• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hard Charger
    Chargers fan since 1977!
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Quitting is not in my DNA! That being said, struggling the rest of the season could help pave the way to hopefully make our team better through the draft and possibly coaching changes. I like AL, but as a RB’s Coach, not as our Head Coach and Special Teams is NOT even a phase of the Chargers game plan The big question is... Will the front office make the right decision in those arenas? You can drive the horse to the water trough, but in the end it will probably just piss a bunch, kind of like our front office. I just remember there was a time when we expected to win, now it’s the opposite!

Go Bolts!

HC

Comment

• eaterfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
      It is crazy how some people are pining away for Sewell...never considering that in order to have a shot at that guy, we will have to perform so poorly this season, our roster will be in need of a lot more than just a LT.

I don't want us to lose any more games, and I won't root for us to lose...not until it's clear there will be no turning this thing around.

Would much rather win 5 or 6 games, showing that there is some talent on this roster, and that our coaches can get their head out of the sand and coach. Better that than sucking so bad that we are picking top 5.

I can still have fun draft dreaming and playing GM this offseason with a pick in the teens...especially since for us to do that, we finish strong, and go into next season with a winning mentality in the locker room...and probably a lot fewer problems that will actually need addressing in the off season, than if we finish 4-12.

So week in and week out, I'm not gonna celebrate how we move up in the draft order...cuz if we stay where we are at...if we suck that bad...we won't be competing next year.
      I don't think that's true. The Chargers have only been out of one game this whole season. In 2019 the 49ers drafted 2nd. They went to the Superbowl the following season. Nick Bosa is really good, but I don't think he made all the difference.

The Chargers have a lot going for them and could be competitive as soon as next season whether they go 3-13 this year or 6-10. Additionally, the Chargers will have plenty of resources to fix the needs. 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. Derwin James, Chris Harris, and Austin Ekeler coming back fill three holes. The Chargers will also be under the cap (before cutting anyone) in a year where a lot of teams will have to cut good players and won't have money to spend because the cap is going down.

The team is currently in a position to get Sewell (I'd say 50/50 they would get him if the draft were held today). So they wouldn't have to play significantly worse than they currently are to get him. What holes do you think there are currently on the roster that can't be fixed in 1-2 offseasons.

I'll give you my list of what we need heading into next year:

1. OT, OG/OC (at least 1 of the 2)
      2. CB (maybe 2)
      3. Pass Rusher
      4. No. 2 WR
      5. Back up TE

Things that I wouldn't change:
      1. QB
      2. RB
      3. No 1. WR
      4. CB (Chris Harris)
      5. TE
      6. Bosa, Joseph, Tillery on the DL
      7. I like the LBs

We'll have 8 draft picks (4 in the first 3 rounds) and a lot of money to significantly upgrade the team in what should be the best buyer's market of my lifetime. We only really need to add a stud on the OL and at CB. The rest are just solid players for depth. I don't think much is going to significantly change my view of that over the next 7 games.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
        I think part of tanking is trading away players that aren't part of our future, not just coaching to lose( which our group doesn't need help in !)
        I've seen no reason to pay guys like MW of HH top money. Yes, they both are decent players but do we REALLY see them being paid as elite for their positions? How about Melvin Ingram? He hasn't even come CLOSE to a QB since he returned.
        This team needs a rebuild, from the top down. Many here say we're too talented to be 2-7. Our record says otherwise.
        There are however enough serviceable guys on the roster to bring back draft picks over the next few years to help rebuild around our 2 anchors( Bosa and Herbert).
        We've been treading water since LT left, under the belief we were just a few players away from being a title contender. Where has that gotten us? Break it down, rebuild. Plenty of other teams around the league have ascended to prominence from the depths in the time we've just stood still or gone backwards.
        agree that one of the soft spots in the team Tommy John operation is that they tend to overpay and be sentimental 'bout retaining "their" players.

if we offer MW, HH and/or Mel fair market value and they hold out for more, eye say hold the door open for 'em on their way out.

we cannot repeat our history of make MG3 offers for $10m/year.... prolly double if not triple his value.
        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Mostly agreed, im hesitate but I think you’re right
          id want our new HC to be primarily involved in that decision and process
          As long as we keep Herbert upright and healthy, sign me up for the make over
          I will say that I’m comfortable letting anyone who can’t stay healthy walk, and I mean anyone.
          am of the opinion that Telesco mainly does his best to keep his HC, scouting dept and Director of Football Ops happy, as have no reason to believe that he has much if any maverick blood in him, and rarely if ever puts his foot down and declares, my way or the hwy ?? anotherwords, he doesn't just keep Lynn in the loop, Lynn is his loop.... along w/young John and his scouting dept.

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I completely agree that MW and HH are good, but not great players, so they do not deserve top end money, but I would pay them fair money, which would be above average money for the position in both cases. I would definitely keep Ingram on a team friendly contract only. He still has value, but he is an older veteran whose best days are likely behind him at this point. I would already be splitting his snap count pretty evenly with Nwosu, which has not really been happening at this point.
            agree.... if the numbers make sense, you retain guys that are helpful.

is MW helpful/hold value @$15m ?? eye question that.

is HH worth $11m/year and for how many years ?? so far he has been barely above avg if that, and he's got an injury bug/history.... likeable guy that could get sentimental treatment from team Tommy John, not to mention that like MW, he's one of Telesco's own.... would Henry take a one year deal, if that's what was in the best interest of the team ??

and SupaMel.... can't see his agents not drawing a line in the sand, that team Tommy John should def stay well short of ??

and jftr.... not sure that Nwosu is anyone to count on, and given Telesco's track record of filling holes, do think the odds heavily favor a pass rusher/LEO w/our first pick.... 'specially given the developmental delays w/Tillery, Justin Jones not outperforming his draft slot, the declining years of Joseph, and the injury history of Joey.... don't think he can afford a ho hum opposite Bosa.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I think TT has more say in the HC than some people think...that isn't to say he will stick with Lynn, who he likes...barring a several win run to close out the season, I think he really will pull the trigger on Lynn...but I couldn't say whether he would be opposed to a strong presence at HC, who demands sweeping changes to the staff, and more say in personnel decisions...but is there even a guy out there like that? But if there was? I just don't think it will rest so much on what the Spanos think, as to whether TT wants to work with them. JMO
              can't get the image of Telesco's facial response during AL's first presser where he was introduced as the new HC of the Chargers, in Stub Hub (out of my mind).... just didn't look like Tom was too overly excited 'bout going forward w/AL ?? and clearly recall young John commenting that he thought AL was the "right" guy for this "juncture." to me that sounds a little on the side of a placeholder, albeit allowing for the chance that AL exceeds expectations ??

my sense/suspicion is that Spanos was the guy that made the call on Lynn, and that Telesco (once again) had little choice in the matter, and in typical Tom fashion prolly didn't voice much in the way of opposition ?? and given that I don't think Tom had much if any say in the McCoy hiring, really don't think he's had the chance to bring in his own guy, and.... maybe that's just not his style, and....

despite what I think are sometimes his draft failings and personnel misgivings, still like the guy in the big picture and am willing to give him a third go 'round if he is instrumental and fully on board w/our next HC hire, if and when that is what is next in store for us ??

on the other hand, it was easy to get on board the AL bandwagon when we rolled to 22-9, and admittedly not so easy to hang on thru these two now losing campaigns, 'specially given that I didn't like the way PR was (man)handled, nor did I see any great shakes by the removal of the Whiz, and so.... after his misspeaking of Herbie, really not overly enamored w/the Anthony Ray show atm, and given our record, the energetic of the building/org atm, really don't have any interest in sticking w/AL, and while on the other hand can find flaws in Telesco's track record, he is still a likeable guy and is coming off a draft pick that eye wasn't expecting near this much from, and of which am pretty much forced to give Telesco the benefit of the doubt there.

so my wish is for Tom to be instrumental and fully on board w/the hiring of any said new HC, and to be fully accountable for our personnel, including trading up for the likes of Kenneth Murray and Te'o, and the drafting of Jatavis Brown, and the like, or.... he perhaps should consider asking for a promotion to be John's VP of Football Ops and for the two of them to decide on our next GM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

I don't think that's true. The Chargers have only been out of one game this whole season. In 2019 the 49ers drafted 2nd. They went to the Superbowl the following season. Nick Bosa is really good, but I don't think he made all the difference.

The Chargers have a lot going for them and could be competitive as soon as next season whether they go 3-13 this year or 6-10. Additionally, the Chargers will have plenty of resources to fix the needs. 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. Derwin James, Chris Harris, and Austin Ekeler coming back fill three holes. The Chargers will also be under the cap (before cutting anyone) in a year where a lot of teams will have to cut good players and won't have money to spend because the cap is going down.

The team is currently in a position to get Sewell (I'd say 50/50 they would get him if the draft were held today). So they wouldn't have to play significantly worse than they currently are to get him. What holes do you think there are currently on the roster that can't be fixed in 1-2 offseasons.

1. OT, OG/OC (at least 1 of the 2) * Telesco has three OTs, 2 OCs and one OG.... my guess is that an OG or two is tops on the list for the Oline, unless he opts to sign Turner
                2. CB (maybe 2) * full house here w/Hayward, Harris, Facyson, Tevaughn Campbell and Mike D. if someone lands in his lap, fine.... but guessing the hole to fill in the secondary is @safety
                3. Pass Rusher * on paper, the easiest thing to do is to resign Mel, but if you're guaranteed either a Gregory Rousseau or Twity Paye in the draft and his agents play hardball, the choice could be easy
                4. No. 2 WR * MW was drafted by Telesco and team Tommy John has affirmed its interest in bringing back their own, so see no reason that they would deviate from that @this juncture
                5. Back up TE * again, easy street is to bring back Virgil, and if AL is still here, am fairly certain he will be adamant 'bout having a blocking TE, and don't see too many in the draft or FA here either

1. QB * what do you do 'bout Tyrod ?? are you brave enough to make Stick your second stringer, or how much do you allocate in FA dollars to bring someone in to mentor young Justin
                2. RB * didn't like the idea of going into this season w/only Ekeler and JJ as our two mainframe RBs, and since Kelly hasn't picked up the slack, don't see how you can't prioritize this
                3. No 1. WR * dude is a solid, and would prolly greatly appreciate reinforcements along the Oline so that his QB has the time to get him the ball a bit more oft
                4. CB (Chris Harris) * this is an AL personnel move coming from the AL/Desmond dissonance, and given CHJr.'s age and diminishing returns on performance, not sure we shouldn't be looking @this
                5. TE * don't think we should be giving away monies here, and.... don't see a whole lot @TE in either the draft nor in FA
                6. Bosa, Joseph, Tillery on the DL * Tillery is a huge liability against the run until proven otherwise, Bosa has missed a chiton of games, and Joseph def needs an understudy behind him
                7. I like the LBs * me too.... 'specially if Denzel sees the field a little bit lot more

We'll have 8 draft picks (4 in the first 3 rounds) and a lot of money to significantly upgrade the team in what should be the best buyer's market of my lifetime. We only really need to add a stud on the OL and at CB. The rest are just solid players for depth. I don't think much is going to significantly change my view of that over the next 7 games.
                and good news is that we've got nine picks and counting....

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

1. OT, OG/OC (at least 1 of the 2)
                  2. CB (maybe 2)
                  3. Pass Rusher
                  4. No. 2 WR
                  5. Back up TE

1. QB
                  2. RB
                  3. No 1. WR
                  4. CB (Chris Harris)
                  5. TE
                  6. Bosa, Joseph, Tillery on the DL
                  7. I like the LBs

Not often I "like" a post that has quoted me for the purposes of debating against me, but...love the attitude. The quick turnaround in this league is something I believe in, especially the last several years...

I may come off as self righteous with the "never say die" attitude....truth is, a few more losses, and I will be right there in your camp. I'm just not there yet.....

However...I will point out that I am not so sure about us having a ton of money, or that we will be able to lean on FA's to turn this thing around next year...cap is going to plummet, remember?

Big turnaround from a top 5 picking team would be all about coaching and health. Game plan, management, and special teams as far as coaching....and can we not start the year with 8 or more "on paper" starters already out...some for the season? Henry, Williams, Bosa, James, Adderley, Verrett, Gordon, Lamp....all these first and second rounders with significant time missed early in their NFL careers...we really have had some bad luck there....come to think of it, Ingram and Perryman too...am I missing anybody? And that's just first and second rounders...

The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Jagged
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Omaha, Nebraska
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    Not voting because I don’t think my position has been fairly depicted
                    Cliche but it’s true, “Chess not checkers”
                    all you chest beaters can have your moral victories
                    low hanging virtue fruit
                    Losing in 2020 helps the organization’s long term goal of winning a world championship IF it leads to a coaching change and the picks help a lot too.
                    I hope we either win every game or lose every game, but my obligation to be realistic obliges me to root for what I think is most realistic to reach our goal
                    and risking our greatest asset in Herbert by asking him to work miracles and bail out this Oline led by this headcoach is not smart.
                    everyone who wants to fight tooth and nail for 2020 better not complain if/when Herbert ends up sitting next to our 2ns best player Bosa concussed on the bench.
                    they better not complain if we keep Lynn and finally realize 2 years later he wasn’t qualified and we just wasted 2 of Herbert’s rookie years.
                    likewise, if we end up winning the superbowl, I will not pretend that I believed that was possible or was right about ANYTHING about this team.
                    and Lynn supporters accuse ME of needing instant gratification!? Some fucking balls.
                    im literally willing to sacrifice being rewarded now with meaningless victories for better future odds.
                    ill never criticize anyone on a Charger message board for rooting FOR victories, but talk about short sided, you act like you’ve never had a bad season before.
                    Again, this isn’t hate, this is coming from love
                    I do not want to pick 15th overall for the next 15 years
                    Maybe I’m singing a different tune if it wasn’t painfully obvious to me that we have a potential MVP talent at QB idk
                    but call is losing, tanking, whatever it takes, we need Lynn gone as priority 1 and Sewell would be the most promising addition possible
                    Thanks for speaking my mind.... perfect.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Tanks for the future memories! suck it up buttercups. You’ll feel much better in 2021 if you take your medicine now.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

49ers brought in a boatload of key free agent acquisitions that year. Chargers are getting next to nothing from all there past free agents(with the exception of joseph).

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if they tank. I want each loss to be of the mindfuck variety where you go to yourself: "how was that possible?"

Comment

Working...
                          X