• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoltingUP
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
    Who’s your favorite TE in FA if HH isn’t re-signed? Jonnu Smith is looking mighty tempting.

I think we already have the pass-catching TE. We need a good blocking TE. I believe its better to have 3 or 4 fast receivers stretching the field. When you do that, Defenses have to play the dime and that creates LB coverage on TE that are wide open dragging over the middle. You don't need the top talent for this if your QB can drill the ball in and give those LB very little reaction times. I think there are lots of options for TE. As for HH, I like him but the reality is that he played half the snaps, and never went over 700 yards. That is not very difficult to replace.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Don't have a fav FA at TE. It's pretty weak looking. Smith would be OK as an as sending player who would be cheaper than HH and then maybe draft a TE somewhere.

Isn't Ertz going to get cut? Sign him. To a Two years deal and draft one would work too.
      Not interested in Rudolph.

Haven't really thought about TE as I figured we would keep HH.
      Ha, yeah I’ve just started thinking about TE as the reality of HH not returning has begun to sink in. I give it 50/50 odds.

Jonnu is my far and away favorite to replace him for a lot of reasons. Great blocker, better athlete, faster, healthier, great in the red zone, younger. Not as crafty as HH, but that will come with experience. Honestly, Jonnu could be an eventual upgrade and a few mil per year cheaper.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Who’s your favorite TE in FA if HH isn’t re-signed? Jonnu Smith is looking mighty tempting.
        I think I’d go with a cheaper vet like a Jared Cook and draft a TE. I think there will be a few valuable UDFA at TE.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltingUP View Post

Thanks for the welcome!

This is a unique FA year. I definitely see the Chargers signing a veteran C. We are going to need potentially 2 guards and a LT in the draft. If you are going to change that much, there needs to be a veteran at C playing QB for the OL.

I think this unique year will give us the opportunity to get CB, EDGE, IOL, TE, DT and/or a few special teams players. They wont get them all, but this is a unique year to go after these positions in FA.

OL is a lot about chemistry. Bringing in numerous OL from different teams with different coaching is tough. I think chemistry is better built with draft picks with a couple veterans that play the style you are going to teach. I see most of the OL coming from the Draft. We don't need to create a great Offensive Line, we need to first create an average OL. After that, we can substitute good OL for average OL and the average players become quality back-ups.

FA CBs can play immediately. FA EDGE pass rushers can play immediately. Drafted DT take a year or two. Drafted CB are hit and miss in year one and TE need to learn to block. For this reason, I think we get the positions that contribute year 1 in FA, draft the rest.

Another question....Who does everyone want as the veteran QB to be in the room with Herbert?
          Definitely need to sign a vet center. Linsley would be great, but there’s a few other quality options if that doesn’t work. Reiter, Blythe, Karras to name a few.

I also think it would be a shame not to grab at least one FA guard. The FA market is flooded with them, so you know, supply and demand...could be some deals to be had.

Of course there’s Joe Thuney, but there’s also excellent value in guys like: Matt Feiler, John Feliciano, Larry Warford, Nick Easton, Jermaine Eluemunor, Kevin Zeitler, Andrew Norwell, Kyle Long, Germain Ifedi....

The list goes on. It’d be foolish not to grab one or two.

Just get Lamp and Feeney far away from my franchise QB.

Comment

• Boltgang74
            We Are The Storm!
            • Aug 2018
            • Send PM

Agree 1000%Herbert deserves better than what TT has drudged up so far.

Comment

• therber219
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2017
              • Iowa
              • Send PM

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it would be good to throw some money at both Thuney and Andrew's? Not only would that fill 2 spots with better players, but also already work together, so it wold help the line gel quicker....

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by therber219 View Post
                Is it just me, or does anyone else think it would be good to throw some money at both Thuney and Andrew's? Not only would that fill 2 spots with better players, but also already work together, so it wold help the line gel quicker....
                Not a bad idea as long as they’re willing to buy into our OL scheme. Can’t imagine it’d be too much different than what the pats do.
                Last edited by Bolt Dude; 03-13-2021, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• JupiterBolt
                  ~ Charger Fan ~
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Jupiter, FL
                  • Send PM

I’ve been looking at the TE out of Michigan, as a block first and catch TE. Definitely a third day draft pick.

(oops... sort of on topic, but wrong thread)

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Thanks for the welcome!

This is a unique FA year. I definitely see the Chargers signing a veteran C. We are going to need potentially 2 guards and a LT in the draft. If you are going to change that much, there needs to be a veteran at C playing QB for the OL.

I think this unique year will give us the opportunity to get CB, EDGE, IOL, TE, DT and/or a few special teams players. They wont get them all, but this is a unique year to go after these positions in FA.

OL is a lot about chemistry. Bringing in numerous OL from different teams with different coaching is tough. I think chemistry is better built with draft picks with a couple veterans that play the style you are going to teach. I see most of the OL coming from the Draft. We don't need to create a great Offensive Line, we need to first create an average OL. After that, we can substitute good OL for average OL and the average players become quality back-ups.

FA CBs can play immediately. FA EDGE pass rushers can play immediately. Drafted DT take a year or two. Drafted CB are hit and miss in year one and TE need to learn to block. For this reason, I think we get the positions that contribute year 1 in FA, draft the rest.

Another question....Who does everyone want as the veteran QB to be in the room with Herbert?
                    I think it’s Easton Stick’s job to lose as QB2. I don’t know if we need a veteran QB at this point. That’s what the QB coach’s job is.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome
                      ideally I'd want to look at Alex Smith if he's looking at a backup/mentoring role.
                      If not, Stick will work
                      What say you?
                      Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Parcells
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Welcome
                        ideally I'd want to look at Alex Smith if he's looking at a backup/mentoring role.
                        If not, Stick will work
                        What say you?
                        I would definitely be cool with Smith. He would have no expectation to start and would know he’s there in the mentoring role. He is from San Diego. He’s already been a good mentor to Mahomes.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

just for the record, am on the Jonnu and JJ bandwagon....

QB Matt Schaub
                          WR JuJu Smith Schuster
                          TE Jonnu Smith, Jared Cook, David Njoku (trade)
                          OG John Miller
                          OC Alex Mack
                          SCB Brian Poole
                          CB Troy Hill
                          SS John Johnson

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

Working...
                          X