• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
    TT hired the last two HCs. Dean Spanos announced that he would be fully involved in the decision that produced Staley. It definitely feels different.
    I see no reason to downgrade the Staley choice due to some level of TT involvement. At this time.
    However he will be available to serve as the burnt offering if Staley proves to be an incompetent amateur as HC.
    I'm going with Staley as a young Tiger Cub waiting to grow up....Lynn was the incompetent amateur HC.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I'm going with Staley as a young Tiger Cub waiting to grow up....Lynn was the incompetent amateur HC.
      I think Staley blew them (TT and spanos crew) away so much that they were like...umm this dude has way smarter football IQ than us. Our input is just let him do it (hire assistants/coaches).

Its like the Chargers were looking for a premium checkers player, got a freaking Bobby Fischer by accident, all the while having a fresh new Queen. What do you mean horses can make "L-shaped" moves!!!!!

Comment

• CivilBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

I think Staley blew them (TT and spanos crew) away so much that they were like...umm this dude has way smarter football IQ than us. Our input is just let him do it (hire assistants/coaches).

Its like the Chargers were looking for a premium checkers player, got a freaking Bobby Fischer by accident, all the while having a fresh new Queen. What do you mean horses can make "L-shaped" moves!!!!!
        And in doing so, jump over other chess pieces?!?!

Comment

• RTPbolt
          Charger Fan till the end
          • Jun 2013
          • North Carolina
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
          TT hired the two previous coaches right? I am of the opinion that he should not be given a pass more often than not when overall the Chargers have not been as successful as anyone of us would like. Again, unless I am missing something, which I will certainly apologize for.. looking back, TT made some questionable hires that should put more into question his abilities as a GM as well.

With all that said, TT has made some really nice moves also with the drafting of Bosa and Herbert, which for the most part were not popular at the time. Also, Heyward was one of the better FA signs of the past decade in my opinion considering how cheap at the time and the overall value he has brought to the Chargers! TT should at least feel his seat a warming.. although I am hopeful that he has finally hired the right coach and he will put together an all important OL unit to be consistently solid for the next decade or so.
          Absolutely TT hired the coaches and influenced the other coach hires too. The difficult part is you judge these people by personality, past performance of a team (they are 1 coach and dont really represent the entire team), what others say and football passion/intelligence....and probably other factors. You hire and hope and support for the best result, that they do what they think they can do. There are so many variables in players, injuries, covid, and so on that affect performance so its difficult to pin performance on the coach alone....but they tend to be the scapegoat. I've hire people where the way I judge them they would fit and learn themselves into the role and culture...im far more on personality based and have people that others said no to that ended up being top performers....they trained into the job and learned what they needed to combine to be great employees. That said any person can have shit go wrong and not have things in their control and results don't reflect the job they did. Hiring at that level is tough. The GM and HC has to bear the brunt of every little potential detail in running a team...its very different in responsibility. Sometimes they might walk into a situation and shit just goes right and they get glowing praise and vice versa.

To me TT has got to give these guys time but also hold them accountable. What looked good on paper for Lynn just didn't convert to results and in game management. Lynn was learning on the job and just didn't get it done. Still love the man for what he stands for but this gamble didn't work. I wish him luck. Mccoy had the resume but really lacked the people management level skills....probably not HC material in my book. Staley may not be a polished HC yet but he's certainly got the passion and X/O's mentality that has shown well in the Payton and McVay type coaches. He's going to take time to build this team and get all components working....Lots to fix/adjust but I have high hopes....7-9 isn't a bad club to take over and it was D and ST that were the trouble spots and he's definitely D focused so lets hope TT has this one finally managed well. Get it right and he's here for decades. Lets hope!

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post

Absolutely TT hired the coaches and influenced the other coach hires too. The difficult part is you judge these people by personality, past performance of a team (they are 1 coach and dont really represent the entire team), what others say and football passion/intelligence....and probably other factors. You hire and hope and support for the best result, that they do what they think they can do. There are so many variables in players, injuries, covid, and so on that affect performance so its difficult to pin performance on the coach alone....but they tend to be the scapegoat. I've hire people where the way I judge them they would fit and learn themselves into the role and culture...im far more on personality based and have people that others said no to that ended up being top performers....they trained into the job and learned what they needed to combine to be great employees. That said any person can have shit go wrong and not have things in their control and results don't reflect the job they did. Hiring at that level is tough. The GM and HC has to bear the brunt of every little potential detail in running a team...its very different in responsibility. Sometimes they might walk into a situation and shit just goes right and they get glowing praise and vice versa.

To me TT has got to give these guys time but also hold them accountable. What looked good on paper for Lynn just didn't convert to results and in game management. Lynn was learning on the job and just didn't get it done. Still love the man for what he stands for but this gamble didn't work. I wish him luck. Mccoy had the resume but really lacked the people management level skills....probably not HC material in my book. Staley may not be a polished HC yet but he's certainly got the passion and X/O's mentality that has shown well in the Payton and McVay type coaches. He's going to take time to build this team and get all components working....Lots to fix/adjust but I have high hopes....7-9 isn't a bad club to take over and it was D and ST that were the trouble spots and he's definitely D focused so lets hope TT has this one finally managed well. Get it right and he's here for decades. Lets hope!
            TT needs to be held accountable also. He needs to be held accountable for the coaches he hires. Lots of excuses and some are legit, but at the end of the day the more successful organizations hold everyone accountable, including, and I might even argue, especially at the executive level, then all the way down to each individual player. I am not sure if I am seeing that..

I will give TT the benefit of doubt right now, but how many coaches will he be around to both hire and fire? Three? Four maybe? I think there is a fundamental difference in our philosophy here, and that’s OK.. There are things I like about TT, but there are some lingering issues also that has me concerned..

Here is to hoping for the best Chargers years / era yet!!

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Agreed.TT needs to have a very strong offseason this year unlike last season or we need to go get a new GM.Simple,no more settling for good enough.That wont and hasnt got us even one trophy yet.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

One point I want to stress with Coach Staley is the emphasis he puts on getting to know the players first, then football. Brandon calls it aptly 'a rich player's perspective.'

To wit: RB Rocky Bleier was discussing his tour of duty in Vietnam with a reporter. A 16th-round draft choice by the Steelers in 1968 as a halfback out of Notre Dame, Bleier also was drafted by the U.S. Army in 1969. Eventually shipped overseas, Bleier was wounded in combat during the Vietnam War.

The reporter asked Rocky if he ever had any conversations about his war experience with Coach Chuck Noll.

Rocky replied: 'I never had a conversation with Coach Noll.'

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Yeah. Nice guy but in over his head.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                    One point I want to stress with Coach Staley is the emphasis he puts on getting to know the players first, then football. Brandon calls it aptly 'a rich player's perspective.'

To wit: RB Rocky Bleier was discussing his tour of duty in Vietnam with a reporter. A 16th-round draft choice by the Steelers in 1968 as a halfback out of Notre Dame, Bleier also was drafted by the U.S. Army in 1969. Eventually shipped overseas, Bleier was wounded in combat during the Vietnam War.

The reporter asked Rocky if he ever had any conversations about his war experience with Coach Chuck Noll.

Rocky replied: 'I never had a conversation with Coach Noll.'
                    There's a great book about Bleier called Fighting Back..I highly recommend it to all who have not read it. Bleier had a signficant chunk of his leg blown off by a land mine and came back to be a 1000 yd rusher. Great man and was a great player.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

My buddy is a Dayton grad, same class as ESPN's Dan Patrick, and he hooked on with the Bengals being a videographer shooting Bengals camp and games.

Ohio is the cradle of coaches, fair statement?

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

image_2021-03-08_130154.png

Proof Gus Bradley couldn't/didn't adjust at halftime.

this could be the most important hire in Chargers history.
                        - Final summation

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                          .'
                          "What people don't realize about the NFL is that it is a people business." - Marty Schottenheimer

Comment

Working...
                          X