• Show
Clear All
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

HH is a must. Herbert has always loved throwing to TE going back to his Oregon days and they showed real chemistry this year, especially over the middle.

MD43 I think we should try and bring back on a shorter term deal, 1 or 2 years. New coaches and a new scheme I think will help continue his development and he looked like our beat outside CB last year. Let Hayward go and use that money to resign him.

Jenkins gets a hard time but I wouldn’t mind seeing him come back. He can play either S spot, and I’m expecting a lot of 3 safety looks with Staley. James, Jenkins, and Adderly offer a lot of flexibility and creativity with your DB sets. Maybe Gilman can fill that role but it’s a little worrisome that he didn’t see the field more this season considering the injuries back there.

Perryman coming back would be great but I don’t know how much of a role we have for him with Tranquill and Murray. If he’s ok being a rotational piece and contributing on ST then sign me up.

Tevi, Lamp, Feeney can all go in my opinion. If we are signing one then Tevi would be my choice in a swing tackle role. Honestly I thought he showed a lot of improvement this year and long term may be able to start at RT. If he wants starting LT money then see you later. Lamp and Feeney are just so inconsistent it’s hard to want to push money their way. Feeney as a backup IOL would be fine but I’ve seen enough of him as a starter. Lamp finally got a chance but I felt like I saw him getting pushed around a lot more than I saw him controlling his man.

One nice thing with having so many FA coming up is that the new coaching staff can just keep who fits and let everyone else go. It’s a lot more flexibility than you usually have in a given offseason, hopefully that works to our advantage.

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
      HH is a must. Herbert has always loved throwing to TE going back to his Oregon days and they showed real chemistry this year, especially over the middle.

MD43 I think we should try and bring back on a shorter term deal, 1 or 2 years. New coaches and a new scheme I think will help continue his development and he looked like our beat outside CB last year. Let Hayward go and use that money to resign him.

Jenkins gets a hard time but I wouldn’t mind seeing him come back. He can play either S spot, and I’m expecting a lot of 3 safety looks with Staley. James, Jenkins, and Adderly offer a lot of flexibility and creativity with your DB sets. Maybe Gilman can fill that role but it’s a little worrisome that he didn’t see the field more this season considering the injuries back there.

Perryman coming back would be great but I don’t know how much of a role we have for him with Tranquill and Murray. If he’s ok being a rotational piece and contributing on ST then sign me up.

Tevi, Lamp, Feeney can all go in my opinion. If we are signing one then Tevi would be my choice in a swing tackle role. Honestly I thought he showed a lot of improvement this year and long term may be able to start at RT. If he wants starting LT money then see you later. Lamp and Feeney are just so inconsistent it’s hard to want to push money their way. Feeney as a backup IOL would be fine but I’ve seen enough of him as a starter. Lamp finally got a chance but I felt like I saw him getting pushed around a lot more than I saw him controlling his man.

One nice thing with having so many FA coming up is that the new coaching staff can just keep who fits and let everyone else go. It’s a lot more flexibility than you usually have in a given offseason, hopefully that works to our advantage.
      This:

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
        HH is a must. Herbert has always loved throwing to TE going back to his Oregon days and they showed real chemistry this year, especially over the middle. What is "must" about him ? that fans like him ? that TT drafted him ? HH will be priced out of our range. Green, Parham, Anderson, Sokol, & draft pick will be fine, unless there's a Hollywood discount. Hell, I mocked a TE named Hunter blindfolded.

MD43 I think we should try and bring back on a shorter term deal, 1 or 2 years. New coaches and a new scheme I think will help continue his development and he looked like our beat outside CB last year. Let Hayward go and use that money to resign him. Draft a MAN CB. This guy is a gusD ZONE CB and will be expensive. Hayward is a perfect fit for making plays in disguised coverages. His issues in 2020 were health not age, and he is under contract.

Jenkins gets a hard time but I wouldn’t mind seeing him come back. He can play either S spot, and I’m expecting a lot of 3 safety looks with Staley. James, Jenkins, and Adderly offer a lot of flexibility and creativity with your DB sets. Maybe Gilman can fill that role but it’s a little worrisome that he didn’t see the field more this season considering the injuries back there. I do not like Adderley at Safety. And I bet you Staley does not either. There are lots of Safeties in this draft. There's Justin Simmons and John Johnson III out there as UFAs, in addition to Jenkins, another gusD type player. Do not be surprised if Safety is prioritized, with sure tackling, consistent, quick decision making and ball skills as priorities as desired traits.

Perryman coming back would be great but I don’t know how much of a role we have for him with Tranquill and Murray. If he’s ok being a rotational piece and contributing on ST then sign me up. Staley does not place highest value on LBs. Also Perryman is someone I want back. He's our Micah Kiser. The price is right. Murray to JACK. Uchenna, Tranquill, Kyzer, Egbule to EDGE.

Tevi, Lamp, Feeney can all go in my opinion. If we are signing one then Tevi would be my choice in a swing tackle role. Honestly I thought he showed a lot of improvement this year and long term may be able to start at RT. If he wants starting LT money then see you later. Lamp and Feeney are just so inconsistent it’s hard to want to push money their way. Feeney as a backup IOL would be fine but I’ve seen enough of him as a starter. Lamp finally got a chance but I felt like I saw him getting pushed around a lot more than I saw him controlling his man. Bet you they all stay, as cheap depth if nothing else. There are snaps together and mutual development with fewer OL weak points to be considered. The Oline is a unit. I prioritize an OL splash UFA signing + a round 1-3 draft pick.

Good post B14YP. Contrarion commentary is provided above. I am also anxiously awaiting the announcement of our Oline coach before trying to clean up that mess. Bulaga is an albatross.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
          Good post B14YP. Contrarion commentary is provided above. I am also anxiously awaiting the announcement of our Oline coach before trying to clean up that mess. Bulaga is an albatross.
          Appreciate the alternate look at things. I view HH as a must do to surrounding Herbert with some level of consistency and doing it with his playmakers is the easiest way to do it with an all new coaching staff. HH also has a complete TE skill set that is becoming more and more scarce in the NFL and was the second leading receiver on the team this year. Yes we can find other TE via the draft but I think there are a lot better uses of our draft picks and plenty of advantages to bringing HH back. We have cap space, if we can talk about bringing in a guy like Justin Simmons then we have the money to bring in HH.

Davis has the speed and size to play man, to me he has looked more out of place playing zone over the years than he would playing man. Obviously there’s a difference in techniques so if the coaching staff doesn’t think he can work in the new defense let him go. Hayward’s injury history at his age doesn’t fill me with confidence that he’ll just snap back to the player he was. Even 2 seasons ago you started to see guys getting a half step on him. I do think he can still contribute but is it worth the cap and taking those reps away from a younger player at this point? I’m all for drafting a CB in the first if Surtain or Farley are there (Farley-Little 1-2 would have me thrilled) so I don’t think MD43 is a must resign but I think he has a good chance of being able to find success in our new D.

I agree with you about Adderly but the thing he has going for him is his experience at CB. Looking at the Rams D this year they used a S in the slot a lot of the time, out of our current S Adderly is probably best suited to that role. Jenkins, Adderly, and Derwin all give us a high level of flexibility on the back end that I think Staley would be able to do a lot of things with.

I would love to have Perryman back. I see him as that Godfrey type role from the Marty days. He won’t make a ton of plays behind the line of scrimmage or in the passing game but you tell him to go tackle a guy and that guy is going to get tackled. Reliable tacklers is still something this defense is short on.

I would be fine bringing those OL back as depth pieces but Feeney at the very least should be asking for starter money. I’d almost be happy going into the draft with a bunch of holes on the roster at OL if for no other reason than we know TT would be throwing picks at it.

This will be a very interesting off season for us, I’m excited to see what exactly our roster looks like come the season. I wouldn’t be surprised with a lot of new starters on the depth chart next year. At least we all know QB is taken care of and that’s a relief we didn’t have last year!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Good points, Bearded.
            My favorite aspect of Henry's well-rounded game is his route running.
            I also greatly appreciate that you and I can have a substantive football conversation instead of a silly debate over minutiae.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

If Bulaga is an albatross, then what is Turner?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

This:

My hope is Telesco is not tied to anybody just to save a draft pick he made. Granted he did cut Derek Cox after one year

And I think Hunter Henry - at the right price - should be a big priority. But if Staley and Hill think there are better options at FS than Jenkins; fine.

I think having cap space will work to the Chargers advantage. Both this year and next year. They can rob a little 2021 Peter to pay 2022 Paul for the right players

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If Bulaga is an albatross, then what is Turner?
                  Turner will be waived is my guess
                  Linsley, Feliciano, Austin Blythe

Comment

• OhioBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Mike Williams I think will be over-priced as was Tyrell Williams was, so it is kind of the same situation.

When Kennan Allen went out the 2016 season after week 1, Tyrell stepped up big and went over a 1000 he had to we had nobody else to go to.

2020 Allen this season played injured and missed last two games and Mike Williams didn't take up the slack and the KC game when he went over 100 doesn't count they were playing against lot of bench players.

I think we would like to have Mike Williams back, but I think we have more options at the WR position going in 2021 with Guyton, Johnson, KJ Hill and Reed to go with Allen versus 2019 when Tyrell left we were left with basically just Mike Williams to go with Allen, here was the the rest or WR Benjamin, Inman, Patton, and Moore so if Mike Williams is to much we $$$ we will be okay.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Good points, Bearded.
                      My favorite aspect of Henry's well-rounded game is his route running.
                      I also greatly appreciate that you and I can have a substantive football conversation instead of a silly debate over minutiae.
                      Right back at you wu. I know a thing or two but I certainly don’t know it all, especially since we all only have best guesses as to what this new coaching staff is trying to accomplish. Always enjoy reading the take of guys like you who have reasoning behind their take other than just because someone said something that one time in a certain context.

Henry really is impressive in his ability to get open, I was wondering last season if he’s been working with KA on that. Different body types and routes but HH always seems to have that extra foot or two of space like KA does which is especially helpful as he works the middle of the field the majority of the time.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                        Fluent in Sarcasm
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Iowa
                        • Man of the People
                        • Send PM

The hard thing for projecting MW going forward (aside from the money aspect) is simply does his style of play mesh with Herbert? In Herbert’s 4 years as a starter he only threw more than 20 passes to a WR over 6’2” once and that was grad-transfer Juwan Johnson his senior year. Herbert doesn’t really have that ‘throw it up and let the WR make a play’ mentality because he’s using to throwing to guys under 6’ where that’s not really an option. I think that’s why he had a lot of success throwing to guys like Guyton and Johnson, he’s used to those quick twitch guys. Most of MW’s big catches this year that I remember were run after the catch scenarios instead of the big jump balls he was catching with Rivers. I think both MW and Herbert need to spend time together this offseason to work on that connection. Working on the jump ball will help Herbert and MW realizing Herbert wants to get him the ball where he can make plays after the catch will be mutually beneficial and a huge help to this offense. To me that’s the hard part of MW’s game that doesn’t make him worth the big money. Great at high pointing and winning the contested catch, but it’s hard on his body and there are times he doesn’t need to do that and he leaves yards on the field. Become a weapon on the short to intermediate routes and he may be worth that big money coming his way this season.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

I’ve read this a couple of times but haven’t seen confirmed........

TE coach/run game coordinator or OL Coach/RGC?
                          Frank has been an Oline coach in college and played same.

Las Vegas Raiders tight ends coach Frank Smith is expected to join the coaching staff – likely as the offensive line coach/run game coach – under new head coach Brandon Staley with the Los Angeles Chargers
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X