• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I don't think Zach Ertz is worth both the Titans 6th and 8m of salary... but if Hunter Henry is really at a franchise of 12.7m+ - than I don't think that makes sense either I think the Chargers will need to let Hunter Henry "test the market" - I forgot about that 120% rule for the second time. Thats putting Henry at close to Kelce Kittle range and its only for one year. That makes it easier to not franchise him

Now if you don't bring HH back - I think the Titans TE - Jonnu Smith or maybe the Colts TE Mo Alie Cox or Everett from the RAms. But Ertz for one year - 8m not the worst deal either

I don't think the Eagles will be able to bring back Barnett - not sure he fits the Chargers new scheme though

Lane Johnson would be like 30m of dead money not 8m
    Hargraves - probably not cut either

Wow - Howie Roseman went all in - these are some terrible deals

Marquis Goodwin will be cut
    The way i understand it is that the Eagles eat 7M+ of his salary this year. You made me go look to see if he was traded to the Titans. lol

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
      keeping Hayward, Linval, HH, Virgil, Vigil, Denzel, Forrest, Rayshawn, Mike D.
      good bye to Trai, Chris Harris, Kyzir, SupaMel, Dan, Sam 'n Tyrod

don't like Stick as my #2 QB
      do like idea of trading MW91/47 for a draft pick, 'specially if I could turn that into a Tyler Shelvin/Jay Tufele/Spencer Brown (lineman)
      Tranquill is not someone to consider as your 16 game starter and into the playoffs
      would sign JuJu to make sure JH picks up where he left off
      my FA IOL is made up of John Miller 'n Alex Mack
      Brian Poole makes sense @SCB and signing Troy Hill for the boundary
      reading names like Karras for $40m or Ifedi makes me ill, in that they were marginal guys in the draft.... Trey Smith pls
      Karras was a day 3 pick but has performed as an above average OC over the past 3 seasons and he is only going to be 28 this season.
      Ifedi was a first rounder who struggled at OT in Seattle. He was an above average ORG last season and played well at ORT as an injury replacement. He will be only 27.
      Neither dude missing much time over their careers.
      Last edited by like54ninjas; 02-22-2021, 07:32 AM.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

The way i understand it is that the Eagles eat 7M+ of his salary this year. You made me go look to see if he was traded to the Titans. lol
        The Eagles can just release him and save 8.25m of cash. They have 4m of dead money no matter what. The Eagles do not have the cap space for Ertz - they probably are going to have to release him.

Again, if the Chargers are SOOOOO far apart with Hunter Henry and they do not want to franchise him - Ertz might be a good fallback - but would want the salary to be closer to $5m per year and not 8.25m

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The Eagles can just release him and save 8.25m of cash. They have 4m of dead money no matter what. The Eagles do not have the cap space for Ertz - they probably are going to have to release him.

Again, if the Chargers are SOOOOO far apart with Hunter Henry and they do not want to franchise him - Ertz might be a good fallback - but would want the salary to be closer to $5m per year and not 8.25m
          They certainly dont look to have much leverage.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
            keeping Hayward, Linval, HH, Virgil, Vigil, Denzel, Forrest, Rayshawn, Mike D.
            good bye to Trai, Chris Harris, Kyzir, SupaMel, Dan, Sam 'n Tyrod

don't like Stick as my #2 QB
            do like idea of trading MW91/47 for a draft pick, 'specially if I could turn that into a Tyler Shelvin/Jay Tufele/Spencer Brown (lineman)
            Tranquill is not someone to consider as your 16 game starter and into the playoffs
            would sign JuJu to make sure JH picks up where he left off
            my FA IOL is made up of John Miller 'n Alex Mack
            Brian Poole makes sense @SCB and signing Troy Hill for the boundary
            reading names like Karras for $40m or Ifedi makes me ill, in that they were marginal guys in the draft.... Trey Smith pls
            Signing JuJu for 17-18 mil a season isnt very appetizing either. Karras much better value in that department.

Where they were drafted dont matter if they establish themselves in the NFL. If that was the case we wouldnt have resigned Ekeler.

I like Perryman but he dont fit the type of LB that Staley says he likes, which is LBs that can run so i doubt we keep him.
            11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
            35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
            37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
            66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
            69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
            100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
            110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
            140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
            181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
            225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Signing JuJu for 17-18 mil a season isnt very appetizing either. Karras much better value in that department.

Where they were drafted dont matter if they establish themselves in the NFL. If that was the case we wouldnt have resigned Ekeler.

I like Perryman dont he dont fit the type of LB that Staley says he likes, which is LBs that can run so i doubt we keep him.
              Excellent takes.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                To better understand the Staley coverage concepts,
                go to Weekly Spiral or Justin Tam.
                @jtam35
                @weeklyspiral

JJ III is vital.
                Rayshawn's role would be different.

Knowledge is power.
                It is obvious that we will sign JJ III.
                Somehow, this post, a mostly positive suggestion about additional resources, led to a bout of Sunday morning snarkiness from TPB.

I do hope that many will take the time to study @jtam35's great threads on the subject of Staley defense, with props to @weeklyspiral.

It would be well worth your time.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Somehow, this post, a mostly positive suggestion about additional resources, led to a bout of Sunday morning snarkiness from TPB.

I do hope that many will take the time to study @jtam35's great threads on the subject of Staley defense, with props to @weeklyspiral.

It would be well worth your time.
                  Still don't mean we target JJ3. Staley was a part of Denver D playing the same type of defense so maybe he would love Jeffrey Simmons.

Won't know til anything happens. That's all I'm saying. Don't care either way, I just don't think it's a forgone conclusion.
                  11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                  35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                  37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                  66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                  69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                  100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                  110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                  140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                  181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                  225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Still don't mean we target JJ3. Staley was a part of Denver D playing the same type of defense so maybe he would love Jeffrey Simmons.

Won't know til anything happens. That's all I'm saying. Don't care either way, I just don't think it's a forgone conclusion.
                    A lot depends on two things:

1. Whether or not Staley thinks JJ3 can play FS at the same level as he played SS last year.

2. The price difference between JJ3 and Jenkins on the open market.

If the difference is only a couple mil, AND Staley thinks JJ3 can perform at FS, then why not upgrade and bring in his guy.

Added bonus: if DJ goes down again, JJ3 will slide to SS and Adderley will take over at FS. I really don’t wanna see Jenkins play SS anymore. He doesn’t have the sure tackling skills.
                    Last edited by Bolt Dude; 02-21-2021, 09:55 PM.
                    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Note: JJ III played FS in 2020.
                      LAR even tried to make it look like he was playing Single High.
                      Taylor Rapp and especially Jordan Fuller, even Terrell Burgess, played SS.
                      Most significantly, JJ III will play the identical role with LAC as with LAR.
                      ​​​​​​YOUR Rayshawn will never get the Green Dot.
                      It's not gonna happen.
                      Don't be sad.
                      Derwin gets no Green Dot either.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                        A lot depends on two things:

1. Whether or not Staley thinks JJ3 can play FS at the same level as he played SS last year.

2. The price difference between JJ3 and Jenkins on the open market.

If the difference is only a couple mil, AND Staley thinks JJ3 can perform at FS, then why not upgrade and bring in his guy.

Added bonus: if DJ goes down again, JJ3 will slide to SS and Adderley will take over at FS. I really don’t wanna see Jenkins play SS anymore. He doesn’t have the sure tackling skills.
                        With the Cover-4 or 6 that Staley runs, you will need TWO FS's...and that's better for Adderley, because he won't have to cover as much turf as when he played single high...

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Playing a rotating 2 deep shell, the S are basically interchangeable. They will be used as a SS up in the box AND as a FS in the middle of the field. It's not so much that we need 2 FS, as it is we need 2 S who have the skill sets of both a SS and FS. And any S we have needs to be quick to read and react, since the assignments on any given play will depend on what the offense is doing.

On top of the skill set to be a starting S, we are going to need plenty of backup DB, including several S. Staley uses a lot of his backup S in place of LB. He spent 85% of his time in nickel and dime packages, so most of the time at least 1 DB (sometimes 2 or even 3) will need to be up in the box, with LB type of assignments, although they will line up deeper and/or further outside, so while they won't necessarily need to take on blockers, they still need to be guys who are good at stepping up and taking on the runner in the whole, as opposed to DB who sit back and wait for the runner to come to them. .

Comment

Working...
                          X