• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Pretty sure the NFL slots first round picks now so its not like Slater can get paid what the 11th or 12th pick makes. Its about the slot and guarantees. Pretty easy deal - my guess it will be done and he will be signed by Day 1
    My guess, it's the offset language.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

My guess, it's the offset language.
      Its the road trip accommodations. He heard about Nando’s deal.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
        They're saying Geno Atkins would be a good fit for us. Anyone else agree?

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

They're saying Geno Atkins would be a good fit for us. Anyone else agree?
          I liked Geno quite a bit in years past. This will be his 12th NFL season. He played 1 game last year and us coming off shoulder surgery.
          Pass.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
            French Speaking Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Québec city
            • Send PM

Justin Houston ?

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I liked Geno quite a bit in years past. This will be his 12th NFL season. He played 1 game last year and us coming off shoulder surgery.
              Pass.
              Depends on if he passes a physical. An incentive laden contract I have no problem with.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Depends on if he passes a physical. An incentive laden contract I have no problem with.
                It's an unnecessary risk. We are invested in developing Tillery & Jones and have vet depth Covington.
                But, if he can pass a team physical, impress the coaches in a workout and will play for vet min + incentive $, OK.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

I guess we are attempting to discuss the vaccine situation in our health forum. We have a thread up. Please dont take a political angle. If that doesnt work...we will end that. lol

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Looks the the team is very high on our starting 3.
                    Have read multiple reports about positive reviews of Covington, Broughton, Fehoko, and Gaziano.
                    I also like TJ Smith and Goldwire.
                    It is a young, athletic, group with diverse skillsets and impressive size/length.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                      I guess we are attempting to discuss the vaccine situation in our health forum. We have a thread up. Please dont take a political angle. If that doesnt work...we will end that. lol
                      Nbc Godspeed GIF by Good Girls

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Better, worse or the same? How the Los Angeles Chargers' offense has changed this offseason

Equipped with a franchise quarterback, the Chargers went out of their way to pick up linemen such as All-Pro center Corey Linsley.

COSTA MESA, CALIF. -- The Los Angeles Chargers won their last four games of the 2020 season but lost too many nail-biters before then to do any real damage, as they finished 7-9

They also broke in a new quarterback in Justin Herbert after Tyrod Taylor accidentally had his lung punctured before their Week 2 game with the Kansas City Chiefs. Nobody knew what to expect. Except maybe Herbert, who worked as long and hard as he could, albeit virtually. His teammates didn't know what to expect except to hope and roll with it.

Herbert wasn't perfect, making mistakes on reads and footwork, and he tended to slide too much -- something he's reminded of daily -- but he says he will be much better this season. His teammates love him, with a dozen flying into Eugene, Oregon, to play in his charity golf tournament, and clearly the camaraderie is there.

Throw in some new, highly regarded offensive linemen and a new, young, vivacious coaching staff and what more do you need? That's the mindset as training camp gets underway July 28. So are the Chargers better, worse or the same heading into 2021?

Here's a look at the offense.

Quarterbacks

Additions: Chase Daniel (Detroit Lions)

Losses: Tyrod Taylor (Houston Texans)

Returners: Justin Herbert, Easton Stick

Better, worse or the same: Better

Herbert proved a lot his rookie year, winning Offensive Rookie of the Year, setting an NFL rookie record with 31 touchdown passes (while rushing for five more) and falling just 38 yards short of passing Andrew Luck's rookie record of 4,374 passing yards. He has been working extremely hard learning another new offensive system, which he says is similar except for the terminology.

Daniel played in a Joe Lombardi-led system in New Orleans from 2009 to 2012 and has been a valuable asset for Herbert. Stick also provides leadership, having been in the system, and could be relegated to the practice squad.

What remains to be seen is whether Herbert learned enough in the offseason to get the Chargers over the hump in close games and how much he has advanced.

Running backs

Additions: Larry Rountree III (sixth-round draft choice)

Losses: Kalen Ballage (Pittsburgh Steelers)

Returners: Austin Ekeler, Joshua Kelley, Justin Jackson, Darius Bradwell, Gabe Nabers (FB)

Better, worse or the same: Better (with Ekeler fully healthy)

Ekeler is healthy after missing six games last season and is a threat on the ground and in the passing game. Kelley and Jackson also return, but it is unlikely the Chargers will keep four tailbacks. With Rountree projected as a short-yardage, punch-it-in guy, it's doubtful Kelley and Jackson will both return. My money's on Kelley and Rountree, but it should be a great battle for No. 2.

Wide receivers

​​​​​Additions: Joshua Palmer (third-round draft choice), Austin Proehl (San Francisco 49ers)

Returners: Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, John Hurst, Jalen Guyton, Tyron Johnson, Joe Reed, Jason Moore, Michael Bandy, KJ Hill Jr.

Losses: None.

Better, worse or the same: Better, with Allen the star

Allen got his money last summer and proved himself as one of, if not the, best receivers in the league. He's also a pretty good golfer (except for putting) and likely fits nicely with Palmer, who has solid hands and speed. And then you add in Williams who, at 6-foot-5, is a nice target for anyone. Lombardi likes to use various players in different positions. Guyton and Johnson provided deep threats last year and should play that role again.

Tight ends

Additions: Jared Cook (New Orleans Saints), Tre' McKitty (third-round draft pick), Hunter Kampmoyer

Losses: Hunter Henry (New England Patriots)

Returners: Stephen Anderson, Donald Parham Jr., Matt Sokol, Matt Seybert

Better, worse or the same: Worse

Henry was a huge loss. There was some belief the Chargers should have franchised him again -- he's that good when healthy. But Bill Belichick recognized that early, too, and scooped him up. It will create a big hole for the Chargers. However, they got Cook, a productive veteran who also knows Lombardi's offense from his time with the Saints, and they have Parham and the rookie McKitty, whose blocking and size are major pluses.

Offensive line

Additions: Corey Linsley (Green Bay Packers), Matt Feiler (Pittsburgh Steelers), Oday Aboushi (Lions), Rashawn Slater (first-round draft pick), Brenden Jaimes (fifth-round draft pick), Darius Harper

Losses: Dan Feeney (New York Jets), Forrest Lamp (Buffalo Bills), Sam Tevi (Indianapolis Colts), Cole Toner (Texans)

Returners: Bryan Bulaga, Nate Gilliam, Tyree St. Louis, Kyle Spalding, Trey Pipkins III, Storm Norton, Darius Harper

Better, worse or the same: Better

The Chargers couldn't have done much better this offseason in improving their line, especially with how much it struggled last season. Linsley was expensive but was an All-Pro last season, and Slater was considered the best left tackle/guard available by many scouts. Bulaga will man right tackle, with Slater playing left tackle. Adding in Feiler and Aboushi at guard will make this line infinitely better.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Chargers Daily Links: Which UDFA has the best chance of making the final roster?

Your source for all Chargers and NFL news from around the web.
                          By Michael Peterson@ZoneTracks Jul 22, 2021, 6:50am PDT 1 Comment

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports Good morning, everyone.
                          This morning we’re checking in with everyone once again on which undrafted free agent you all think as the best chance of making the final 53-man roster.
                          When we first tossed around our predictions earlier this offseason, my money was on either linebacker Amen Ogbongbemiga or kicker Alex Kessman. Ogbongbemiga was a Second-Team All-Big 12 selection as a senior and Kessman had one of the better deep kick accuracy marks of any kicker over the past few seasons in CFB.
                          But another name caught my attention recently that went unnoticed when these players were initially signed.
                          Former UNC-Charlotte safety Ben DeLuca left school as the program’s all-time leading tackler and forced seven fumbles over his final three seasons. His skillset easily fits that of a Cover 2 safety and his time in college shows a high-effort player that may get his chance at being a special teams contributor early in his career.
                          A small-program player with notable production and a translatable skillset? Sounds like a future Charger to me.
                          But what do you all think? Anyone else with me on this DeLuca train? I still think Ogbongbemiga and Kessman have some of the highest chances to stick, but they’re definitely not the only ones with a case to be made.
                          Let me know what you all think in the comments below and if there’s someone else worthy of recognition, make their case!
                          We are somewhat understaffed at safety.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞