Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

The James Dilemma

what to do about arguably our best defender in Derwin James (as Bosa has a career day, no disrespect of course)
    the dilemma I speak of is simply the fact that our entire defense depends on his ability to wear multiple hats
    and the fact that he is hurt all too often
    I think most everyone would agree that he is MUCH too talented to give up on while on his rookie contract

one thing is clear to me, we need to intentionally end out DEPENDENCE on Derwin
    to do this we must sacrifice the idea that we're going to maximize his ability
    we simply have to give him less to do, in whatever scheme we choose to deploy.

my humble suggestion is that he become our number 2 CB
    we don't ask him to man up against the opponents number 1 WR, I htink that might be asking too much
    but he sure as hell can eliminate any number 2 receiver imo
    this way, if he gets hurt, we only need to replace our number 2 CB, and not our EVERYTHING

of course this move implies we have a number 1 CB and no one on the current roster is talented enough to play man, so for now
    we double cover with a S, but getting an elite man CB is a top priority
    i've mentioned before, but imagine trading for Gilmore and having James as number 2, David our number 3 etc
    dont forget about adderly, i know the consensus is that he is a better S prospect, but i dont think thats set in stone
    with 1 splash trade or drafting of an elite CB prospect, and tinkering with James and Adderley, we can plausibly have our CBs solved while gaining independence
    from James' strangle-hold of the defense.

we can find suitable S prospects in the lower rounds, in house (Jenkins, Alohi?) or affordably in FA

keep an open mind, and let me know whatchu think
    TIA
    .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
    .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
    .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
    .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
    .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
    .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
    .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
    .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
    .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA
  • foreigner
    Tom Telesco is gone
    • Sep 2013
    • Send PM

I keep saying he currently is no more than a Jason Verret to me... you can't play injured....

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

I am not giving up on him yet - because he is my favorite player on the team

but he needs to stay healthy

Comment

• BigBad
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

A guy like him is a nightmare for a GM. He will end up being great next year then Telesco has to decide if the two injured years or the two productive years are what James actually is.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
          Pretty much retired......
          • Sep 2018
          • JoJa
          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
          • Send PM

Injured players have a great habit of playing well in their contract year.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

I hope James is more like Keenan Allen than Verrett. KA came back after missing a season and a half to injury and is a perennial Pro Bowler and iron man for the Chargers.
            Verrett was phenomenally unlucky when it came to injuries early in his career. The Chargers finally did have to move on, but Verrett didn't give up and is playing really well for another team (49ers). I'd hate to see this happen to Derwin. I don't want to give up on him.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              what to do about arguably our best defender in Derwin James (as Bosa has a career day, no disrespect of course)
              the dilemma I speak of is simply the fact that our entire defense depends on his ability to wear multiple hats
              and the fact that he is hurt all too often
              I think most everyone would agree that he is MUCH too talented to give up on while on his rookie contract

one thing is clear to me, we need to intentionally end out DEPENDENCE on Derwin
              to do this we must sacrifice the idea that we're going to maximize his ability
              we simply have to give him less to do, in whatever scheme we choose to deploy.

my humble suggestion is that he become our number 2 CB
              we don't ask him to man up against the opponents number 1 WR, I htink that might be asking too much
              but he sure as hell can eliminate any number 2 receiver imo
              this way, if he gets hurt, we only need to replace our number 2 CB, and not our EVERYTHING

of course this move implies we have a number 1 CB and no one on the current roster is talented enough to play man, so for now
              we double cover with a S, but getting an elite man CB is a top priority
              i've mentioned before, but imagine trading for Gilmore and having James as number 2, David our number 3 etc
              dont forget about adderly, i know the consensus is that he is a better S prospect, but i dont think thats set in stone
              with 1 splash trade or drafting of an elite CB prospect, and tinkering with James and Adderley, we can plausibly have our CBs solved while gaining independence
              from James' strangle-hold of the defense.

we can find suitable S prospects in the lower rounds, in house (Jenkins, Alohi?) or affordably in FA

keep an open mind, and let me know whatchu think
              TIA
              Trade with the Patriots for Adrian Phillips in the off-season.

Derwin James will be fine. Just needs a solid high safety to work in-tandem with (Adderley is on-the-fence with me, wanted to love him). This is why Bradley's Cover Three only thrives when you have the Eraser at SS. Cam Chancellor & Derwin James were those Erasers who could come down in the box as a hybrid LB. Next snap, he's in coverage as a hybrid safety.

Alohi will be out of the league in three years.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Why would you want to change his position to stop him from doing what makes him most valuable?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
                  Why would you want to change his position to stop him from doing what makes him most valuable?
                  Right - if he going to get hurt he is going to get hurt

But he is a difference maker on the field... Bosa, Tranq, James and I still have hopes for Murray in a new scheme with better coaching - thats the makings of a defense.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

I know it sounds counter intuitive
                    but his “position” is TOO critical to the success of our defense as it’s designed currently, we don’t have a backup capable of replacing him.
                    so when James is out, we aren’t able to adjust adequately
                    By putting him at CB2 we balance out our dependency while still extracting value as a shutdown CB2.

or we can just wait until training camp when he brakes something and we have our thumbs up our butts.
                    .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
                    .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
                    .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
                    .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
                    .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
                    .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
                    .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
                    .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
                    .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      I hope James is more like Keenan Allen than Verrett. KA came back after missing a season and a half to injury and is a perennial Pro Bowler and iron man for the Chargers.
                      Verrett was phenomenally unlucky when it came to injuries early in his career. The Chargers finally did have to move on, but Verrett didn't give up and is playing really well for another team (49ers). I'd hate to see this happen to Derwin. I don't want to give up on him.
                      Difference between Keenan though is he tore both his ACLs. That surgery is like having Tommy John surgery for a pitcher and that ligament is replaced by a tendon in a pitcher and a ACL. He will never tear that again. Derwin still has his ACLs and his meniscus and foot has been his issue.

Frank Gore tore both his ACLs in college and has been very durable as a RB in the league since.

But you cant play like you will be hurt and move him someplace else where he wont be a effective. Just stay the coarse and hope he holds up. He isnt small like Verrett is and the pounding takes it toll more on him.
                      Verrett is very talented but this is the first season in the last three and a half that he has played in more than 4 games.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

We technically have him for two years with the fifth year option.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍