Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    Popper’s conclusion

Sometimes watching Herbert in this quick-passing offense feels like watching a Ferrari owner who only drives in 35 mph speed limit zones. But for now, the silver lining is that Herbert is being groomed to play quarterback the way that we’ve seen so many quarterbacks who have played at elite levels for 10-plus years play, and that’s not an easy style to learn. He’s being forced to diagnose defenses and execute sound/safe concepts, only he’s doing it with a bazooka for an arm. The hope is that as Herbert gets more comfortable, the playbook will expand with more downfield passing eventually. I’m not truly comparing and ranking him with some of league’s top-tier quarterbacks here but I believe his continued development in his ability to play inside of structure will give him a dimension that some of his contemporaries aren’t as strong in. There will be a point in which he has to be unleashed and allowed to attack downfield more. If he gets that point, defenses can’t sit back because of his willingness to play in rhythm and throw short.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Popper’s conclusion

Sometimes watching Herbert in this quick-passing offense feels like watching a Ferrari owner who only drives in 35 mph speed limit zones. But for now, the silver lining is that Herbert is being groomed to play quarterback the way that we’ve seen so many quarterbacks who have played at elite levels for 10-plus years play, and that’s not an easy style to learn. He’s being forced to diagnose defenses and execute sound/safe concepts, only he’s doing it with a bazooka for an arm. The hope is that as Herbert gets more comfortable, the playbook will expand with more downfield passing eventually. I’m not truly comparing and ranking him with some of league’s top-tier quarterbacks here but I believe his continued development in his ability to play inside of structure will give him a dimension that some of his contemporaries aren’t as strong in. There will be a point in which he has to be unleashed and allowed to attack downfield more. If he gets that point, defenses can’t sit back because of his willingness to play in rhythm and throw short.
      Thats right. There are route options and defensive reads for those quick passes and once he is good at that, the long passes will be gravy.

They will come at some point but i also agree with Lombardi in what he said, when thinking of those type of plays as Herbert only completed 37.7% of his long bombs.......he said would i rather be 2nd and 2 or second and 10?
      Well good point but hey, take a shot a couple times a game if anything else jut to show it even if it dont work.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-28-2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2020
        • Send PM

It seems to me that there are more blowout losses this year than last, even though the overall record is better. I am very concerned with the week to week inconsistency and some of the losses to teams that the Bolts should have played better against. The offensive line has been overhauled, but the maddening game to game inconsistency is a huge issue. Top defensive minds have stymied the Chargers the most. That Steelers team hasn’t looked anywhere near as good the week before and after the Chargers game. I understand the desire to remain positive, but I thought I was doing that last season.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
          It seems to me that there are more blowout losses this year than last, even though the overall record is better. I am very concerned with the week to week inconsistency and some of the losses to teams that the Bolts should have played better against. The offensive line has been overhauled, but the maddening game to game inconsistency is a huge issue. Top defensive minds have stymied the Chargers the most. That Steelers team hasn’t looked anywhere near as good the week before and after the Chargers game. I understand the desire to remain positive, but I thought I was doing that last season.
          The line may have been overhauled, but only 2 of the 5 starters played today. The inconsistencies by our O are games against good D coordinators who we have had zero answers for. The non-stop free rushers at the QB is making it very difficult to sustain anything.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            Popper's conclusion

Sometimes watching Herbert in this quick-passing offense feels like watching a Ferrari owner who only drives in 35 mph speed limit zones. But for now, the silver lining is that Herbert is being groomed to play quarterback the way that we've seen so many quarterbacks who have played at elite levels for 10-plus years play, and that's not an easy style to learn. He's being forced to diagnose defenses and execute sound/safe concepts, only he's doing it with a bazooka for an arm. The hope is that as Herbert gets more comfortable, the playbook will expand with more downfield passing eventually. I'm not truly comparing and ranking him with some of league's top-tier quarterbacks here but I believe his continued development in his ability to play inside of structure will give him a dimension that some of his contemporaries aren't as strong in. There will be a point in which he has to be unleashed and allowed to attack downfield more. If he gets that point, defenses can't sit back because of his willingness to play in rhythm and throw short.
            Herbie proved last season he's an elite long ball passer...what's with this "eventually" nonsense??? Oh, and in the meantime, we're losing winnable games because Lombo apparently doesn't feel Herbie is ready to sling it long yet...SMH...

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The line may have been overhauled, but only 2 of the 5 starters played today. The inconsistencies by our O are games against good D coordinators who we have had zero answers for. The non-stop free rushers at the QB is making it very difficult to sustain anything.
              Didn't sound like Staley was very impressed with Kelemente in his pressor. Keeps saying Jaime's just lacks experience bit won't elaborate and Samuel lacks experience too but he is starting.

Staley also said he was looking for someone to step up at 2nd string RB. Kelly got the call today and JJ sat the bench.
              More miscommunication with Ek and Herbert on the pick 6 INT.

Herbert is funny in his pressor. Said the OL did a great job lol,. ...and appreciates those guys. C mon Justin they sucked ass.

Comment

• Lack of pass blocking is the biggest problem with the Bolts in the games we have lost. Herbert most of the time does not have time to pass. Part of that is lack of a good running game. They go hand in hand. If we decide to draft defense, and become a good defensive team eventually....we still need a running game to do that. I really think Anthony Lynn would have done better with this team. Staley seems to have no idea how to right a sinking ship. Seriously...with Lynn...that were flashes of a good running game at least. Ekeler while a nice little 3rd down back just does not have it. Either power or speed. Draft the most powerful runner you can find. And draft the fastest. One-Two.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
                  They are very inconsistent, perhaps they are disadvantaged against teams that have been running the same system for multiple years. your note of the overhauled OL doesn’t note that 3/5ths of that overhaul did not play, and their replacements are dumpster dive scrubs. That’s 3/5 of the OL that couldn’t start on a single team in the league.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• victoriaboltfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • victoria b.c.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They are very inconsistent, perhaps they are disadvantaged against teams that have been running the same system for multiple years. your note of the overhauled OL doesn’t note that 3/5ths of that overhaul did not play, and their replacements are dumpster dive scrubs. That’s 3/5 of the OL that couldn’t start on a single team in the league.
                    We have had a shitty oline since TT became gm
                    Coincidence? I think not !!

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by victoriaboltfan View Post

We have had a shitty oline since TT became gm
                      Coincidence? I think not !!
                      We haven't had a decent O line since around 2006 with:

McNeill - Dielman - Hardwick - Goff - Olivea

Long...time...ago....zzzz....zzzzzz...zz.....

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Didn't sound like Staley was very impressed with Kelemente in his pressor. Keeps saying Jaime's just lacks experience bit won't elaborate and Samuel lacks experience too but he is starting.

Staley also said he was looking for someone to step up at 2nd string RB. Kelly got the call today and JJ sat the bench.
                        More miscommunication with Ek and Herbert on the pick 6 INT.

Herbert is funny in his pressor. Said the OL did a great job lol,. ...and appreciates those guys. C mon Justin they sucked ass.
                        Jaimes has probably never played guard: never at Nebraska, possibly never in high school.
                        Still, he was a 4 year starter at Nebraska.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

We haven't had a decent O line since around 2006 with:

McNeill - Dielman - Hardwick - Goff - Olivea

Long...time...ago....zzzz....zzzzzz...zz.....
                          That was a time before social media became a thing. It was also a time when Youtube was in its infancy.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍