• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
    Bieniemy is certainly intriguing because not only is he a part of the Chiefs and has some inside knowledge about Mahomes tendencies, he has also created a more diversified and adaptable offense that has thrived the last few seasons after the league had more tape on Mahomes.

The issue I have is that Herbert will have to learn yet another offense. He already had 3 offensive coordinators / schemes during his days at Oregon. He has thrived beyond expectation mostly under Steichen and Pep, so I would hate for Herbert to change offensive coordinator / scheme again so soon in his NFL career.
    Yet he was still drafted 6th and will be the OROY in yet another offense with little TC and no Preseason.
    Herbert will be fine.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

How about Robert Saleh?? The Chargers could then keep Steichen and Pep in place. Even after all the injuries this season in San Fran, the 49ers defense has still been solid!
      Franchise qbs are often tasked with changing schemes, especially after regime changes, it’s part of the job.
      You shouldn’t hire a HC around the goal of keeping Herbert in the same system unless the plan is to stick with stitch for the next 20 years
      Keeping a system should be seen as a plus, not a priority
      A good HC will continue to implement what is working well, and Herbert is a smart enough kid to be expected to learn new systems, imo he’ll thrive in any system, it’s the HCs job to identify the best system for his skill set and hire the best coordinator for that system
      Herbert’s changing of coordinators in college isn’t an argument FOR keeping him in our current system, it’s an argument against it, as it shows that he has been able to successfully adapt rapidly.
      If Herbert can’t adjust to a new offense, then he’s tied to the stitch offense and suddenly his value is limited.
      .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
      .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
      .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
      .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
      .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
      .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
      .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
      .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
      .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Franchise qbs are often tasked with changing schemes, especially after regime changes, it’s part of the job.
        You shouldn’t hire a HC around the goal of keeping Herbert in the same system unless the plan is to stick with stitch for the next 20 years
        Keeping a system should be seen as a plus, not a priority
        A good HC will continue to implement what is working well, and Herbert is a smart enough kid to be expected to learn new systems, i
        mo he’ll thrive in any system, it’s the HCs job to identify the best system for his skill set and hire the best coordinator for that system
        Herbert’s changing of coordinators in college isn’t an argument FOR keeping him in our current system, it’s an argument against it, as it shows that he has been able to successfully adapt rapidly.
        If Herbert can’t adjust to a new offense, then he’s tied to the stitch offense and suddenly his value is limited.
        I read if from Popper and bloggers on twitter and on here the first priority is finding an "OFFENSIVE MINDED" coach for Herbert. I watch games this year and its obvious the one area where Lynn (Steichen and Pep too) have succeeded is coaching Herbert.

If the coaching staff coached the defense, the special teams and gameday as well as Herbert has been coached (one can only conclude he has been coached well)-- this team would not be 3-9.

The Chargers need a HEAD football coach that can teach the players, game plan, hire good coordinators, communicate well with the GM on the types of players needed, build a culture. They don't need a damn offensive coordinator for Justin Herbert.

Now I don't want Herbert to have new coordinators like Rosen had at UCLA to Arizona to Miami to Tampa - but I am not keeping Lynn, Steichen and Pep just to give continuity to Herbert. He will be fine.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

I am not sure how long MM was coordinator there, but the Tebow experiment was mostly done with gadgets that would not have lasted long after the NFL had figured it out. As Reid has said, the hardest season for a young QB is during his second year as starter when coaches have had more tape on a QB. The Chiefs offense has flourished since Mahomes first season as starter when teams had much more tape on him.

I think Herbert will see many of the zone 0 coverages he struggled against in Miami until he figures it out. He will also see multiple fronts and disguises as well where the OL has also struggled.
          agree - the Tebow success was a trick shot 3-card monte, and the team had just an 8-8 record with one of the absolute best NFL defenses in a decade. Total misread on the MM brilliance there by not just LAC but consensus “smart guys”.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

agree - the Tebow success was a trick shot 3-card monte, and the team had just an 8-8 record with one of the absolute best NFL defenses in a decade. Total misread on the MM brilliance there by not just LAC but consensus “smart guys”.
            MM was hired because he became the OC for Peyton Manning in Denver... so my guess, Peyton really helped MM become a head coach
            and if the safety, Rahim Moore - doesn't misplay the pass from Flacco to Jacoby Jones - MM might never have been Chargers coach

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I did some reading and research, thought I would share:

1. Bienemy. The NFL front offices are not stupid. As someone mentioned, Bienemy has some off the field issues and they happened when he was playing at Colorado, then playing in the NFL, then coaching at Colorado. I thought maybe he just did something dumb when he was young. But there is a pattern of sorts. What I read is that he does NOT interview well and that has turned off some teams. Also some 'anonymous' NFL sources say that many feel he really is not an offensive coordinator, doesn't control the gameplan and he does not call plays. So there may be real good reasons why he doesn't get the job, year after year. Remember under Norval we had Sherman (also RB coach type) as our OC? How many think he was a real OC? But you don't see these in the articles much. I had to dig around a bit.

2. Josh "Joshy" McDaniels. Surprisingly, most have forgotten or give him a pass on what he did to the Colts and to the assistant coaches he set up just a couple years ago (Eberflus was his choice for DC, so he does have some good judgement of talent). But I did read he may have a hard time building a staff after he pulled the football away from Charlie Brown. His post Brady offensive is middling. His stint as the OC for the Rams was uninspiring. There is a long piece on bleacher report about how much he has grown since Denver. By the way, he had a lot of growing to do. Sounds like he was acting like a 6 year old then. He is a big fan of the wierd GM in Houston, which is another whole story, and claims he really helped him grow. Supposedly, McDaniels does NOT want to follow Belicheck in NE because of all the legacy stuff. And he is portrayed as very much like Belicheck in terms of brilliance, focus, attention to detail and eccentricities. Oddly I read that he is not as personable as Belicheck. Did not think anyone could be less personable than Bill. But he is super competitive and more animated. He wants everything just so at his next job and feels he can be choosy. He recognizes he screwed up and cannot/should not be the personnel man. But I wonder how much Telesco would let Joshy change things (like media relations, lockerroom, lots of minor details that people would fight over) and also since Telesco is a Colts man, how can he pull the trigger on McDaniels? One wrote that McDaniels doesnt like bigger WRs (like the Bolts have) but remember he drafted Denarius Thomas and that guy was huge so I don't buy that. But if you want a guy who won't let details that don't take skill (like clock management, right number of players on the field, running plays that the team know it can run) cause you to lose a game, he is step in the right direction there. I just can't stand him, though.

For those who want Harbaugh. Everywhere he goes, he wins initially and then everyone on the team, on and off the field, A(and the fans, too) starts to hate him and cant wait for him to leave. And it seems like the time it takes to get to the hating is getting shorter and shorter.

I wrote elsewhere I just dont get the Daboll hype. Offenses really never better than middle of the pack. Never been a head coach on any level. Just seems like a blah choice.

Kelly would be so great to have. Reminds me of Bobby Ross.
              TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

1. Bienemy. The NFL front offices are not stupid. As someone mentioned, Bienemy has some off the field issues and they happened when he was playing at Colorado, then playing in the NFL, then coaching at Colorado. I thought maybe he just did something dumb when he was young. But there is a pattern of sorts. What I read is that he does NOT interview well and that has turned off some teams. Also some 'anonymous' NFL sources say that many feel he really is not an offensive coordinator, doesn't control the gameplan and he does not call plays. So there may be real good reasons why he doesn't get the job, year after year. Remember under Norval we had Sherman (also RB coach type) as our OC? How many think he was a real OC? But you don't see these in the articles much. I had to dig around a bit.

2. Josh "Joshy" McDaniels. Surprisingly, most have forgotten or give him a pass on what he did to the Colts and to the assistant coaches he set up just a couple years ago (Eberflus was his choice for DC, so he does have some good judgement of talent). But I did read he may have a hard time building a staff after he pulled the football away from Charlie Brown. His post Brady offensive is middling. His stint as the OC for the Rams was uninspiring. There is a long piece on bleacher report about how much he has grown since Denver. By the way, he had a lot of growing to do. Sounds like he was acting like a 6 year old then. He is a big fan of the wierd GM in Houston, which is another whole story, and claims he really helped him grow. Supposedly, McDaniels does NOT want to follow Belicheck in NE because of all the legacy stuff. And he is portrayed as very much like Belicheck in terms of brilliance, focus, attention to detail and eccentricities. Oddly I read that he is not as personable as Belicheck. Did not think anyone could be less personable than Bill. But he is super competitive and more animated. He wants everything just so at his next job and feels he can be choosy. He recognizes he screwed up and cannot/should not be the personnel man. But I wonder how much Telesco would let Joshy change things (like media relations, lockerroom, lots of minor details that people would fight over) and also since Telesco is a Colts man, how can he pull the trigger on McDaniels? One wrote that McDaniels doesnt like bigger WRs (like the Bolts have) but remember he drafted Denarius Thomas and that guy was huge so I don't buy that. But if you want a guy who won't let details that don't take skill (like clock management, right number of players on the field, running plays that the team know it can run) cause you to lose a game, he is step in the right direction there. I just can't stand him, though.

For those who want Harbaugh. Everywhere he goes, he wins initially and then everyone on the team, on and off the field, A(and the fans, too) starts to hate him and cant wait for him to leave. And it seems like the time it takes to get to the hating is getting shorter and shorter.

I wrote elsewhere I just dont get the Daboll hype. Offenses really never better than middle of the pack. Never been a head coach on any level. Just seems like a blah choice.

TG
                good stuff.... Kelly does remind me of Bobby Ross. Kind of worked his way up the college ranks. Had jobs at smaller schools - granted Notre Dame is more high profile than Maryland or Ga Tech. But both did have to climb

I have read that Telesco has connections to Hoodie Jr and Brian Daboll - but I really wonder based on how many kids he has drafted from ND - what connections he has with Telesco. And with that - could Kelly be enticed to work with him knowing it will be similar to the situation in Seattle with Carroll/Scheider.

I know Little Spanii would still be in the room but Kelly might command something that the team hasn't had since Marty.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

One other item I forgot to include regarding Joshy. When Craft and Belicheck were working him over to stay, they never promised he would be next HC of the Patriots after Belicheck left. All involved, including McDaniels are consistent on that. But what they did promise was a lot more insight into salary cap, personnell evaluation, training camp design, and a lot of other non-on the field stuff. He claims to have learned a ton of stuff the last two years doing that. So Joshy can make a compelling case. But I still don't like him.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

The Daboll hype? I can't find anyone but myself and NFL Beat Writer Jonathan Jones who has even mentioned his name. But while you have....

Daboll coached offense under Nick Saban at Alabama. That's big, real freaking big. I don't care whether you like him, he's going to be one of the next great head coaches in the NFL. Same with Bienemy. Book it.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/report-why-new-bills-offensive-coordinator-brian-daboll-left-alabama/article_3ab2544d-5f48-5c30-acdc-b1d2b65ec0f5.html

Why Daboll left Saban.

The Tuscaloosa News reports that Daboll was frustrated with Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban because Saban wanted to stick with Jalen Hurts at quarterback when the offense was slumping in November while Daboll wanted to play freshman Tua Tagovailoa. The disagreement on personnel matters "weren't all that contentious, but they were frustrating," the report said.

“Brian did a tremendous job for us this past season at Alabama, and I know he will do a great job for the Buffalo Bills,” Saban said. “He is an outstanding coach and coordinator who put us in position to be successful each week. We appreciate all that he did in terms of his time and his dedication in contributing to the success we had this season. We wish Brian, his wife Beth, and their entire family all the best.”

As far as Bienemy not interviewing well, judge for yourself.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

TG
                      :wtf2:

Less Personable than Belicheck? Belicheck has the personality of a stiff board! I can't believe that McDaniels has the personality of a porcupine! LOL!

:beer:
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

The Daboll hype? I can't find anyone but myself and NFL Beat Writer Jonathan Jones who has even mentioned his name. But while you have....

Daboll coached offense under Nick Saban at Alabama. That's big, real freaking big. I don't care whether you like him, he's going to be one of the next great head coaches in the NFL. Same with Bienemy. Book it.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/report-why-new-bills-offensive-coordinator-brian-daboll-left-alabama/article_3ab2544d-5f48-5c30-acdc-b1d2b65ec0f5.html

Why Daboll left Saban.

As far as Bienemy not interviewing well, judge for yourself.
                        After watching that post game interview I feel like we hired the wrong former pro running back. It must be the legacy shit from his charger career that's holding him back here.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Chiefs OT Jeff Allen asking this dude for his source. lol

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍