Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I agree. Anyone who watched him play last year knows what's up.
    My choice would be Dennis Kelly.
    And Kelly caught a touchdown in 2019. Both Wagner and Kelly are 31 with lots of experience. Either would seem to be a great 2 year guy, maybe 3 that would just make our O line better.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

I agree. Anyone who watched him play last year knows what's up.
      My choice would be Dennis Kelly.
      Dennis Kelly really is a RT-only. I imagine that Baluga/Pipkins is the plan. Not sure I would spend any money there. If we dabble in FA post-draft, it will be low-cost depth at a particular position. I am not so sure Villanueva/Fisher etc will be $3 million or less. Now if somehow we miss "our guy" at LT/CB/S... maybe we ante up a little more.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

And Fisher has the achilles and its a long shot he would be ready by training camp. Wagner might be the best option for that "bridge" OT .
        I see both of these guys the same way......beaten and broken. Villanueva is a high character/class guy which does play into TT's wheelhouse. I think you get more bang with Wagner or Kelly IMHO.

Let's go Tom.........Plus a signing before the draft would confuse the shit out of the other GM's making a trade down offer a bit sweeter hopefully.......(wishful thinking......)

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Dennis Kelly really is a RT-only. I imagine that Baluga/Pipkins is the plan. Not sure I would spend any money there. If we dabble in FA post-draft, it will be low-cost depth at a particular position. I am not so sure Villanueva/Fisher etc will be $3 million or less. Now if somehow we miss "our guy" at LT/CB/S... maybe we ante up a little more.
          I think Kelly filled in for Lewan at LT when Lewan went down with his ACL, so I wouldn't count him out. It would be a one year stop gap. Definitely not my preference. Maybe if we draft Spencer Brown or D'Ante Smith, they could take over before the end of the season.

"If the Titans want the best player possible at left tackle, Dennis Kelly is the man for the job. Kelly has experience playing on the left side with the Titans and could easily be moved over there for the rest of the season." [article written after Lewan went down]
          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

I think Kelly filled in for Lewan at LT when Lewan went down with his ACL, so I wouldn't count him out. It would be a one year stop gap. Definitely not my preference. Maybe if we draft Spencer Brown or D'Ante Smith, they could take over before the end of the season.

"If the Titans want the best player possible at left tackle, Dennis Kelly is the man for the job. Kelly has experience playing on the left side with the Titans and could easily be moved over there for the rest of the season." [article written after Lewan went down]
            https://titanswire.usatoday.com/list...s-replacement/
            I think the Titans saw Kelly as a swing tackle. I think that's why they drafted Isaiah Wilson in the 1st round last year. Could he play in pinch (like last year)...? I think he's proven that. But is he a long term solution @LT...? Titans didn't seem to think so.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

There is not much point in signing one of the OT at this point. Wait and see if we fill the spot via the draft. if we draft a guy at 13, they are going to be a starter if they are healthy. No sense adding a FA if we are still open to adding a OT via the draft.

If the OT that we like are gone, then we can go after a FA.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

They are going to need another RT about mid-way through the first half to play the remaining 16.5 games. And I wouldn’t bet shit on Pipkins, he played a lot of RT last year and he was fucking horrible. He is not Plan B - he’s Plan C or D and thats only if the UDFAs they drag through camp don’t beat him out first.

One reason LT is so critical early in the draft, imo, is because they will also likely need a credible RT. I think they solidified the interior with FA, can fill in backups there. LT is a gaping void and RT will be, again jmo, after one Bulaga booboo.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/list...s-replacement/
                  Kelly did play LT when Lewan was hurt and also his PEDs suspension. So he is not the long term answer at Left Tackle. But really if the Chargers need a guy to help bridge the gap for the rookie - here are the choices

Villanueva - hasn't looked good the last two years
                  Wagner - more RT than LT
                  Kelly - more RT than LT but has played LT
                  Fisher - the achilles issue

or do you sign a guy like Warford and hope can play LT

AT this point of free agency - there is not perfect fit. Those players would be signed. What you are looking for is a player who can play LT better than Sam Tevi, Trent Scott, etc.

And at this point - if the Chargers could get say Warford and Kelly for depth post draft - I wouldn't hate it
                  Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 04-18-2021, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Kelly did play LT when Lewan was hurt and also his PEDs suspension. So he is not the long term answer at Left Tackle. But really if the Chargers need a guy to help bridge the gap for the rookie - here are the choices

Wagner - more RT than LT

AT this point of free agency - there is not perfect fit. Those players would be signed. What you are looking for is a player who can play LT better than Sam Tevi, Trent Scott, etc.

And at this point - if the Chargers could get say Warford and Kelly for depth post draft - I wouldn't hate it
                    This is gotta be where we're at......at the moment. If we don't hit a home run in the draft- hell, even a single would do!- we'll jump on ANYONE who was better than last years group.
                    Is there ANYONE currently on our roster who we'd be comfortable with protecting The Natural's blindside?
                    Norton? Pipkins? Yeeesh....
                    Last edited by WindsorUK; 04-19-2021, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

This is gotta be where we're at......at the moment. If we don't hit a home run in the draft- hell, even a single would do!- we'll jump on ANYONE who was better than last years group.
                      Is there ANYONE currently on our roster who we'd be comfortable with protecting The Natural's blindside?
                      Norton? Pipkins? Yeeesh....
                      My guess, the Chargers have a guy on speed dial - and it just might be Villanueva but who knwos - and next week post draft, will assess where they need depth and go from there. It might be a safety like Hooker; it might be a CB like Nelson or it could be an OT type. Maybe two players.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                        • Send PM

My guess, the Chargers have a guy on speed dial - and it just might be Villanueva but who knwos - and next week post draft, will assess where they need depth and go from there. It might be a safety like Hooker; it might be a CB like Nelson or it could be an OT type. Maybe two players.
                        I like Dennis Kelly...assume he is still available? Solid player, versatile experience, great stop gap who you then turn into RT after Bulaga leaves, or a high quality swing tackle.

You miss on a plug n play guy for LT, I think this guy is a good option.
                        The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                          • Send PM

Wagner - more RT than LT

LOL...I always go to the end of thread and read backwards, or I would have saw your blurb on Kelly...anyway, as I posted, I like him for a stop gap, who then converts to RT or high quality depth.
                          The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

Working...
                          X