• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    I'm going in on Corey Linsley. Last time we had a good center and left tackle, we went 12-4. Center is so important. Linsley consistently is one of the best centers. Take advantage of the rookie QB salary.

Having said that, Linsley and HH would be my only big FA signings. I wouldn't mind going after some mid-salary guards (Pocic, Blythe, Feliciano).

Injuries happen. I wouldn't be fearful of that. Re-signing Feeney and Lamp scares me more.

Get an OT in the draft (2nd round please).
    He is my top choice as well. Unless its a guy like David Andrews from the Patriots that fits the blocking scheme better. You mention Blythe from the RAms - familiarity with STaley would be a big thing and he is probably cheaper. But if you cut Turner - you might be able to get both Linsley and Blythe for the 11.5m current cap hit.

I am using my draft for the OT. I know Trent Williams is there but 33 years old. There comes a time when players more often decline post 30 than get better.

I also had the idea about Armstead - the Saints need to lower their cap - wonder if he is an option for LT.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

There are going to be some surprises when vets get cut as a result of the lower cap, when announced, that will expand the FA pool.
      We would be smart to target a couple of young ascending players, like D. Tomlinson, E. Pocic, T. Karras, early and fill in with a vet (from the expected large pool after cap cuts) or 2..
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
        There are going to be some surprises when vets get cut as a result of the lower cap, when announced, that will expand the FA pool.
        We would be smart to target a couple of young ascending players, like D. Tomlinson, E. Pocic, T. Karras, early and fill in with a vet (from the expected large pool after cap cuts) or 2..
        Agreed. Plus -- players might take early money to not leave some on the table. Even if shorter deals. I can see a lot of veterans after the draft signing minimum deals . But between teams needing to get under the cap or just not as much money - there will be deals to be had

Telesco, Staley, new OC< new OL - do your damn job!! Be smart, be strategic.

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

He is my top choice as well. Unless its a guy like David Andrews from the Patriots that fits the blocking scheme better. You mention Blythe from the RAms - familiarity with STaley would be a big thing and he is probably cheaper. But if you cut Turner - you might be able to get both Linsley and Blythe for the 11.5m current cap hit.

I am using my draft for the OT. I know Trent Williams is there but 33 years old. There comes a time when players more often decline post 30 than get better.

I also had the idea about Armstead - the Saints need to lower their cap - wonder if he is an option for LT.
          a top FA vet center like Linsey makes alot of sense.... he is the leader of OL and a harder position to learn and he is blocking the middle rush which affects the QB more and more quickly than from outside..... OT's need more athleticism to keep up with speedy athletes on the outside so younger athletic guys make sense there....

Comment

• Parcells
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Linsley would be awesome. Perhaps he’s more realistic. But Scherff is arguably the best interior O-lineman in the NFL.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
              Linsley would be awesome. Perhaps he’s more realistic. But Scherff is arguably the best interior O-lineman in the NFL.
              I just don't mention Scherff like I really never mentioned Urban Meyer - it just doesn't seem realistic that Washington lets him go. They have plenty of cap space. Rivera is building the team. I don't think he will be an option

Where with the Packers cap - Linsley might be an option

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I just don't mention Scherff like I really never mentioned Urban Meyer - it just doesn't seem realistic that Washington lets him go. They have plenty of cap space. Rivera is building the team. I don't think he will be an option

Where with the Packers cap - Linsley might be an option
                I completely agree that Scherff is very likely to stay in Washington. I would be very happy with Linsley and think it would go a long way towards addressing the O-line. Furthermore, it’s realistic to think that he’s got another 5 solid years left. So if he develops good chemistry with Herbert, they can be together as long as Linsley holds up.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

I completely agree that Scherff is very likely to stay in Washington. I would be very happy with Linsley and think it would go a long way towards addressing the O-line. Furthermore, it’s realistic to think that he’s got another 5 solid years left. So if he develops good chemistry with Herbert, they can be together as long as Linsley holds up.
                  Hell, I would waive Trai Turner today and give Mike Williams 15 minutes to re-do his deal or its rescinded to get Brandon Scherff in town. He is one of the top free agents available I would think if he ever hit the market.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Feeney and Herbert seem to be best of buds...wouldn't mind having someone back who gives a shit about our QB...Lamp on the other hand sometimes gets caught flat footed and pushed back into the QB...for a reasonable price anyone would be welcome back for depth.

:coffee:
                    I am willing to bring all our OL, but they have to realize they aren't going to get any real money. THey aren't playing that well.

If I was going to sign some FA, I would

1) bring the old OL back at low money backup type of deals. That is what they have earned. They will get a shot at winning a job, but won't be handed one.
                    2). Sign a bunch of lower end vets who may have some starting experience for around $2-4 mill.
                    3). Don't be afraid to draft any/all OL in the draft.
                    4). Let them line up and compete for the roster spots and who starts. Don't be beholden to anyone. 1st round pick, let his rich ass sit on the bench unless he is playing better than the guys around him.

Signing the big name FA and pencil them in as a starter really doesn't work. It does in isolated examples, but mostly you piss away a lot of money and you get a guy who is not the same player who was trying to get the big contract. He is not in the same environment that he was so successful in before. There are a number of reasons why they might not compete, but using the way outlined above, it doesn't tie us down to anyone.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I am willing to bring all our OL, but they have to realize they aren't going to get any real money. THey aren't playing that well.

If I was going to sign some FA, I would

1) bring the old OL back at low money backup type of deals. That is what they have earned. They will get a shot at winning a job, but won't be handed one.
                      2). Sign a bunch of lower end vets who may have some starting experience for around $2-4 mill.
                      3). Don't be afraid to draft any/all OL in the draft.
                      4). Let them line up and compete for the roster spots and who starts. Don't be beholden to anyone. 1st round pick, let his rich ass sit on the bench unless he is playing better than the guys around him.

Signing the big name FA and pencil them in as a starter really doesn't work. It does in isolated examples, but mostly you piss away a lot of money and you get a guy who is not the same player who was trying to get the big contract. He is not in the same environment that he was so successful in before. There are a number of reasons why they might not compete, but using the way outlined above, it doesn't tie us down to anyone.
                      I am so disgusted with our ROI with Trai & Bulaga.

You got the midas touch TT.

Well hell, what to do.

I am ready to leave Tevi--Lamp--Feeney in place. Dirt cheap. Pray for development.

Rebuild the right side.
                      Gotta start somewhere.
                      Retire Bulaga.

It is not difficult to contain the excitement.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Yeah, I'd love to have David Andrews, too. I mocked him to us in the 6th round back when he went UDFA. But... Patriots like him, have plenty of cap space, and probably re-sign him before he hits FA.

That's why I'm targeting Blythe (Rams), Linsley (Packers), and Pocic (Seahawks). Those 3 teams have cap issues and probably can't re-sign those guys. Altogether, those 3 probably will cost $20 million. Cutting Turner saves us $11.5 million. Cutting/trading MW saves another $15.6 million. I think cutting Hayward saves another $9.5 million. Should be able to fill out a roster (pre-draft) with $37 million additional cap space.

Build that IOL through FA. Get guys you know are already successful. And draft depth behind them to keep them motivated.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yeah, I'd love to have David Andrews, too. I mocked him to us in the 6th round back when he went UDFA. But... Patriots like him, have plenty of cap space, and probably re-sign him before he hits FA.

That's why I'm targeting Blythe (Rams), Linsley (Packers), and Pocic (Seahawks). Those 3 teams have cap issues and probably can't re-sign those guys. Altogether, those 3 probably will cost $20 million. Cutting Turner saves us $11.5 million. Cutting/trading MW saves another $15.6 million. I think cutting Hayward saves another $9.5 million. Should be able to fill out a roster (pre-draft) with $37 million additional cap space.

Build that IOL through FA. Get guys you know are already successful. And draft depth behind them to keep them motivated.
                          Even players who have been successful in the past are generally zero's as FA. Look at past FA groups, the guys who sign big money are going to be busts. Sure, there are some noteable exceptions, but for the most part, most big money FA guys are busts. That says to me, you aren't getting the guy you pay for. Past success may lead teams to expect the future production will be X .. Y or Z, but you give guys big money and you aren't going to get the same guy. History says you won't.

Comment

Working...
                          X