• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKFlyFisher
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2020
    • Send PM

A few of my thoughts:
    1. At the time of the draft, I criticized the McKitty pick and still do. Quinn Meinerz was the no brainer pick at 97, even if he is interior line. Maybe the failure of Pipkins left them shy about drafting Meinerz. I'm not sure that is a good reason though. Anyway, with Slater, Meinerz, and Jaimes, the OL would have been moving in the right direction. To me, McKitty was not the best available at 97. It just didn't make sense and after camp and preseason, it still doesn't make sense. I get they viewed him as really an addition to the OL, but at 97, this team needed players. It hurts more seeing how Meinerz has performed and what he could have provided to this OL group.
    2. I went back and reviewed the preseason games, and if Staley wanted to make a point about the lack of depth -- and just the general poor drafting by Telesco over the last 3 years -- he did it at least implicitly. Other than WR and TE (ironically -- Anderson makes the McKitty pick even more perplexing), I'm not thrilled with the overall talent in too many of the various groups.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

TT should have Jakeem Grant on speed dial for that WR6/PR role. Word is Dolphins aren’t keeping him because Waddle’s on return duties now, and they would trade Grant for a late round pick rather than letting him hit the waiver wire. Grant received All-Pro votes as a returner last year and had 36 catches, too.

Pretty sure most would agree that Grant is better than KJ Hill and Bandy.
      The Chargers -- per OTC - should be getting four comp picks next spring, two in the 6th, two in the 5th. Granted with Tevi going on IR - not sure but lets say one of the 6ths goes, that still leaves 5 picks over those two rounds. A guy like Grant for a 6th that becomes a 5th is a no brainer

I would also say that about OL depth or just taking Marcus Cannon

TElesco - probably won't do either.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
        A few of my thoughts:
        1. At the time of the draft, I criticized the McKitty pick and still do. Quinn Meinerz was the no brainer pick at 97, even if he is interior line. Maybe the failure of Pipkins left them shy about drafting Meinerz. I'm not sure that is a good reason though. Anyway, with Slater, Meinerz, and Jaimes, the OL would have been moving in the right direction. To me, McKitty was not the best available at 97. It just didn't make sense and after camp and preseason, it still doesn't make sense. I get they viewed him as really an addition to the OL, but at 97, this team needed players. It hurts more seeing how Meinerz has performed and what he could have provided to this OL group.
        2. I went back and reviewed the preseason games, and if Staley wanted to make a point about the lack of depth -- and just the general poor drafting by Telesco over the last 3 years -- he did it at least implicitly. Other than WR and TE (ironically -- Anderson makes the McKitty pick even more perplexing), I'm not thrilled with the overall talent in too many of the various groups.
        I wanted another pick by the end of Day 2 for the OL as well. Meinerz would have been a solid choice. Plus another OL on Day 3 - so out of 9 picks, three would have been OL.

9 years on the job - Telesco is still lucky to have one..

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I wanted another pick by the end of Day 2 for the OL as well. Meinerz would have been a solid choice. Plus another OL on Day 3 - so out of 9 picks, three would have been OL.

9 years on the job - Telesco is still lucky to have one..
          Herbert saved his job, buying time. Now Staley has helped make him look like a draft guru, funny how things changed on a dime, 2017 & 2019 drafts where fireable offenses.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
            Fluent in Sarcasm
            • Jun 2013
            • Iowa
            • Man of the People
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The Chargers -- per OTC - should be getting four comp picks next spring, two in the 6th, two in the 5th. Granted with Tevi going on IR - not sure but lets say one of the 6ths goes, that still leaves 5 picks over those two rounds. A guy like Grant for a 6th that becomes a 5th is a no brainer

I would also say that about OL depth or just taking Marcus Cannon

TElesco - probably won't do either.
            I could be wrong but I believe Tevi going to IR doesn’t effect the comp pick situation, it’s only if he was released outright that we wouldn’t get a pick. Since he wasn’t looking like a lock to make the roster him being IRed may have been a blessing for us.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
              A few of my thoughts:
              We agree on the need for more OL in this draft, instead of a TE at #97.

Good point on Staley making it abundantly clear during the preseason that the OL depth is not up to snuff for a team that has high expectations.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Sounds like Lemonier is cut #1 per Jeremy Fowler.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                  Sounds like Lemonier is cut #1 per Jeremy Fowler.
                  Likely to the PS after he clears waivers.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • New Jersey
                    • Send PM

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        I'd like to do a bit of hindsight drafting here.

I don't know where Tre' McKitty is in his development. But Cook and Parham are locks. Stephen Anderson has looked pretty good in the preseason, and he started to build some rapport with Herbert late last season, if you remember that. His strength is as a blocking TE though (correct me if I'm wrong). It may come down to having to make a tough decision between McKitty and Anderson. I'm just thinking the #97 pick could have been used for more OL help, to upgrade from Storm and Pipkins.

OT James Hudson, 6-4, out of Cincinnati, was available. The Browns drafted him in the 4th round at #110, and he is listed as the No. 2 LT on their depth chart. At #128 in the 4th round, the Steelers drafted OT Dan Moore, 6-5, 309 out of Texas A&M. He, too, is listed as the 2 LT on the Steeler's depth chart.

I realize that if Telesco had used the #97 pick on either of these guys, he might have made a different decision at #159 in the 5th round, where he drafted Brenden Jaimes. But why not draft an OT with the second 3rd pick and another OT in the 5th after drafting an OT with the 1st round pick? What's wrong with drafting three OTs, when your OL was the team's biggest liability the previous season, and you want turn it around in one year?

I hope McKitty makes me look stupid by having a surprise rookie season. But right now it looks like we could have gotten McKitty's skill set in free agency or later in the draft or from a UDFA. Or, even better, IMO, pay Hunter Henry with all the cap space the Chargers have not used, and eliminate the need to draft a young TE that is going to take time to develop. This team needed OL more than it needed a TE.

ADDENDUM: I didn't clarify that James is an OG for the Bolts. So it would have been OT in rounds 1 & 3 and an OG in round 5. I would prefer that to drafting a TE with a round 3 comp pick that is going have a big impact right away.
                        Chargers did need to draft a round TE with multipurpose talent but I was surprised who they took and when. I agree, there were better uses for that particular draft pick, such as adding another OT since all of the ones we had were not great......

Chargers should have traded a future pick for Trent Williams who is currently dominating for 49ers....that way Slater could have started on right side and Buluga would be the number one reserve/swing.....

I was surprised by the Palmer pick(because I had never heard of him) but he looks like a gem and future number one or 2 WR...... he looks like a pro already..... Hill is not quick or fast enough to be an NFL WR or returner(lacks explosiveness)..... so I like the idea of trading with MIA for Grant, as others have suggested.....

Im surprised they have not used Mckitty much in pre season...... is he a bust?, or is he so good in practice that they dont want to expose him in a pre season game?

I could see no surprising cuts(since TT and Spanos are so conservative), but I could also see TT possibly:

- keeping only 2 QB's...... (3 is wasting a roster spot)

- Cutting/trading Jackson and/or Kelley and picking up one of the many good 49er's RB's that they dont need....

- Cutting Hill and picking up an explosive WR/KR......

- Cutting Pipkins and Storm and picking up 2 better OL from anywhere to replace them..... (why keep so many OL when so many are bad?).... resides me of years ago, we had no LBers so we stupidly kept like 9 of them just because they couldn't find any who could play.....so we kept rotating bad players in and out..... so no one of them would play enough to look like a disaster.... lol

- Cutting Fayson(who simply can't cover) and grabbing one of the good DB's the donkeys will cut.....

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          ok, the easy cuts are done.....

Comment

Working...
                          X