Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

We haven't had a decent O line since around 2006 with:

McNeill - Dielman - Hardwick - Goff - Olivea

Long...time...ago....zzzz....zzzzzz...zz.....
    The 2013 Oline was decent, and so was the 2018 Oline, before Pouncey was beaten down.

Comment

• Dale SeasonTix
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Since 2006 the OL has been the worst performing unit over all. Never been in the top 10%-20%.

There is Never enough depth. Must still make it a goal in the next draft. Either with pick #1 or # another tackle. NO MORE signing old OL that never pan out. Long history of that (Balaga etc.)

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Dale SeasonTix View Post
        Since 2006 the OL has been the worst performing unit over all. Never been in the top 10%-20%.

There is Never enough depth. Must still make it a goal in the next draft. Either with pick #1 or # another tackle. NO MORE signing old OL that never pan out. Long history of that (Balaga etc.)
        The best thing that can happen is John Boy becomes a stay at home Dad.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

They might consider drafting an Olineman, late day 2 or day 3 that....

1. Actually played the same Oline position in college in which they intend to use him
          2. Mostly played against Division I competition
          3. Was a 3 - 4 year starter on the Oline
          4. Was not a converted defensive lineman
          5. Did not suffer a major injury the year that you draft him.

Slater, Fluker & Donavon Clark are the only fits to that non demanding criteria....if i am not mistaken, Troutman came in with a biceps injury.

Clark & Troutman were good draft picks who unfortunately got injured.

For Christ's sake, draft a RG to play RG on your damn football team. They'll get up and running sooner. Don't be so damn clever all the time!!!
          KC drafts a center at Oklahoma to play center, and a RG/LT at Tennessee to play RG.

Telesco keeps doing this shit again, & again, & again!!!!!!!!!:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

edit: Troutman was an AJ Smith selection & Clark seemed to be someone they stumbled upon when scouting Bosa intensively
          :LOL:
          Last edited by powderblueboy; 11-29-2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

They might consider drafting an Olineman, late day 2 or day 3 that....

1. Actually played the same Oline position in college in which they intend to use him
            2. Mostly played against Division I competition
            3. Was a 3 - 4 year starter on the Oline
            4. Was not a converted defensive lineman
            5. Did not suffer a major injury the year that you draft him.

Slater, Fluker & Donavon Clark are the only fits to that non demanding criteria....if i am not mistaken, Troutman came in with a biceps injury.

Clark & Troutman were good draft picks who unfortunately got injured.

For Christ's sake, draft a RG to play RG on your damn football team. They'll get up and running sooner. Don't be so damn clever all the time!!!
            KC drafts a center at Oklahoma to play center, and a RG/LT at Tennessee to play RG.

Telesco keeps doing this shit again, & again, & again!!!!!!!!!:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

edit: Troutman was an AJ Smith selection & Clark seemed to be someone they stumbled upon when scouting Bosa intensively
            :LOL:
            I so agree with the bold above.

We moved Lamb from his college position, LOT , To Guard - I wonder if he would have done well if they hadn't moved him? This year they are doing the same thing to Jaimes and - the need for an OT is greater or at least it was before this week. I've come to the conclusion that it's time for a different GM. We'll never have a better OL until we have a better GM.

And, we'll never be one of the better teams in the league until we have a team that can win in the trenches. Yesterdays game was an example of "lose in the trenches, lose the game "
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They are very inconsistent, perhaps they are disadvantaged against teams that have been running the same system for multiple years. your note of the overhauled OL doesn’t note that 3/5ths of that overhaul did not play, and their replacements are dumpster dive scrubs. That’s 3/5 of the OL that couldn’t start on a single team in the league.
              Denver had the same problem - 3 backups played in their OL too but we never stopped the run or rushed the passer. Our backups stink!
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

A profile of Telesco's Oline draft picks: I highlighted players kept at college position entering team (Tevi has an asterix for inexperience)

1. Fluker: 3 year starter on Alabama at RT.... placed at RT and then RG
                2. Chris Watt: played LG at Notre Dame... moved to RG and then center
                3. Pip: division III player at LT.... moved to bench
                4. Tuerk: blew out his knee his senior season.... red shirted and then waived.
                5. Clarke: 3 - 4 year starter at RG/RT for MSU...placed at a guard position for Chargers (never made it out of preseason)
                6. * Tevi: converted defensive lineman at Utah - two year starter at RT..... placed at RT
                7. Lamp: Division III LT...moved to RG
                8. Feeney: played mostly RG at Indiana.....moved to LG and then center
                7. Jaimes: played LT at Nebraska...moved to RG
                8. Slater: played LT at Northwestern.....LT on Chargers
                Last edited by powderblueboy; 11-29-2021, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Bulaga had a injury history so TT took a chance i wouldnt have taken when this OL already sucked.The Rams signed old vet OT Andrew Whitworth and he has been a stud for them. You just have to sign the right vet is all.

The draft is a great tool and you build from the draft but the key word is BUILD. Your 1st, 2nd and maybe your 3rd rounder can make an impact ....3rds if your lucky. After that the draft picks are a bigger crap shoot and id venture to say 4th round, and especially 5th on down more dont make it than those that do.

That said we have 4 comp picks. Not exactly sure which rounds as one place says we have an extra 4th comp, but ive seen it no where else so ill assume we still have three 6ths and an extra 7th....but who the hell knows right now. Thats what the mock simulators have for us and they update the draft order all the time.

At that point id look to use those to trade up for higher picks.....even to get the SDSU punter who can be a big asset as he is probably a 4th rounder at worst as the draft gets closer.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Good post Jolt.
                    We gotta be smart and realistic.
                    You don't know ball

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                      A profile of Telesco's Oline draft picks: I highlighted players kept at college position entering team (Tevi has an asterix for inexperience)

1. Fluker: 3 year starter on Alabama at RT.... placed at RT and then RG
                      2. Chris Watt: played LG at Notre Dame... moved to RG and then center
                      3. Pip: division III player at LT.... moved to bench
                      4. Tuerk: blew out his knee his senior season.... red shirted and then waived.
                      5. Clarke: 3 - 4 year starter at RG/RT for MSU...placed at a guard position for Chargers (never made it out of preseason)
                      6. * Tevi: converted defensive lineman at Utah - two year starter at RT..... placed at RT
                      7. Lamp: Division III LT...moved to RG
                      8. Feeney: played mostly RG at Indiana.....moved to LG and then center
                      7. Jaimes: played LT at Nebraska...moved to RG
                      8. Slater: played LT at Northwestern.....LT on Chargers
                      Not sure the point of that. Its not unusual for OL to play other OL possitions. Some college OTs just arent NFL OTs.

Lamp wasnt good as a OG let alone trying him at OT so i guess they knew what they were doing....and he isnt on a team as far as i know. A shame how far he has fallen.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Not sure the point of that. Its not unusual for OL to play other OL possitions. Some college OTs just arent NFL OTs.

Lamp wasnt good as a OG let alone trying him at OT so i guess they knew what they were doing....and he isnt on a team as far as i know. A shame how far he has fallen.
                        It is not just moving LTs to guard, it is jerking them to the opposite side of the Oline with the new position.
                        Belichick drafted the LT Tuney and moved him to LG. He drafted the RG Shaq Mason, and kept him there.
                        Why maximize the difficulty for a rookie?

Why did they not move Lamp to LG and keep Feeney at RG? After adjusting to the NFL, they can move them around more.

And there is also the drafting of guards and turning them into centers.
                        My point is this is not what they do on occasion, it is what they do period.
                        You can point to cases where Left tackles successfully convert to right guards (Zack Martin), and guards successfully convert to centers.
                        Generally, it is not the case.

How has this worked out for Telesco? If you have been successful, keep it up.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Funny you should mention Lamp because he was better than our backup Guards are right now. We should have kept him as a back-up. He did have two knee injuries that set him back and still he did better than the guy we watched at LG yesterday.

I HATE that we lost to Denver!
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞