• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoltUp InLA
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2020
    • Send PM

Article from The Athletic

Which newly drafted NFL rookies will make the biggest impact? Picks for all 32 teams

AFC West

Denver Broncos: Javonte Williams, North Carolina, RB

First-rounder Patrick Surtain will have the best career. The former Alabama cornerback has All-Pro potential, but it’s unclear whether he’ll have a major role this season with free-agent additions Kyle Fuller and Ronald Darby on the outside.

Williams, the Broncos’ second-round pick, should share carries with Melvin Gordon immediately, and it wouldn’t be a total shock if he became the featured back by some point next season. Williams’ ability to catch out of the backfield and thrive as a blocker in pass protection will make him hard to keep off the field. — Nick Kosmider Broncos draft takeaways

Kansas City Chiefs: Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma, C

The theme of the Chiefs’ offseason has been about protecting superstar quarterback Patrick Mahomes. The Chiefs used the draft to finish overhauling their offensive line, and Humphrey has a strong chance to be the team’s starting center. In 37 starts at Oklahoma, Humphrey didn’t allow a sack and gave up just two quarterback hits, according to Pro Football Focus.

In 2015, the Chiefs used the 49th pick to select former center Mitch Morse, who started 15 games that season. The Chiefs believe Humphrey, whom they selected with the 63rd pick Friday, has the talent to have a similar rookie season. — Nate Taylor Chiefs draft takeaways

Las Vegas Raiders: Trevon Moehrig, TCU, FS

Right tackle Alex Leatherwood was the Raiders’ top pick, but he’s part of a five-man unit and will be more reliant on others in order to make a major impact. Moehrig will be on an island as a free safety, so it could get ugly if he were to struggle. On the flip side, he could also help lift what’s been a woeful secondary in recent years. Considering the defense allowed the most points in franchise history in 2020, that would likely make more of an impact than Leatherwood can make on an offense that was already very good. — Tashan Reed Raiders draft takeaways

Los Angeles Chargers: Rashawn Slater, Northwestern, OT

The Chargers needed a starting left tackle, and they found one in Slater, a polished technician and elite athlete. He should have no problem beating out Trey Pipkins for the starting spot protecting Justin Herbert’s blindside. Slater will also be a valuable asset in the running game with his natural feel for angles, both in one-on-one situations and combinations. The Chargers are excited about what Slater can bring on screen concepts, with his smooth movement and ability to get outside and upfield.

Slater completes what could be an above-average to very-good starting group, playing with Matt Feiler at left guard, Corey Linsley at center, Oday Aboushi at right guard and Bryan Bulaga at right tackle. GM Tom Telesco has admirably overhauled his offensive line in one offseason. — Daniel Popper Chargers draft takeaways

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Badgley started off well and got progressively worse as the stench of Stewart engulfed him. Lynn's stubborn loyalty to him probably cost him his job and certainly ruined Badgley. Can a real NFL coach salvage him?
      I actually think it had more to do with the groin injury. Then he tried to overcompensate for it and it knocked his kicking motion out of rhythm and then f***** with his head.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
        Now that we've re-built the OL... we no longer need a FG kicker. Just a kickoff guy. TD's only.
        This. TDs and 2 pt conversions, I can’t even hypothesize how a place kicker will be used by LAC again. They are a LOS team now.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• CivilBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I actually think it had more to do with the groin injury. Then he tried to overcompensate for it and it knocked his kicking motion out of rhythm and then f***** with his head.
          Also Stewart’s squad below average blocking didn’t help.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

I don’t care why a kicker gets his head out of whack. Do or not do, Obi-san. Great kickers do not fuck themselves in the head, its a job requirement.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

This. TDs and 2 pt conversions, I can’t even hypothesize how a place kicker will be used by LAC again. They are a LOS team now.
              I don't care the score -- the first chargers touchdown of the season, I want Staley to go for 2
              Also want him to be more aggressive going on 4th down

Maybe its just me - but it seems that if a coach puts trust in his players to make those players when they don't need them - they will be more successful when they do need them.
              For sure - if Herbert has a drive in preseason - if he plays - that ends in a touchdown - better go for 2

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t care why a kicker gets his head out of whack. Do or not do, Obi-san. Great kickers do not fuck themselves in the head, its a job requirement.
                I was responding to the poster saying Stewart got in his head. My point being he was never the same kicker physically or mentally after the groin injury. I am not a Badgley fan... I would like to see a serious kicking competition

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

I was responding to the poster saying Stewart got in his head. My point being he was never the same kicker physically or mentally after the groin injury. I am not a Badgley fan... I would like to see a serious kicking competition
                  I agree with you, he proved his is mentally unfit to be an NFL kicker. His head got fucked, and as i noted it matter not by what or who. A head is only fucked of the head-owner allows it to be fucked. If he allowed it once, he’ll do it again.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Please study this, people.
                    jtam3 has been surmising
                    that we will feature, say,
                    Uchenna/Fackrell or Rumph II @ Wide 9.
                    Bosa/Tillery @ 4i.
                    Linval or JJones or Fehoko or Merrill @ 1 or O TECH.

See also, MIKE, NLB and Two High. Could be K9, Derwin, Tranq, Nasir in these roles.
                    Last edited by wu-dai clan; 05-03-2021, 03:33 PM.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

There are other Staley looks that are real whoppers.

There is one, designed to stop the run, where the EDGE guys are the ONLY TWO with their hands in the dirt, at 7TECH and Wide9 ! Three LBs line up over the IOL, appearing ready to blitz.

Throw away your traditional defensive depth chart ideas, about all three levels, DL (including EDGE), LB and DB !!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

I have posted this before,
                        and will do it again.
                        during the off season.

Staley concepts are really something to ponder.
                        Experts say he is changing the game of football
                        in a profound manner.

There are novel ways of dealing with traditional problems,
                        things as simple as how to stop the run.

Look at all the Staley-like DCs who are being hired.
                        And see Minnesota...Mike Zimmer...it doesn't get
                        any more "Old School."
                        Even he is evolving.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Please study this, people.
                          jtam3 has been surmising
                          that we will feature, say,
                          Uchenna/Fackrell or Rumph II @ Wide 9.
                          Bosa/Tillery @ 4i.
                          Linval or JJones or Fehoko or Merrill @ 1 or O TECH.

See also, MIKE, NLB and Two High. Could be K9, Derwin, Tranq, Nasir in these roles.
                          Excellant stuff, Wood...

Throw away the traditional depth charts, indeed....
                          The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

Working...
                          X