Front Office: Who Decides on the Next Chargers Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Front Office: Who Decides on the Next Chargers Head Coach?

I think establishing a history of facts is important:

First Alex Spanos brought in GM John Butler and Assistant GM AJ Smith in.

Alex Spanos wanted Marty Schottenheimer as head coach and it was so.

GM AJ Smith hired Norv Turner. AJ Smith said at the time 'Now I am on record as having hired a head coach.'

Above was the last time a Charger representative went on-record about choosing a head coach. A singular act of full transparency and accountability in the Chargers hierarchy not seen since. In fact, since 2008 to 2020, the Chargers have regressed in that area to the point that I can name the five in the room who came to the final decision on McCoy back in 2013: Dean, John Spanos, Telesco, Ed McGuire, and Ron Wolf.

2017 - Anthony Lynn Honestly, I'd be guessing but I heard rumblings about John Spanos being the loud trumpet for Lynn.

2020 - IF Anthony Lynn is fired on January 4th, 2021, who makes the decision?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want Dean, AG,& John to clean house.

Kick John upstairs and hire a GM. Call John Dorsey. Interview him. Hire him.

If they want to fight for LA, they better come up with ballsy coaching decisions the way they spent in free agency in 2020.

jag 1.png

Jag 2.png
    Jag 3.png
  • foreigner
    Tom Telesco is gone
    • Sep 2013
    • Send PM

We want Deano to grow a set.. that's all we want... the rest will come on its own...

:troll:

Comment

• Eurobolt
      *** Jim Harbaugh ***
      • Sep 2018
      • Send PM

Lynn will decide he will be reassigned by TT

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

I don't even think they know.

Comment

• SuperCharged
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Utah
          • Midnight Toker
          • Send PM

Priority #1 should be O'line going forward. Protect The Kid at any and all costs. We need a top 10 line. It will bring us a championship if not multiple ones.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Sewell no matter what
            .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
            .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
            .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
            .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
            .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
            .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
            .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
            .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
            .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• BigBad
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              Sewell no matter what
              Bengals are going to get him.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

I want the person that decides the next head coach , if Lynn is fired, to channel their inner Beathard or Butler and hire Boss Ross or, "quite frankly", Marty again.

Jeez - just give me that damn football coach. Thats it - just a solid football coach. I don't need razzle,dazzle on offense or the next guy who invents the 46 defense, just a good solid coach. The guy who brought up Wade - I know he is 73- but that guy is a good solid NFL coach . Well on defense, he is more than that

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                  I want the person that decides the next head coach , if Lynn is fired, to channel their inner Beathard or Butler and hire Boss Ross or, "quite frankly", Marty again.

Jeez - just give me that damn football coach. Thats it - just a solid football coach. I don't need razzle,dazzle on offense or the next guy who invents the 46 defense, just a good solid coach. The guy who brought up Wade - I know he is 73- but that guy is a good solid NFL coach . Well on defense, he is more than that
                  This is the longest stretch of futility as a Charger fan I've ever watched. From 1978 to 1987, we had Fouts. I was happy. 1988 to 1992 was a desert, the only thing the Chargers fan could look forward to was the draft.

Then, Alex got mad and hired GM Bobby Beathard.

In 2003 Alex Spanos got mad again and hired GM John Butler.

Speaking as someone who has witnessed over 40 years of Charger history, it tells us this team is due for a new football GM to come in. Spanos ownership history shows us - when losing gets intolerable for ownership - we get a new GM, the fans are rewarded with results on the field.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

This is the longest stretch of futility as a Charger fan I've ever watched. From 1978 to 1987, we had Fouts. I was happy. 1988 to 1992 was a desert, the only thing the Chargers fan could look forward to was the draft.

Then, Alex got mad and hired GM Bobby Beathard.

In 2003 Alex Spanos got mad again and hired GM John Butler.

Speaking as someone who has witnessed over 40 years of Charger history, it tells us this team is due for a new football GM to come in. Spanos ownership history shows us - when losing gets intolerable for ownership - we get a new GM, the fans are rewarded with results on the field.

My earliest recollections of the Chargers were the mid 70's - I remember a game in Cincinnati once. But really, it was when Coach Coryell took over - 1978, the year of the Holy Roller. Great times with bad play-offs.

But these NorVisorLynn years have been a struggle. Marty was the last really good coach this team had. I am just sick of the pattern of hiring new first time HCs from the offensive side of the ball

Look at the data Coryell, Ross and Marty have had more success than Gilbride, Lynn, McCoy and Al Saunders. I know Mike Riley was a HC at Oregon State; June Jones, intermi with Atlanta, Hennings sucked. Norv have some good moments - but he is Norvous Turner But you see a pattern - offense, offense offense.

But Bobby Ross was a head coach - not sure his background was offense or defense but he was a solid coach. Marty - more defense/special teams oriented I think

So, Spanii - if you want to keep Telesco and hire a first time HC - just try Dave Toub. He has worked for many good coaches, he will be cheaper but at least its a different mindset.

Joe Brady, Kellen Moore and ARthur Smith haven't done jack s**t , for to, to earn the title. Maybe Bieiniemy - but thats it.

And this stigma that Pagano, Schwartz, Bowles, Dennis Allen are failed head coaches may not be totally true. Pagano had a good record in Indy.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

My earliest recollections of the Chargers were the mid 70's - I remember a game in Cincinnati once. But really, it was when Coach Coryell took over - 1978, the year of the Holy Roller. Great times with bad play-offs.

But these NorVisorLynn years have been a struggle. Marty was the last really good coach this team had. I am just sick of the pattern of hiring new first time HCs from the offensive side of the ball

Look at the data Coryell, Ross and Marty have had more success than Gilbride, Lynn, McCoy and Al Saunders. I know Mike Riley was a HC at Oregon State; June Jones, intermi with Atlanta, Hennings sucked. Norv have some good moments - but he is Norvous Turner But you see a pattern - offense, offense offense.

But Bobby Ross was a head coach - not sure his background was offense or defense but he was a solid coach. Marty - more defense/special teams oriented I think

So, Spanii - if you want to keep Telesco and hire a first time HC - just try Dave Toub. He has worked for many good coaches, he will be cheaper but at least its a different mindset.

Joe Brady, Kellen Moore and ARthur Smith haven't done jack s**t , for to, to earn the title. Maybe Bieiniemy - but thats it.

And this stigma that Pagano, Schwartz, Bowles, Dennis Allen are failed head coaches may not be totally true. Pagano had a good record in Indy.
                      Not once did you mention the GM in the past 45 years of football you've witnessed. It's ALL about the talent in the front office picking the players and coaches. It's all about the GM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Not once did you mention the GM in the past 45 years of football you've witnessed. It's ALL about the talent in the front office picking the players and coaches. It's all about the GM.
                        Beathard was a good GM
                        John Butler was a good GM

nobody had a better draft than Tommy Prothro in 1975
                        I think AJ Smith had his moments but his ego got the best of him

Telesco has had some hits but he has had some major misses
                        --trading up in the first round and Te'O, Attaochu and Gordon -- now Murray
                        --except for Keenan, he had a lot of whiffs in round 3

So trading your 4th rounder and missing on 3rd rounds - not good

I personally think Telesco should be fired - I don't trust him to hire a 3rd HC. And even if John SPanos is in the room - oh well. I would love Riddick as the GM. Daniel Jeremiah is an intriguing name to me as he REALLY knows the talent and what the roster needs more than anybody from other teams.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍