Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

He is my top choice as well. Unless its a guy like David Andrews from the Patriots that fits the blocking scheme better. You mention Blythe from the RAms - familiarity with STaley would be a big thing and he is probably cheaper. But if you cut Turner - you might be able to get both Linsley and Blythe for the 11.5m current cap hit.

I am using my draft for the OT. I know Trent Williams is there but 33 years old. There comes a time when players more often decline post 30 than get better.

I also had the idea about Armstead - the Saints need to lower their cap - wonder if he is an option for LT.
    True, to a point.

There is nothing magic about the age of 30. Many players last long after 30, and there are plenty of OL who are still effective when they play into their mid to upper 30's.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

True, to a point.

There is nothing magic about the age of 30. Many players last long after 30, and there are plenty of OL who are still effective when they play into their mid to upper 30's.
      Trent Williams would give us a player who is three years younger than Duane Brown. :smile:

Trent's contract would expire right when Herbert's big payday arrives. :nod:

There are plug n play rookie Centers in this draft.
      You don't know ball

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

True, to a point.

Your point about position does play a factor. An OL has a different skillset needed than CB or RB so the longevity of OL will be different to be sure. With respect to Trent Williams - really good player and if signed for 3 years - would be right there with Herberts rookie deal

My bigger point about age - and its hard to know - but I would like the players signed in free agency to match the current window of Herberts rookie deal - three more years. Maximize this window. And I would think its a higher probably that a younger player will not decline like an older player. Doesn't mean that Trent Williams cannot play into his late 30's like Whitworth or Jason Peters.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

How come the Patriots wont re-sign Thuney themselves? I read they have more cap space than the Bolts do.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• kgbpasha
            #болтап
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

This team is too cheap to sign big name talented free agents.
            Second lowest player payroll in the entire league. (Dolphins)
            It builds teams through the draft, develops players and releases them before they have to actually pay them big money.
            They will extend one or two absolute studs (Bosa, Allen) for the marketability.
            It's why we're always a few players away from "contending".
            Cheap-ass Spanii.
            Wash, rinse, repeat.

The only thing that we can pin our hopes on is if Staley develops these guys instantly.
            That's all folks.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              How come the Patriots wont re-sign Thuney themselves? I read they have more cap space than the Bolts do.

TG
              They probably don't want to pay for two expensive guards on the payroll: preferring to roll with Shaq Mason.

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Doing research on the Saints since they are so far over the cap -- not saying they would get rid of Armstead - but he has one year left on his contract for just over $10m. The Saints would save $7m on the cap as there is some salary acceleration (Today the Saints are like 95m over the cap - Brees and Kwon Alexander get them about 35m so that leaves $60m)

Just thinking outside the box - what about the Chargers 5th or 6th round pick, throw in Pipkins for good measure for Armstead. He is a LT. Just trying to use teams that are over the cap for a solution.

Thuney though would be excellent. Would easily cut Trai Turner to sign Thuney
                Interesting idea to get a real starting LT.... If we could find a reasonable way to trade for him and sign Linsey to start at C, then we would be greatly improved instantly and would have opportunity to draft BPA with virtually every pick.....

Those who are against FA, should study TB, KC, NO, LAR, and Balt to see that FA played a huge part in building those teams and/or keeping them good..... FA is not bad, if you make good decisions! Bad decisions make FA or draft look horrible.....

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Your point about position does play a factor. An OL has a different skillset needed than CB or RB so the longevity of OL will be different to be sure. With respect to Trent Williams - really good player and if signed for 3 years - would be right there with Herberts rookie deal

My bigger point about age - and its hard to know - but I would like the players signed in free agency to match the current window of Herberts rookie deal - three more years. Maximize this window. And I would think its a higher probably that a younger player will not decline like an older player. Doesn't mean that Trent Williams cannot play into his late 30's like Whitworth or Jason Peters.
                  Everytime you say that it seems you are saying after that our SB chances are down the drain afterwards.

Herbert won't even be in his prime til his next contract,... Not that we can't win a SB before that happens but did you ever stop to think if we sign players with big deals, that may make it hard for us to sign Herbert?

We will have our own FA's every year to sign.

You need to balance it out so you don't have a Saints or Rams situation.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by kgbpasha View Post
                    This team is too cheap to sign big name talented free agents.
                    Second lowest player payroll in the entire league. (Dolphins)
                    It builds teams through the draft, develops players and releases them before they have to actually pay them big money.
                    They will extend one or two absolute studs (Bosa, Allen) for the marketability.
                    It's why we're always a few players away from "contending".
                    Cheap-ass Spanii.
                    Wash, rinse, repeat.

The only thing that we can pin our hopes on is if Staley develops these guys instantly.
                    That's all folks.
                    The "Spanos is cheap" mantra only goes so far. The Chargers' cash outlay was the third highest in the NFL in 2020. All the other numbers are weird and misleading and full of gamesmanship. Actual cash spent is the money that went out the door in the year and the best indicator of how 'cheap' you are. To prove that the other numbers are misleading, consider the Steelers. They are way over the cap and have one of the lowest cash outlays. See below.

TG

The Texans led the NFL in cash spending in 2020, according to documents shared by the NFL Players Association during a virtual registered agents' seminar.

The timing of the Texans' large contracts and bonus structures for quarterback Deshaun Watson (four years, $156 million), offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil (three years, $66 million) and linebacker Zach Cunningham (four years, $58 million) created major expenditures for the AFC South franchise.

The Texans are facing a tight salary cap situation in 2021 even after terminating defensive end J.J. Watt's $100 million contract, which netted them $17.5 million in cap savings. The Texans have roughly $4 million available now under a salary cap with a floor of $180 million, but are expected to cut players and/or restructure contracts in advance of a free agent signing period that starts March 17.

The next two highest spending NFL teams last season were the Philadelphia Eagles ($243 million) and the Los Angeles Chargers ($230 million).

The lowest spending teams in 2020 were the Pittsburgh Steelers ($138 million), New England Patriots ($149 million) and Jacksonville Jaguars ($158 million).
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Everytime you say that it seems you are saying after that our SB chances are down the drain afterwards.

Herbert won't even be in his prime til his next contract,... Not that we can't win a SB before that happens but did you ever stop to think if we sign players with big deals, that may make it hard for us to sign Herbert?

We will have our own FA's every year to sign.

You need to balance it out so you don't have a Saints or Rams situation.
                      Its not about Justin Herbert being in his prime - its about the fact that he is never going to be cheaper from a cap perspective than these next three years. So its maximizing the talent around him these three years because in his fifth year - his cap number will adjust to very high figures

I understand how to avoid the Rams and Saints situation perfectly well - hence, why the Chargers should be thinking about it now

Warren Sharp had a good piece on this two weeks ago about teams that had QBs on the rookie deal and those that didn't. Not saying its the end all be all but it is something the Chargers should try to take advantage of like Seattle did with Wilson and KC has done so far with Mahomes.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I lean toward Group A.

LT: Christian Darrisaw

LG: Austin Blythe

C: Landon Dickerson

RG: Larry Warford

RT: Bryan Bulaga

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I lean toward Group A.

LT: Christian Darrisaw

LG: Austin Blythe

C: Landon Dickerson

RG: Larry Warford

RT: Bryan Bulaga
                          Agree with group A. I am not sure if its feasible from a salary cap perspective with Gabe Jackson and LInsley but this would be my choice:

Slater or AVT
                          Wyatt Davis
                          Linsley
                          Gabe Jackson
                          Bulaga

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘