• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SYB
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Dean is probably freaking out. Their profit is shrinking with all these positions getting filled. I didn’t know there were this many positions under the HC. When we hired Lynn, I don’t remember people getting interviewed left and right like this.
    I don't either. I wonder if that had to do with Lynn already having an idea of who he was going to hire and didn't reach outside of that bubble to see if there were better candidates. I mean, we already know that he gave Stewart the ST's job when he hadn't coached that phase for 18 fucking years. And also handed him the Asst HC job when he had never been more than a positional coach, and not a highly sought after one at that. So it would make perfect sense that he didn't do his due diligence for the rest of the hires.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
      I'm hoping Staley retains Steichen. I believe a lot of Steichen's issues were due to Lynn's influence and with the right coaching staff he will shine.
      I dont think so. When he called a run at the end with no timeouts and it failed, Lynn looked at him and motioned to pass so that was Steichens fuckup.....twice!

Yes he will learn as time is experience but i dont want to see it again from him. Move on Stitch.
      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I dont think so. When he called a run at the end with no timeouts and it failed, Lynn looked at him and motioned to pass so that was Steichens fuckup.....twice!

Yes he will learn as time is experience but i dont want to see it again from him. Move on Stitch.
        I will say this - if after he has interviewed a few people and Steichen is deemed the best - -thats fine. But I hope he interviews a few candidates.

If there are up and comers like Gannon or Pleasant on defense, wonder who Staley sees for the offense - looking forward to it

Comment

• SYB
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

While the bolded can't really be argued. Let's also not forget how well our rookie QB played under his direction. If Staley is cool with bringing him back, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

While the bolded can't really be argued. Let's also not forget how well our rookie QB played under his direction. If Staley is cool with bringing him back, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.
            I still think Pep deserves a chance - he was involved with Herbert; had success with Luck

but like you said, won't lose sleep and will just see the entire staff

in many ways, the biggest hire is still ST coach.

Comment

• SYB
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I still think Pep deserves a chance - he was involved with Herbert; had success with Luck

but like you said, won't lose sleep and will just see the entire staff.
              true story entourage GIF

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

I don't either. I wonder if that had to do with Lynn already having an idea of who he was going to hire and didn't reach outside of that bubble to see if there were better candidates. I mean, we already know that he gave Stewart the ST's job when he hadn't coached that phase for 18 fucking years. And also handed him the Asst HC job when he had never been more than a positional coach, and not a highly sought after one at that. So it would make perfect sense that he didn't do his due diligence for the rest of the hires.
                Yep...they don't call him Loyal Lynn for nothing...so loyal he was guilty of cognitive dissonance...

cog.JPG
                Cognitive dissonance, the mental conflict that occurs when beliefs or assumptions are contradicted by new information.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I guess I remember Lynn’s staff a lot more than most here. It was more traditional though I think we had a a few guys with S&T background since we were trying to fix our injury problems from 2016. Obviously the bigger names were at the DC and ST position. Lynn did have multiple offensive coaches over the years including one who was essentially the analytics guy on 4th down.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Yep...if yer gonna clean house, DO IT ALL THE WAY!

Comment

• UglyTruth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                      Wow. A defensive passing game coordinator. That’s a bit unique. I guess the motivated only by being cheap Dean Spanos and his meddling backward thinking son John are letting Staley take some innovative approaches to his staff all while forcing the former assistant coaches on him?

TG
                      Man you must be related to the Spanos family at this point with how much you defend them. Spanos family are the worst owners in professional sports in North America and that’s a fact. Even James Dolan is jealous of how awful Spanos is. Everyone knows their clowns. They showed this time and time again and most evidently with the move to LA, a city that gives zero fucks about the Spanos nor the Chargers.

Instead of wasting your time on a message board, please convince your daddy or uncle or whoever they are to sell the team to Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos someone that would treat it like a personal toy instead of a business.
                      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• UglyTruth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Mike McDaniel was the top option as OC if Staley was hired. But with Kyle promoting him to OC, it was on to O’Connell and hoping that McVay releases him to us like he did with LaFleur and the Titans.
                        Shane Waldron would’ve been 2b to Connell being 2a. And that’s based on many reports that had McVay eyeing either one of Connell or Waldron for the job.

McVay can’t block Waldron from interviewing here because it would be a promotion for him.
                        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I will say this - if after he has interviewed a few people and Steichen is deemed the best - -thats fine. But I hope he interviews a few candidates.

If there are up and comers like Gannon or Pleasant on defense, wonder who Staley sees for the offense - looking forward to it
                          We signed Frank Smith as run game coordinator right out of the gate, requested an interview (denied) with Kevin O'Connell. Steichen was not at top of the list. Staley has shown a preference for people he has some history with. Understandably. There is no reason to doubt that he has a plan for his staff. Getting the right OC will be critical. I wonder if anyone he's looking at is in the playoffs? He may want his OC to sign off on the balance of O asst's.

Comment

Working...
                          X