Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Is The Raider Model The Way To Go?

Okay 2018 and Raiders are the laughing stock at 4 - 12 AND they have sucked for years. Davis spends 100 million bucks to hire Jon Gruden. A guy with a Lombardi in his past but lots of miles too, AND he had walked into the booth many years before. So he goes 7 - 9 in 2019.....Raiders still suck right? Well that was better than us. Fast forward to 2020 and he is 7 - 5........ Granted a wobbly 7 - 5 after his miracle Jets win BUT they did kick KC's ass once and played them tight the second time AND they beat New Orleans (and us too)......

Just looking at the facts here it seems that the Raiders are getting bang for their veteran Chucky bucks. So this begs my question......do we go the Raiders way??? Maybe a Dungy in our future? Or??? Spanos HAS to make a splash to sell tickets in 2021 so maybe the example is right under his nose???

Thoughts?
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

I think you get what you pay for - and the Raiders paid good money for Chucky, hired Mayock and are a better team because of it. The Chargers, well, the Spanii, would be smart to spend a bit more dough at the HC position My number 1 option - healthy willing would be Urban Meyer. Second guy, Brian Kelly. Winning sells tickets - find a coach that has been a winner as a HC before.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Let's wait until the Raiders actually accomplish something before copying that model. They aren't even a playoff team currently and are a bonehead play call away from losing to the winless Jets and being 6-6.

Of course, since we are 3-9 being 6-6 would be something...

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
        Okay 2018 and Raiders are the laughing stock at 4 - 12 AND they have sucked for years. Davis spends 100 million bucks to hire Jon Gruden. A guy with a Lombardi in his past but lots of miles too, AND he had walked into the booth many years before. So he goes 7 - 9 in 2019.....Raiders still suck right? Well that was better than us. Fast forward to 2020 and he is 7 - 5........ Granted a wobbly 7 - 5 after his miracle Jets win BUT they did kick KC's ass once and played them tight the second time AND they beat New Orleans (and us too)......

Just looking at the facts here it seems that the Raiders are getting bang for their veteran Chucky bucks. So this begs my question......do we go the Raiders way??? Maybe a Dungy in our future? Or??? Spanos HAS to make a splash to sell tickets in 2021 so maybe the example is right under his nose???

Thoughts?
        Get Cowher out of the booth. Gruden shows that it can be done. Win for the chin

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Thoughts?
          The problem is Spanos only cares about money and he gets paid the same if the team wins or loses because all owners share the TV deal........ the other issue is that coaching salaries are not part of the required cap..... instead coaching salaries come out of the owners pocket or profits..... so Spanos will never shell out for a major expensive coach..... look at last few hires...... all were unqualified cheap desperate coaches....... and the third thing is Spanos always requires any HC he hires to accept the horrible existing coaches ..... and he will never give a HC full control of the team and personnel.......

Comment

• La Costa Boy
            • Sep 2018
            • JoJa
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I would roll with Bill.......

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Gruden is 18-26 in his 2nd stint with the Raiders. Not a very good return on a $100 million investment.

Comment

• Ceramic
                Chargers are pathetic
                • Sep 2020
                • OC
                • Send PM

Cheap ass owner won't spend money on a coach. No way, no how!

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

I’m a fan of the approach
                  give a proven HC 10 years to not have to look over his shoulder.
                  ballsy
                  key word, “proven”
                  Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                    • Sep 2018
                    • JoJa
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    Gruden is 18-26 in his 2nd stint with the Raiders. Not a very good return on a $100 million investment.
                    I look at his record like this. 2018 he inherited a big bag of shit......new systems, new coaches same old owner and he goes 4 - 12. 2019 the team is now his and Maycock's and he makes them 7 - 9. That's a nice improvement from a .250 winning percentage to a .438 winning percentage or to borrow baseball parlance, a game under 500. So this year he is 7 - 5 after 12 games or a .583 winning percentage. He is definitely trending up and yes he got a gift from the Jets. But as we are fond of saying round these parts a win is a win and nothing is a given in the NFL.

All I am saying is that he has the Raiders trending in the right direction. Can we find that??? Somebody said Cowher.....sure why not??? Dungy.....sure why not????

Now I know the Spanai are cheapos but at least this is something to talk about besides OUR .250 winning percentage.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

One thing about the Raiders current situation I am fascinated with: Jon Gruden is building a new house in Las Vegas. Derek Carr is building his new house, right next to Jon's.

Let me frame this properly, what are you thinking, kiddo?

Jon Gruden has replaced the GM, the scouts, the offensive line, the playbook, you get the point, everything.... I think this could be the year Gruden drafts his next franchise QB. Gruden, as we all know, likes to be known as a QB guru and there's no way Gruden goes forward without the QB he selected. Point is, Gruden didn't pick Carr, he inherited him.

Gruden has fiat to replace him and he will.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

LOL, Well you have big dreams with the names you throw out. Cower wont leave. He has bad knees and hips as said by his fellow co Worker Nate Burleson on air. If Cower wanted to coach again, he would of been out there already and probably for a better owner than Spanos. Why go back to work for a clown?

Same with Dungy. Id take him in a heart beat but he isnt leaving either. Now i know you will say it dont hurt to make the call,.... no it dont BUT dont you think both guys havent called numerous times already over the years? This isnt some new idea.

Not to mention Spanos isnt going to offer them the type of money it would take to intrique them. We will most likely get a first time HC again.
                        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                        X