK
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Windsor, U.K.
            • Send PM

I think part of tanking is trading away players that aren't part of our future, not just coaching to lose( which our group doesn't need help in !)
            I've seen no reason to pay guys like MW of HH top money. Yes, they both are decent players but do we REALLY see them being paid as elite for their positions? How about Melvin Ingram? He hasn't even come CLOSE to a QB since he returned.
            This team needs a rebuild, from the top down. Many here say we're too talented to be 2-7. Our record says otherwise.
            There are however enough serviceable guys on the roster to bring back draft picks over the next few years to help rebuild around our 2 anchors( Bosa and Herbert).
            We've been treading water since LT left, under the belief we were just a few players away from being a title contender. Where has that gotten us? Break it down, rebuild. Plenty of other teams around the league have ascended to prominence from the depths in the time we've just stood still or gone backwards.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
              I think part of tanking is trading away players that aren't part of our future, not just coaching to lose( which our group doesn't need help in !)
              I've seen no reason to pay guys like MW of HH top money. Yes, they both are decent players but do we REALLY see them being paid as elite for their positions? How about Melvin Ingram? He hasn't even come CLOSE to a QB since he returned.
              This team needs a rebuild, from the top down. Many here say we're too talented to be 2-7. Our record says otherwise.
              There are however enough serviceable guys on the roster to bring back draft picks over the next few years to help rebuild around our 2 anchors( Bosa and Herbert).
              We've been treading water since LT left, under the belief we were just a few players away from being a title contender. Where has that gotten us? Break it down, rebuild. Plenty of other teams around the league have ascended to prominence from the depths in the time we've just stood still or gone backwards.
              Mostly agreed, im hesitate but I think you’re right
              id want our new HC to be primarily involved in that decision and process
              As long as we keep Herbert upright and healthy, sign me up for the make over
              I will say that I’m comfortable letting anyone who can’t stay healthy walk, and I mean anyone.
              Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
                I voted for finish strong.

I always want the chargers to win. The draft is a crap shoot anyway.

I want a new coach too, and I think that is coming.
                finish strong
                win the games
                give Herbert success

its not like Telesco would pick Penei anyway

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

The common theme I am picking up here is that all faith in the coaches is lost, so lose out not only for the draft picks, but to get rid of the coaches...ok.

Friendly discussion, no reason to get triggered because some of us are stubborn, and want to see what talent we have rise up, play better, and win...meaning this roster isn't far from competing....

If you are feeling defensive about wanting to tank...that's just the winner inside you crying out "No!! Let's win out! Let's fuggin' go!!!" :stirringshit:

:More Q Please:
                  The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

I will say that I’m comfortable letting anyone who can’t stay healthy walk, and I mean anyone.
                    Unfortunately, with our leadership, I'm not sure that's going to be possible, brother. He who shall remain nameless hasn't allowed a strong character to run his team since AJ canned Marty. And we've seen the results.
                    Totally agreed on the injured. Best ability is still availability. Don't give a s**t if you look good in civvies standing on the sideline. Play, or you don't stay!

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

Unfortunately, with our leadership, I'm not sure that's going to be possible, brother. He who shall remain nameless hasn't allowed a strong character to run his team since AJ canned Marty. And we've seen the results.
                      Totally agreed on the injured. Best ability is still availability. Don't give a s**t if you look good in civvies standing on the sideline. Play, or you don't stay!
                      I think TT has more say in the HC than some people think...that isn't to say he will stick with Lynn, who he likes...barring a several win run to close out the season, I think he really will pull the trigger on Lynn...but I couldn't say whether he would be opposed to a strong presence at HC, who demands sweeping changes to the staff, and more say in personnel decisions...but is there even a guy out there like that? But if there was? I just don't think it will rest so much on what the Spanos think, as to whether TT wants to work with them. JMO
                      The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

I completely agree that MW and HH are good, but not great players, so they do not deserve top end money, but I would pay them fair money, which would be above average money for the position in both cases. I would definitely keep Ingram on a team friendly contract only. He still has value, but he is an older veteran whose best days are likely behind him at this point. I would already be splitting his snap count pretty evenly with Nwosu, which has not really been happening at this point.

Reagrding the 2-7 record, you have to assess why that is the case. I think the poor coaching is beyond obvious and is, by far, the primary culprit. It is not just me criticizing Lynn for taking too conservative of an approach with the offense. I mean you would never see Reid shying away from passing with Mahomes and Herbert is our Mahomes.

There are holes on every NFL roster and ours is no exception. This upcoming draft represents the first time we will have extra draft picks (9) instead of 7 or fewer as we have had in all of the other Telesco seasons. We also appear to be on track for drafting early in each round (which is my "the glass is half full" spin on an otherwise very frustrating season that had so much potential). So, we will have a chance to do some rebuilding. The OL is the obvious area of greatest need, but other areas have needs too and could certainly benefit from upgrades.

Comment

I am comfotable letting anyone who cannot stay healthy walk as well, but I view it as a sliding scale. I will put up with greater periods of injury if the player is really good. Players like James and Allen can have a couple of injury riddled seasons and I will still want to keep them because we know what we are going to get when they are healthy. But even top level players like those can be injured so much that teams need to move away from them.

Comment

Working...
                          X