• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

No to LB right now. I think you replace that with CB.
    NOt going to turn down unique talent at 17 -but all things considered, its RT or CB with pick 17.

I think they can get IDL in both free agency and later in the draft.

And I am not sure you can get CB1 or RT in free agency like you can IDL that are upgrades from the current players

Comment

• Xenos
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

NOt going to turn down unique talent at 17 -but all things considered, its RT or CB with pick 17.

I think they can get IDL in both free agency and later in the draft.

And I am not sure you can get CB1 or RT in free agency like you can IDL that are upgrades from the current players
      Yeah it’s weird how undervalued DT is in the draft unless there’s a freak like Donald or even Jones.

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Chargers could use upgrades everywhere.

My opinion is get undisputed BPA with first two picks in the draft regardless of position.

Then use FA to improve the other positions you desperately need.

Look at Rams. They use FA, not the draft. This antiquated notion you build a team through the draft is bullshit and why Telesco sucks so bad.

Jesus, how many times have the Chargers failed taking a first rounder because that was the biggest position of need and ended up with a Fluker? Or Mathews?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

My opinion is get undisputed BPA with first two picks in the draft regardless of position.

Look at Rams. They use FA, not the draft. This antiquated notion you build a team through the draft is bullshit and why Telesco sucks so bad.

Jesus, how many times have the Chargers failed taking a first rounder because that was the biggest position of need and ended up with a Fluker? Or Mathews?
          I agree with you
          Thats why I usually quantify with "not turning down unique talent and all things equal" = - but I agree with you that you take the best player or you leverage that player and trade back.

Its just my preference in the first round - if the talent fits would be RT or CB. Or, even trading back for more picks in R2-R4. Chargers have enough picks in R5-7 - now mabye the Comp pick game will move them up from a 6 to a 4. That would be nice

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Yeah it’s weird how undervalued DT is in the draft unless there’s a freak like Donald or even Jones.
            Thats a good question. It might be the role itself. A Jamal Williams type - meaning dominant IDL at 17, Vita Vea seems to be doing well with the Bucs. All depends on how the draft board and if a player at 17 fits the spot.

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

Agree with this. In the NFL now you only have a short window to make it happen with your QB on a rookie deal, no time to draft projects and build your team around a 7 year draft plan. Have to use the draft to supplement your FA and trade for good players. TT hates to trade and until last season has shown that he is scared of free agency.

Time to evolve or get fired TT.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

They’ve actually done well with the first rounders. Slater, Herbert, Derwin, MW and Bosa have all been foundational players. They’re failing elsewhere and with guys like Murray, Lamp, etc

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Agree with this. In the NFL now you only have a short window to make it happen with your QB on a rookie deal, no time to draft projects and build your team around a 7 year draft plan. Have to use the draft to supplement your FA and trade for good players. TT hates to trade and until last season has shown that he is scared of free agency.

Time to evolve or get fired TT.
                  TT isn’t scared of FA. The problem is that he’s more miss than hit in FA. Last year was surprisingly one of his hits. We need more of this if they don’t fire him.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Does Telesco prefer 1 gap penetrator though? All the DL and FA he drafted has been based on what Pagano and Bradley wanted.
                    I was thinking of Raheem Brock and how light those Polian Colts defenses were. I went back and checked their draft picks under Polian/Telesco and there just seemed
                    to be a disinclination to draft DTs period......

He resigned Liuget - only DT he's resigned.
                    He was reportedly interested in Taven Bryan....if James did not fall to him.

I don't know in what category you would place tillery.....he's unfortunately neither.

For the most part, he has barely spent any draft capitol on a space eater (much to beachcomber's chagrin). There was the guy from Arkansas State?...that was it.
                    Philon was playing end at Arkansas, and Justin Jones had mixed traits playing alongside BJ Hill.j

I would guess they are not interested in the massive Georgia DT at #17
                    Last edited by powderblueboy; 01-12-2022, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

You need to hit on both more often than not; and you need to know when to cut bait with a veteran.
                      Building through the draft exclusively, when you have most of them to a contract for only 4 years....who has succeeded at that?

Pittsburgh is the model organization for that: how are they doing lately?

Comment

• CivilBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

TT isn’t scared of FA. The problem is that he’s more miss than hit in FA. Last year was surprisingly one of his hits. We need more of this if they don’t fire him.
                        Last year’s success was probably due to the new coaching staff.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Last year’s success was probably due to the new coaching staff.
                          There is a thin line between winning and losing.

Start it all up again and this team could easily be 8 - 9, not a whole lot of difference.
                          More was expected having hit on the draft and free agency.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍