• Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Proposal: New NFL Rule

I propose a new rule for NFL owners.

If NFL owners refuse to provide an adequate offensive line for their star quarterback - see Joe Burrow - the team's owner must start and play a full quarter at QB, behind that same offensive line at The Super Bowl Halftime Show. Fans vote for the worst franchise care-taker when they vote for Pro Bowl ballots.

If the owners survive their internal injuries, they'll likely sell.

Best Halftime Show Ever.

//I'm sick about Burrow, our offensive line has sucked for a decade, stuck with a front office that can't/won't draft Offensive Line talent and I'm trying to re-direct my frustration creatively, thanks for humoring me. If you've got a new rule. Share it, love to hear it. eace:
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Here's a rule I'd like to see for realz.

PI flags inside 2 mins of each half that result in a gain of 10 yards or more automatically reviewed in New York. PI is so subjective and the rule is inconsistently enforced. They are often damagingly punitive and far too many times bad calls have changed the outcome of games, even entire seasons. There needs to be more consistency in how these penalties are called. Erroneous and ticky-tack calls need to be weeded out and not be allowed to change a team's fortunes. The reviewer in New York would have 30 or 45 seconds to either uphold or reverse the call on the field (while the clock is stopped of course).

Comment

Originally posted by ghost View Post
      I propose a new rule for NFL owners.

If NFL owners refuse to provide an adequate offensive line for their star quarterback - see Joe Burrow - the team's owner must start and play a full quarter at QB, behind that same offensive line at The Super Bowl Halftime Show. Fans vote for the worst franchise care-taker when they vote for Pro Bowl ballots.

If the owners survive their internal injuries, they'll likely sell.

Best Halftime Show Ever.

//I'm sick about Burrow, our offensive line has sucked for a decade, stuck with a front office that can't/won't draft Offensive Line talent and I'm trying to re-direct my frustration creatively, thanks for humoring me. If you've got a new rule. Share it, love to hear it. eace:
      I am not here to say that the Bengals have a good OL, but Burrow was sacked exactly zero times on 34 attempts against WFT. It seems like the OL was battling it out pretty effectively against WAS leading up to Burrow's injury.

Part of the problem earlier in the season with the Bengals giving up a bunch of sacks was that Burrow was holding the ball way too long just like Finley did when he came in for Burrow. Finley was sacked 4 times with only 10 passes attempted.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I am not here to say that the Bengals have a good OL, but Burrow was sacked exactly zero times on 34 attempts against WFT. It seems like the OL was battling it out pretty effectively against WAS leading up to Burrow's injury.

Part of the problem earlier in the season with the Bengals giving up a bunch of sacks was that Burrow was holding the ball way too long just like Finley did when he came in for Burrow. Finley was sacked 4 times with only 10 passes attempted.
        Joe Burrow is on pace to get sacked a near-record 75 times - Sept. 30, 2020

The rookie QB is on pace to be sacked just one less time than David Carr in a rookie year that derailed his career.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/9/30/21493789/joe-burrow-bengals-qb-nfl-record-sacks-allowed-season-offensive-line

Comment

The rookie QB is on pace to be sacked just one less time than David Carr in a rookie year that derailed his career.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/9/30/21493789/joe-burrow-bengals-qb-nfl-record-sacks-allowed-season-offensive-line
          You have referenced an article written on September 30th, just three weeks into the season. Burrow was getting sacked a lot earlier in the season. As I said, and as Burrow himself acknowledged, part of the cause of that was because he was holding the ball too long (just like Finley did when he entered the game for Burrow last weekend).

In his last 5 games, Burrow was getting sacked an average of two times per game, with no single game in that span producing more than 4 sacks.

Wentz and Wilson both have been sacked more than Burrow this year despite attempting fewer passes.

QBs sacked a higher rate per pass attempted than Burrow include (in addition to Wentz and Wilson) Daniel Jones, Lamar Jackson, Gardner Minshew, Sam Darnold, Dwayne Haskins, Alex Smith, Kyle Allen, Tua Tagovailoa, Jeff Driskel, Ben DiNucci and Mitchell Trubisky.

QBs sacked at about the same rate per pass attempted include Deshaun Watson, Matthew Stafford and Jimmy Garoppolo.

Basically, Cincinnati's offensive line, while not great, is not that bad at pass protection even among teams this year, much less among teams historically. Also, Washington is a top 5 team in sacks per game. And again, Washington had zero sacks against Burrow.

The narrative you are attempting to sell about Cincinnati's OL is overstated.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/11/02/carson-palmer-cincinnati-bengals-were-mess-and-disaster/4140193002/

Carson Palmer: Cincinnati Bengals were 'mess and disaster'

From the jump ... everybody, every single person - NFL people, agents, ex-quarterbacks I had talked to that were since retired and moved on - said, 'You can't go to Cincinnati. You can't go to Cincinnati. It's a quarterback graveyard.' ... I, at the time, was arrogant, young dumb, 20-year-old kid, and I was like, 'I'm gonna go there and make a difference. I'm gonna go there and change it. I don't care what all these people are saying.' ... I was naive. I didn't want to believe it and want to hear it. And I thought, 'Well, they haven't had me. I'll go there and change it.' ... I thought I was the difference-maker. I thought, 'The organization doesn't matter. The players on the field are what matters.' And I was 100 percent wrong. All that matters is the organization. Because great organizations get the right players. So I was wrong on that. And it was just an accumulation of so many things. - Carson Palmer, Cincinnati QB
            You've got to be consistently trying to build a championship team. If you're just kinda sitting there and hoping somebody falls in your lap, it's hard to do it that way. You've got to have the ball bounce your way a number of times in the playoffs. And you've got to get lucky here and get lucky there. You look at New England and there's not a lot of luck. And lot of that is built specifically. You look at what Pittsburgh's done the last 20 years, there's not a lot of luck involved in that ... you look at what Seattle's done, there's not a lot of luck. ... That's not hoping that somebody falls to you in the draft. That's being manipulative of the draft and moving players and churning up rosters and building the right chemistry in the locker room and there's so much that goes into it, it's just not a lucky thing. In order to be successful in the NFL, the organization is of the utmost importance. - Carson Palmer, Cincinnati QB

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

One thing not mentioned much here is the question: "Has Herbert made our o-line better?" How does a a QB "protect" the o-line from stacking up losing battles? I think Herbert is erasing lots of mini battles in the trenches by making Pro-Bowl level plays, conversions, and TDs.

Comment

This does not have much to do with your original post or with what actually happened regarding Burrow.

However, I will accept as true that teams that assemble good teams have good teams.

I disagree with the notion that there is very little luck involved as there is clearly some. For example, if Carson Palmer's knee did not get injured, how would the Bengals have done? How would the Patriots have done if they did not use a ho-hum 6th round draft pick on Brady?

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

This does not have much to do with your original post or with what actually happened regarding Burrow.
                  LOL

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

However, I will accept as true that teams that assemble good teams have good teams.

I disagree with the notion that there is very little luck involved as there is clearly some. For example, if Carson Palmer's knee did not get injured, how would the Bengals have done? How would the Patriots have done if they did not use a ho-hum 6th round draft pick on Brady?
                    Has to do with Spanos being a shit owner who wont spend to hire the right people and step back and let them run the football operations and tell his Sons to just sit at their desk and dont touch anything.

11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                    181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                    225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st ➡️ 253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Has to do with Spanos being a shit owner who wont spend to hire the right people and step back and let them run the football operations and tell his Sons to just sit at their desk and dont touch anything.
                      Correct. The #1 Rule of Business: Hire people smarter than yourself and delegate. Only the smartest get this golden rule right, because they possess the power to micro-manage and they simply can't help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I do not fault Spanos too much. I think a lot of people have a pretty strong "Spanos is the bastard that moved the team" bias against Spanos that clouds their thinking.

For most of this century, I think Spanos has done an okay job. Butler, A.J. and Telesco have been average to very good in their time as GM. Marty was a good head coach. I do not blame Spanos for the situation that created the need to hire Norv Turner. I do not blame Spanos for trying rising names as first time head coaches even though neither have worked out.

On the whole, I would say that our GMs have been above average, our players have been well above average, and our coaches have been below average. I am not in a position to assess what John has done and say that it was good or bad. To me, it is clear that Telesco is the football mind that is providing the key input on football personnel moves, but I do not discount the possibility that John may have acquired football knowledge over the years. I can neither confirm, nor deny that, but, at a minimum, he has certainly had some exposure that should have enhanced his knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                        X