POLL: Is It Time For The Spani To Quit Telling The Coach Who To Play?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
    I have a problem when they fire HCs and say it's a bottom line wins and loses business.
    And then allow a GM who is 8 games under .500 in 8 years to remain.

At least Elway made the decision of .....I am not getting it done. Let me hire someone else to pick the groceries and work with the HC.

Not Spanos. It was the HC didn't get it done with our groceries. Let try another HC, maybe he can cook up a consistent winner with what we put in the pantry. Didn't work. Let's try another. Didn't work. Let's try a 3rd HC. But since we paid top dollar for that lemon. You must use lemon in the dish. No substitutes. But HC and players know we need some pepper here to spice it up right.....not that lemon. Too bad. Find a way to get it done with the lemon.

We are committed to building a championship team and finding the right Head Coach..........who will do it our way.
    ​​​​
    Lynn was fired because....

1) your the top dog and responsible for controlling your underlings
    2) Had 4 years to prove he can adapt...he didn't
    3) Rivers and others supported him for the first two years while he learned and after that he didn't
    4) Most likely because of all of the above Lynn lost the locker room to some degree
    5) Spanos can't sell tickets in the new stadium and Lynn ran out of time to improve. Financial implications
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Lynn was fired because....

1) your the top dog and responsible for controlling your underlings
      2) Had 4 years to prove he can adapt...he didn't
      3) Rivers and others supported him for the first two years while he learned and after that he didn't
      4) Most likely because of all of the above Lynn lost the locker room to some degree
      5) Spanos can't sell tickets in the new stadium and Lynn ran out of time to improve. Financial implications
      U can add to that list all those terrible game calls and clumsy clock management, and the inability to make game adjustments...all of which, at one point or another, lost us games...

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

If it is the player I think it is (Franklin) then I am sure McCoy was not JUST being told to play a guy. They had spent a ton of money to get him (to fix the OL no less), but it was probably McCoy who had vouched for the guy, before the Chargers hired him. Then, when you look at it, it is not JUST Spani telling that he can't play him, it is that the coach has backed himself into a corner with his input to the personnel decisions.

There have been similar situations when coaches have named captains in the past, then the guy tanks. The coach is going to want to keep giving the guy chances, even though he doesn't deserve then and should be benched.

I'm not against the points made above, and ultimately it is the internal politics that are the issue, just saying it might be more complicated than just Spani clan saying play player A.

Ultimately, if I was McCoy, I bench the guy anyway. It they are telling you to play an inferior player, it is only matter of time till the whole ship goes down and the owners aren't going to purge the roster (first) or fire themselves, it is the coach that has to realize that they are on their way out one way or another. If the choice is one to the head or several to the body and slowly bleed out (moneyball reference), the outcome is the same.

Comment

Working...
        X