• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonio's Gates
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Billy Ray Smith

how does a guy that used to play football in the NFL know so little about the game? his preseason color commentary is brutal. he sounds like a guy who's never watched football and was given a football for idiots book two hours before the game.

nevermind the homerism.
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Probably from hanging with Kaplan.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Arkansas.

Comment

• thelightningwill
        Go Aztecs and Pads
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
        how does a guy that used to play football in the NFL know so little about the game? his preseason color commentary is brutal. he sounds like a guy who's never watched football and was given a football for idiots book two hours before the game.

nevermind the homerism.
        What did Billy Ray say?

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
          What did Billy Ray say?
          you want a list? he's just clueless, confuses players and praises players that didnt even make a play.

Comment

• TABF
            Por debajo del promedio
            • Jun 2013
            • SoCal
            • Send PM

He is a radio show host that played football. He is a glass half full guy and it comes out in every aspect. He never gets overly detailed (even though he could) and will spin most Chargers news, reports and evaluations to the positive.

Comment

• thelightningwill
              Go Aztecs and Pads
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
              you want a list? he's just clueless, confuses players and praises players that didnt even make a play.
              Give me some examples.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

He didn't strike me as particularly bad or good in that broadcast. He is what he is - a former player who is closely associated with the team. He does spend a lot of time at practice watching the team so given his "pro" Charger stance is really just filling the role they want him to.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Billy Ray is kinda like Dandy Don without the charm, wit, or brains. But I still like him (hate Kapkan though).

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I didn't hear much of Billy Ray on my viewing of the game, as I fast forward to the beginning of the next play. No one should expect a lot of x's and o's on a preseason broadcast where the broadcast team is usually paid by the team, or is on the station that is closely aligned to the team. In fact, they probably aren't doing the job if they over-analyze the game, because most fans aren't as interested as fans that hang out on forums like this, and would turn off the TV if that was the focus. The next game is on ESPN, not sure if it will be Tirico and Gruden, but stand by for the fluff up on both Cutlet and PR.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

Well, I caught some of the raiders game with the cowboys last night on NFL network, and if you think Billy Ray is bad...

Tom Flores and Jim Plunkett were doing color for Tom Pappa and it was almost excruciating.

They kept talking about how this guy and that guy came on last year and played, and really could become great raiders. Did they see the Raiders last year?

Oh, and Terrell Pryor is possibly the greatest quarterback drafted in the history of the NFL. They were bragging up his performance in the season finale loss to the chargers. (In which he completed less than 50% of his passes and threw a pick).
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                        Well, I caught some of the raiders game with the cowboys last night on NFL network, and if you think Billy Ray is bad...

Tom Flores and Jim Plunkett were doing color for Tom Pappa and it was almost excruciating.

They kept talking about how this guy and that guy came on last year and played, and really could become great raiders. Did they see the Raiders last year?

Oh, and Terrell Pryor is possibly the greatest quarterback drafted in the history of the NFL. They were bragging up his performance in the season finale loss to the chargers. (In which he completed less than 50% of his passes and threw a pick).
                        Raiders. Flores. Plunkett. That sounds like the Devil's trinity.

Comment

Working...
                        X