• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
    Kelley had one long run and that was the opener against since last year the whole was wide open, he lacks vision and isn't very instinctive he is a waste of a roster position, still not understand the cut Tyron Johnson, but we should drop Kelley and get Latavius Murray unless he is after big $$$$, there are better ways to fill the roster, there are guys you can bring in and give a physical and try out like OT Mitchell Shwartz or RB Todd Gurley these guys are older and coming off injuries shouldn't cost much if they are physically able to go, but to keep Kelley is a complete waste.
    Speaking of poor vision, Kelley is kind of like a poor man's Moaning Mel...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Kelley whiffed on special teams block last year causing a kick to get block.

Ekeler was a DNP with hamstring today.

There is no reliable experience back up on the depth chart at RB.

Kelley also puts the ball on the ground too much in his short career. Murray is very reliable rock protector.

Adding the vet Murray for this season makes sense to me.

He was just released and deals don't always happen within 24 hours. I'd expect him to be signed somewhere. I'm hoping it with LAC.
      You want to sign him tonight to get him ready to play on Sunday in DC?
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

I need help understanding this. Why KJ Hill as the punt returner and 5th WR? First let me say I like Hill. I was rooting for him to succeed last season (I was comparing him to Keenan McCardell) and felt he was starting to figure it out late in the year. I am rooting for him this season to develop as a WR. But I don't see him as a punt returner. He was unspectacular at it last season. He's not fast nor particularly shifty. His return yardage is not impressive at all (6.9) He fumbled one punt. As a receiver he had only had 7 receptions for 73 yards.

Why is he returning punts? I have seen him practicing catching punts while holding multiple footballs to improve his fielding skills with a seeming determination never to fumble another punt again. But how is he more valuable than Tyron Johnson? I could see it if he were a dynamic returner, like Adderley showed last season as a kick returner. But Hill is not that. Maybe they value sure-handedness over the ability to return the ball for decent yardage. But he did have that fumble last season.

When you are only keeping 5 WRs on your roster, I would think that the 5 best receivers are the priority. And Johnson is night and day better as a receiver than Hill, at this point in their careers anyway.

Comment

• pigskin
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Southern Oregon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I need help understanding this. Why KJ Hill as the punt returner and 5th WR? First let me say I like Hill. I was rooting for him to succeed last season (I was comparing him to Keenan McCardell) and felt he was starting to figure it out late in the year. I am rooting for him this season to develop as a WR. But I don't see him as a punt returner. He was unspectacular at it last season. He's not fast nor particularly shifty. His return yardage is not impressive at all (6.9) He fumbled one punt. As a receiver he had only had 7 receptions for 73 yards.

Why is he returning punts? I have seen him practicing catching punts while holding multiple footballs to improve his fielding skills with a seeming determination never to fumble another punt again. But how is he more valuable than Tyron Johnson? I could see it if he were a dynamic returner, like Adderley showed last season as a kick returner. But Hill is not that. Maybe they value sure-handedness over the ability to return the ball for decent yardage. But he did have that fumble last season.

When you are only keeping 5 WRs on your roster, I would think that the 5 best receivers are the priority. And Johnson is night and day better as a receiver than Hill, at this point in their careers anyway.
          None of us know for sure, Maybe T-Billy couldn't grasp the playbook, maybe it was an attitude thing, my best guess is that he didn't play special teams and the idea that anybody can play special teams is what got us ranked 32nd in that area last year.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Short answer: Field Position & Takeaways

Staley is determined to stop the bleeding on special teams and turn a negative, “takeaways” into a positive.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Short answer: Field Position & Takeaways

Staley is determined to stop the bleeding on special teams and turn a negative, “takeaways” into a positive.
              It's kind of funny the reaction about cutting a guy with 20 career receptions. He was a nice deep threat, but is clearly a one trick pony. Hill didn't exactly light anything up last year, but clearly the coaching staff felt he could help on ST as you point out so it's pretty obvious why he is here and Johnson isn't.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by pigskin View Post

None of us know for sure, Maybe T-Billy couldn't grasp the playbook, maybe it was an attitude thing, my best guess is that he didn't play special teams and the idea that anybody can play special teams is what got us ranked 32nd in that area last year.
                Or even worse, maybe T-Bill didn't WANT to play special teams...THAT would be a problem...

Comment

• Eurobolt
                  *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

I have traded for Ekeler in fantasy, has anyone got inside info about this injury pretty please.

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You want to sign him tonight to get him ready to play on Sunday in DC?
                    Yes. As he already knows Lombardi system.
                    I think he could do just fine.
                    But they can wait until Ekeler is sideline because of hamstring on GameDay and Kelley disappoints with missed block that gets Herbert jacked up.

Why they keep him or Pipkins. I see no potential to be any better than a warm body in a uniform. I'd rather both be replaced with veterans who have done good work in their careers when called upon. Think it improves the team IQ and helps Herbert to have some experience back up that are less likely to get him jacked up if and when they play.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

It's kind of funny the reaction about cutting a guy with 20 career receptions. He was a nice deep threat, but is clearly a one trick pony. Hill didn't exactly light anything up last year, but clearly the coaching staff felt he could help on ST as you point out so it's pretty obvious why he is here and Johnson isn't.
                      Both on twitter and this forum - more so on Twitter - the cutting of T Billy was something I have never seen on cut day for a guy who was one of the last few players on the roster

Its obvious he was not a player that could help them on Special Teams. And whn you are 48-53 on the roster - you have to have that ability.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Both on twitter and this forum - more so on Twitter - the cutting of T Billy was something I have never seen on cut day for a guy who was one of the last few players on the roster

Its obvious he was not a player that could help them on Special Teams. And whn you are 48-53 on the roster - you have to have that ability.
                        Yep...coaches count heavily on second and third stringers to play ST's, so as not to tire out the starters...or expose them to high-speed collision injuries...if yer a 2nd or 3rd stringer and either can't or don't want to play ST's, that's a major issue...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                          Draftnik
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Im over it now, but I think most people’s (including my own) immediate reactions re: cutting Johnson were based on three factors.

1. Excitement with the long ball

2. Underdog story

3. The belief he was ascending
                          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

Working...
                          X