• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

No one is knocking Daboll for being ranked in the 20's for the previous couple of seasons?

The problem I have always had with getting the "hot" coordinator, offensive or defensive, is that they usually have the best personnel.

1). How hard is it to call a great game if you can simply outperform the other team?
    2). They are being dropped back into a situation where they AREN'T going to have that top notch personnel again, so there is very little chance for them to pick up right where they left off with their old team.

I am not saying Daboll is great or awful, just this thing happens every year, and most of the guys who get hired by the new team is going to look like a great hire and they suck balls because the personnel sucks ... which is where we have been since Marty left.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

That’s always the concern with the “hotshot OC”
      and why I still have McDaniels as my number 1
      he WAS the “hotshot OC”
      been there, done that
      he’s 44 now and managing with a qb who can’t throw
      I’ve never been a proponent of his until this year.
      Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

HNY TPB !
        Hoping for a great 2021 for y'all !
        The Justin Herbert era is here !
        2022 SB here we come !
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          That’s always the concern with the “hotshot OC”
          and why I still have McDaniels as my number 1
          he WAS the “hotshot OC”
          been there, done that
          he’s 44 now and managing with a qb who can’t throw
          I’ve never been a proponent of his until this year.
          Good points about Daboll above - hot candidate because team is rolling. Thats how we got McCoy -he coached Peyton Manning

And why you like Josh McD - and I can see that has merit is why I am still okay with more experienced guys like Caldwell

I understand the Chargers might miss out on the next big thing in Arthur Smith or Joe Brady but I am doing trying to hit the jackpot with the young hire - get a more experienced coach. Also why coaches like Bowles, Chuck Pagano, maybe even Dennis Allen are not totally off my list.

Marvin Lewis Josh McD, Pagano, Bowles and Allen should be better prepared coaches the second time around.

Comment

• PR#1
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Comment

• eaterfan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              No one is knocking Daboll for being ranked in the 20's for the previous couple of seasons?

The problem I have always had with getting the "hot" coordinator, offensive or defensive, is that they usually have the best personnel.

1). How hard is it to call a great game if you can simply outperform the other team?
              2). They are being dropped back into a situation where they AREN'T going to have that top notch personnel again, so there is very little chance for them to pick up right where they left off with their old team.

I am not saying Daboll is great or awful, just this thing happens every year, and most of the guys who get hired by the new team is going to look like a great hire and they suck balls because the personnel sucks ... which is where we have been since Marty left.
              Why should they knock him. He started with a rough, raw rookie at QB. The offense has improved from 29th to 23rd to what it currently is. I think improvement every year and big improvement from the QB each season is exactly what I want! I think this shows evidence of a solid process. It shows the ability to adjust, adapt, and improve. I would be much more concerned if the results were 15th, 25th, 3rd, than what they are.

My issues with Lynn isn't his leadership. It's that he's results based and not process based. He is the same coach who can't make adjustments, can't adapt, and is making the same mistakes he made coaching in year one. Daboll has shown the opposite.

Also, I don't think Buffalo's personnel is so outstanding. The Charger's OL is worse than the Bills, but otherwise I'd take our offensive roster over theirs. If Daboll can put Herbert on the same improvement path as he had Allen on we're looking at Herbert becoming as good as Mahomes. Daboll has also learned under a lot of coaches who run different systems, so he is more adaptable than a lot of coaches.

Let's look at the other hot shot coordinators, too. Joe Brady. You're really going to argue that they have top talent? They have a place holder at QB, a backup RB, and a bunch of no namers at WR. Yeah, their offense isn't at the top of the league, but he's getting the most out of what he's got. Arthur Smith? Derrick Henry wasn't looking great before he got there. He turned a bust in Tannehill into a great QB. Sometimes putting players in a position to succeed and doing the things they do well helps the talent shine through.

And what you say about coordinators can be said about retread coaches as well. McCarthy stinks and so many people thought that would be a good hire. Assuming bad coaches learn in their time away is a mistake. Guys don't automatically get better because they've done it before. Do you think Lynn will be better at his next stop?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Why should they knock him. He started with a rough, raw rookie at QB. The offense has improved from 29th to 23rd to what it currently is. I think improvement every year and big improvement from the QB each season is exactly what I want! I think this shows evidence of a solid process. It shows the ability to adjust, adapt, and improve. I would be much more concerned if the results were 15th, 25th, 3rd, than what they are.

My issues with Lynn isn't his leadership. It's that he's results based and not process based. He is the same coach who can't make adjustments, can't adapt, and is making the same mistakes he made coaching in year one. Daboll has shown the opposite.

Also, I don't think Buffalo's personnel is so outstanding. The Charger's OL is worse than the Bills, but otherwise I'd take our offensive roster over theirs. If Daboll can put Herbert on the same improvement path as he had Allen on we're looking at Herbert becoming as good as Mahomes. Daboll has also learned under a lot of coaches who run different systems, so he is more adaptable than a lot of coaches.

Let's look at the other hot shot coordinators, too. Joe Brady. You're really going to argue that they have top talent? They have a place holder at QB, a backup RB, and a bunch of no namers at WR. Yeah, their offense isn't at the top of the league, but he's getting the most out of what he's got. Arthur Smith? Derrick Henry wasn't looking great before he got there. He turned a bust in Tannehill into a great QB. Sometimes putting players in a position to succeed and doing the things they do well helps the talent shine through.

And what you say about coordinators can be said about retread coaches as well. McCarthy stinks and so many people thought that would be a good hire. Assuming bad coaches learn in their time away is a mistake. Guys don't automatically get better because they've done it before. Do you think Lynn will be better at his next stop?
                This is a good point. But experience should be helpful to any of the once hired/fired group (Josh McD, Pagano, Bowles, Dennis Allen, JIm Schwartz) -- granted one never knows either

There just isn't that Marty type out there - the closest is Jim Caldwell. Over .500 for both teams; went to a Super Bowl with Indy (and don't tell me its because of Manning - of course having an all-time great QB helps - look at Tampa last year to this year). Its why I am still bullish on Caldwell.

But Daboll has evolved the offense from a strong running game last year with Singletary/Gore to a strong passing game with Allen and Diggs. Say what you want about Josh McD - and yes Brady was QB but that offense has been different - they adapt to what the personnel they have.

Comment

Working...
                X