• Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Black Monday - HC Anthony Lynn Fired - Detroits New OC

AFC West.png EomCAN2UcAEXbHR.jpeg Record.jpeg

To update the above graphic, since Week Two.

The Chiefs are now 41-3

The Chargers are 13-29

One week from today, is Black Monday. I do not expect the Chargers to be among the organizations making changes.

My optimism for this team doing the right thing is pitch-black.

I am filled with unutterable loathing - Frederick Douglass

Share your optimism or commiserate below.

• chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

It's obvious the Bolts like AL, I do too, but I've seen him out-coached enough to want to part ways with him and I hope that's true for the Spanos family too
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

[QUOTE=ghost

Their thoughts might be to give Lynn and Telesco one more chance, then fire both of them at the end of the next season when they fail.

This happened before with Norv/AJ.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

[QUOTE=powderblueboy;n1159546][QUOTE=ghost

Their thoughts might be to give Lynn and Telesco one more chance, then fire both of them at the end of the next season when they fail.

This happened before with Norv/AJ.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could find the quote, but Andy Reid is being interviewed -- talking about first-time coaches, who aren't going to make it. Andy said they flamed out in their 3rd or 4th year. He said it hits you in the head like a baseball bat, and you can't do anything to right-the-ship. Reid just described Mike McCoy and Anthony Lynn.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

I fear we bring Lynn back, wasting several more years of player's careers with this clown and the team eventually firing him in a couple of years after they finally see what most of us here see.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Anthony Lynn will return as coach of the Chargers next season (I don't know if they will extend his contract by one year or let him coach out his contract in 2021 to earn, or not earn, a new contract.) The three-game win streak has saved his job. The Spamnoses will be satisfied with that, regardless of the outcome of next week's game in KC. This is my opinion, based on observing the Spamnoses operate for 36 years. So, let's look at the positives of Anthony Lynn return next season:
            • Continuity - changing head coaches every few years is detrimental to a franchise. KC, New England, Seattle, Baltimore, among the league's most successful teams have had the same coach for a lengthy period.
            • Herbert - keeping him in the same system with the same coaches. Steichen and Hamilton played a role in Herbert having a record-setting season as a rookie. In year two Herbert is going to be much more comfortable and familiar with the system, and he will take huge steps forward, and he's already a top 10 QB.
            • The players still play hard for him. He hasn't lost the locker room, and to a player I think they all respect him.
            • Can the Spamnoses be trusted to hire a HC who is an upgrade over Lynn? Their track record is abysmal. Lynn did win his first two seasons. How do we know they won't hire another Mike McCoy?

Those are the best reasons I can come up with to keep Lynn. But Lynn must absolutely do two things:
            • Replace Gus Bradley. Bradley's scheme does not work with the personnel he has. Our next DC must design a defense that best exploits the talent this team has, not try to force his players to fit a scheme he is in love with but that doesn't maximize the strength of the personnel. Bradly seems to be very inflexible, unable or afraid to depart from his scheme and be creative with his game plans.
            • Lynn absolutely must let go of the offense he has wanted to implement since he got here and let Steichen develop an offense that maximizes Herbert's strengths. Lynn must have a "come to Jesus" epiphany with himself about this, or he will fail. This has been discussed ad nauseum recently on the Fox/CBS programs, about how coaches who are successful adapt to their players instead of forcing their players to adapt to them. Lynn had a once in a generation talent drop into his lap. Now he must adapt to that talent, not force Herbert to adapt to him. If he doesn't, he will fail.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              I fear we bring Lynn back, wasting several more years of player's careers with this clown and the team eventually firing him in a couple of years after they finally see what most of us here see.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

[QUOTE=ghost;n1159558]
                Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I wish I could find the quote, but Andy Reid is being interviewed -- talking about first-time coaches, who aren't going to make it. Andy said they flamed out in their 3rd or 4th year. He said it hits you in the head like a baseball bat, and you can't do anything to right-the-ship. Reid just described Mike McCoy and Anthony Lynn.

"When looking for a new head coach, Philadelphia Eagles president Joe Banner asked other teams' general managers for names of coaches that players complained about for being detail-obsessed. Reid arrived at his interview with a five inches-thick book on how he would run the team."

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

John Spanos, please pick-up the white courtesy phone.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

https://podcasts.apple.com/gh/podcas...=1000457157230

Start at 8:00. Take everything and extrapolate everything to John Spanos.

Bad head coach. Bad head GM. Bad owner. Their smiles say everything. Jerry looks apprehensive, as he should be.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Black Monday will become a holiday on the ghost calendar.

There will be a beautiful convergence of ideas.

The marketing department (AG)
                      ​​​​​​The scouting department (John-John)
                      The master of disaster (Deano)
                      The woman with common sense (Susan)
                      aka the Spanos braintrust.

They will realize the time is ripe to invest in
                      Urban renewal.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        Black Monday will become a holiday on the ghost calendar.

There will be a beautiful convergence of ideas.

The marketing department (AG)
                        ​​​​​​The scouting department (John-John)
                        The master of disaster (Deano)
                        The woman with common sense (Susan)
                        aka the Spanos braintrust.

They will realize the time is ripe to invest in
                        Urban renewal.
                        Woody, you mean the woman in the photo, should be the one I should be looking to, to do the right thing? I was asked to Photoshop her out by someone here, which would have proved to be the irony of ironies, no?

Spanos.png

Comment

Working...
                        X