Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

2019-2020 Draft Picks Not Contributing

Justin Herbert is of course the exception. He is probably the best player of the entire 2020 draft, and looks to be the best of the 3 QBs who went in the top of the draft, even though he was the third one taken. But he was a no-brainer pick, and a bit of a stroke of luck for Telesco that he appears to be better than everyone thought.

However beyond Herbert, the picks in the last two drafts are underwhelming and this is contributing to the Chargers' struggles this season.

The best player in the 2019 draft appears to be 4th rounder Drue Tranquill and he is not playing this season. Tillery is a decent situational player, but his best role appears as a part-time pass rusher or as a backup to Joey Bosa, not the 3-down interior anchor DL he was drafted to be. Adderly is just a guy right now, and I'm not sure what Pipkins is. Stick, Egbule and Broughton are non-factors.

Evaluating below the Herbert pick in this year's, Kenneth Murray is not the impact player we were expecting. He's just a guy too at this point, he hasn't flashed any playmaking ability and for this Telesco gave up high picks in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. There are UDFAs who are better RBs than Joshua Kelley. With the two RBs ahead of him on the depth chart at the beginning of the season out with injuries, Kelley has not stepped up and is backing up a guy signed off the street (Ballage). At this point, I think Pope brings more pop to the running game than Kelley. Reed, Gillman and Hill are pretty much non-factors at this point. Reed has at least scored once, but neither he nor Hill are contributors in the passing game, and two UDFAs are getting more playing time and make more plays than either. Gillman was supposed to be the answer for AP leaving, but I don't think he's played a single snap.

It's too early to speculate on a redo for either draft, but I will point out that some damn good WRs went in the 2nd round last year (Deebo Samuel, Mercole Hardman, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf). Metcalf came off the board a few picks after Adderly. Given the rather sizeable drop-off at WR after Mike Williams since Ty Will's departure, it's a damn shame we didn't nab one of those guys. Chase Claypool was available in the 2nd round this year. There was some decent OL talent available high in the 2nd round in last year's draft as well.

When you compare the last two drafts to the 2018 draft, you see a big difference. Derwin James was a no-brainer pick too, a stroke of luck that he fell so far into Telesco's lap. Even with his injuries, at this point I would not want to have drafted anyone else. When you evaluate past James in the 2018 draft, you see players who are contributing: Nwosu, Justin Jones, Kyzir White, QBerry, Justin Jackson. The only bust in the draft was Cantrell, with Justin Jackson on the injury bust bubble.

This team needs more from the 2018 and 2019's rookies, and Telesco can't afford to have another lackluster draft in 2021.
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    This team needs more from the 2018 and 2019's rookies, and Telesco can't afford to have another lackluster draft in 2021.
    Perhaps these guys aren't all stiffs and just are not coached very well. Food for thought...

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Perhaps these guys aren't all stiffs and just are not coached very well. Food for thought...
      This!....t hey are mis used and badly coached.....

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Justin Herbert is of course the exception. He is probably the best player of the entire 2020 draft, and looks to be the best of the 3 QBs who went in the top of the draft, even though he was the third one taken. But he was a no-brainer pick, and a bit of a stroke of luck for Telesco that he appears to be better than everyone thought.

However beyond Herbert, the picks in the last two drafts are underwhelming and this is contributing to the Chargers' struggles this season.

The best player in the 2019 draft appears to be 4th rounder Drue Tranquill and he is not playing this season. Tillery is a decent situational player, but his best role appears as a part-time pass rusher or as a backup to Joey Bosa, not the 3-down interior anchor DL he was drafted to be. Adderly is just a guy right now, and I'm not sure what Pipkins is. Stick, Egbule and Broughton are non-factors.

Evaluating below the Herbert pick in this year's, Kenneth Murray is not the impact player we were expecting. He's just a guy too at this point, he hasn't flashed any playmaking ability and for this Telesco gave up high picks in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. There are UDFAs who are better RBs than Joshua Kelley. With the two RBs ahead of him on the depth chart at the beginning of the season out with injuries, Kelley has not stepped up and is backing up a guy signed off the street (Ballage). At this point, I think Pope brings more pop to the running game than Kelley. Reed, Gillman and Hill are pretty much non-factors at this point. Reed has at least scored once, but neither he nor Hill are contributors in the passing game, and two UDFAs are getting more playing time and make more plays than either. Gillman was supposed to be the answer for AP leaving, but I don't think he's played a single snap.

It's too early to speculate on a redo for either draft, but I will point out that some damn good WRs went in the 2nd round last year (Deebo Samuel, Mercole Hardman, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf). Metcalf came off the board a few picks after Adderly. Given the rather sizeable drop-off at WR after Mike Williams since Ty Will's departure, it's a damn shame we didn't nab one of those guys. Chase Claypool was available in the 2nd round this year. There was some decent OL talent available high in the 2nd round in last year's draft as well.

When you compare the last two drafts to the 2018 draft, you see a big difference. Derwin James was a no-brainer pick too, a stroke of luck that he fell so far into Telesco's lap. Even with his injuries, at this point I would not want to have drafted anyone else. When you evaluate past James in the 2018 draft, you see players who are contributing: Nwosu, Justin Jones, Kyzir White, QBerry, Justin Jackson. The only bust in the draft was Cantrell, with Justin Jackson on the injury bust bubble.

And people say this is a really talented team.

Mike Williams is so overrated.

They do have players who show progress. Like Tevi for one. It's not totally all on the coaches. Yes, the coaching is atrocious. But there are players on the roster who contribute just as much to the losing record. The talent fielded on the roster is every bit as much to blame as the play-calling.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

I personally think Tillery would flourish in a 3-4 as a weakside end with Bosa on the other end and Joseph at NT.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

if and as Telesco is under contract and is here for next season, there are three things I wish he'd do:

1) trim some of the overdone AJ fat from the scouting dept, as guessing that the reason that they are still here is that young John personally worked w/them under AJ and feels some sort of loyalty/kumbayah w/them and just doesn't have it in him to let them go, and.... he should, as Telesco's personnel record is def in question, and all variables need to be minimized/eliminated if a fair eval of Tom is to ensue.

2) bring in some outside reinforcements, as the two names I've volunteered are Daniel Jeremiah as Asst GM, and John Dorsey as VP of Football Ops.... reason being is that it just doesn't seem that Telesco is the leader of the ship kinda guy and is much more a "general" manager, and thinkin' someone who is more of an independent thinker and w/a bit of maverick to them might be of some help.

3) name his own coach, and.... even tho young John prolly cannot keep his hands outta the cookie jar, don't think it should be someone that Telesco has reservations on, and rather someone that he is all in on, as think the time has come to put Telesco's mettle to the test.... either you're our GM or your not.

https://boltbeat.com/2020/11/20/la-chargers-tom-telesco-hot-seat/3/

and re: the last two HCs, really think that the McCoy hire was a group think hire, w/Ron Wolfe in on things and much more so than Telesco, and that the notion of getting the hot young upstart offensive mind won out over a seasoned vet HC (Arians), and.... re: AL, think Spanos decided he needed a more "LA" type coach, that could come in and give them some traction upon entering upon virtual Raiders turf, and (Spanos) decided that Anthony Ray was that guy for that juncture in Chargers football history, and as they made their move to LA.

speaking for myself, AL has been alright and we have def had our highs, albeit from my vantage point the dude has a bit too much alley cat to him for my liking, as much prefer someone a bit more SoCal, and why eye think D. Shaw is the perfect guy for the post, as think he far and away would have the best chemistry w/team Tommy John.... and that includes Dave Toub, who somehow didn't win them over in his job interview to start with.

so in total, would like to see Shaw round out the team Tommy John trinity, given that Telesco is entirely comfortable w/Shaw as his HC going forward, and he trumps any and all coaches interviewed.

https://boltbeat.com/2020/11/20/la-chargers-tom-telesco-hot-seat/2/
            RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Boltdiehard
              The Precious
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

When I saw this thread title I thought it was the beginning of the Fire Telesco! brigade.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

... and Telesco can't afford to have another lackluster draft in 20xx.
                Change the year and we’ve been saying that for years now ... just sayin’ ...
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

I think coaching is a big part of the teams problems. And if you tell me - the Spanii will only fire one, either Telesco or Lynn - not that I think Telesco deserves a third hire - but I would pick TElesco (granted, holding my breathe on the hire). I just don't think he is a good coach . I have seen enough.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Cant agree enough!Dude had a few high picks fall into his lap but other than that he hasnt done anything very impressive draft wise,especially when it comes to our garbage trenches.And if he is the lead voice on picking coaches that really doesnt help his case.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

One thing Telesco hasnt done which is a big whiff imo is there have been two really deep WR classes recently. This past one and and last years and we didnt get not one of the higher rated WRs.

Joe Reed i like but hasnt had any playing time as a WR but has run two runs on revereses, and Hill who was a value pick imo but isnt getting used either while we play Tyron Johnson a little and Guyton. Both have speed but as WRs their talent isnt some big potentual though Guyton has made a couple of catches on go routes. Just a speed thing really and Herbert made the throws.

IMO their is much more potentual to the offense with guys like Claypool, Gibson(playing RB for WA), Metcalf, McLauren, Deebo, ....to name a handfull. I could name more as some here know.

I think WR is important to a QB and yes we have Keenan and MW but after that its weak sauce (MW has missed a game and gone out of another an Keenan went out of a game early) and has been while these two classes are loaded and we really get nobody compard to what we could of done.

To me thats a fail.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post
                        When I saw this thread title I thought it was the beginning of the Fire Telesco! brigade.
                        I didn't want to make it about that. I wanted to make the point that the two most recent draft classes are underwhelming and that is translating into disappointment on game day. If the conclusion is that Telesco has done a poor job drafting, then maybe he needs to be looked at. Some are of the opinion that poor coaching of these young players is why they are under-performing.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍