• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I was thinking of Raheem Brock and how light those Polian Colts defenses were. I went back and checked their draft picks under Polian/Telesco and there just seemed
    to be a disinclination to draft DTs period......

He resigned Liuget - only DT he's resigned.
    He was reportedly interested in Taven Bryan....if James did not fall to him.

I don't know in what category you would place tillery.....he's unfortunately neither.

For the most part, he has barely spent any draft capitol on a space eater (much to beachcomber's chagrin). There was the guy from Arkansas State?...that was it.
    Philon was playing end at Arkansas, and Justin Jones had mixed traits playing alongside BJ Hill.j

I would guess they are not interested in the massive Georgia DT at #17
    The problem is that TT let both lines go to shit over his first 8 or so years here. At some point, you have to invest in them.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
      Pretty much retired......
      • Sep 2018
      • JoJa
      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

At pick #17, there is now an outside chance Cross will fall to them; Trevor Penning might just be a reach there (although I like him and wouldn't mind the pick).

No, to an inside linebacker in the first round or two....the biggest swing of them all for Telesco (or most).
      Its not as important in Staley's D as other positions, and Tranquil/White (if resigned) will get better - they've hardly played the position in college/pros.
      Sometimes that inexperience/lack of instinct has shown up.

I'd consider one on day 3.....i've heard here that Chad Muma / jo jo Domaine are good and might be available later
      If Cross is there at 17 then it's a no brainer. However I believe that he will be long gone and I hope for Davis. But if Davis is gone as well, trading back 4 - 6 spots and picking up another 2 would be brilliant if we then got Penning at 22 - 25. Actually it would be a grand freaking slam. One can only wish.

I have watched Muma go in the 3rd of most of my mocks, sometimes 2nd and rarely 4th. Domaine is a new guy that I watch for and he goes in the 4th consistantly(ish). I agree on your assessment of Tranquil/White. I think we have a couple of pretty decent players there.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Nick Canepa’s Chargers report card: 2021 season grades

Chargers safety Alohi Gilman reacts after Sunday’s loss at Las Vegas left Los Angeles out of the postseason.
        (Steve Marcus / Getty Images)Union-Tribune columnist gives his final grades for the Chargers after disappointing season left them out of playoffs for third straight year

BY NICK CANEPACOLUMNIST
        JAN. 12, 2022 9 AM

The school year ended earlier than it should have for The NFL Team That Used To Be Here — you know, the Judases/L.A. Lodgers. They joined all the other losers who think they can beat the Vegas house with enough money, but not the intelligence, guidance, patience and luck. It’s called playing dumb.

Given that, here is the J’s final 2021 Report Card, written in indelible ink so they can’t change the grades before they bring them home to their parents:

Quarterbacks: A-

If there’s such a thing as a sophomore slump, Justin Herbert was vaccinated with a booster. He was good, a Pro Bowl starter. He made it through 17 games, completing 443 of 672 passes for 5,014 yards, 38 TDs vs. 15 picks, and a 97.7 passer rating. As Paul Silas would say, “He has Hall of Famer in his blood,” but that’s in a constellation far, far away. He’s terribly smart, huge-but-mobile, and is the best thrower of a football this side of Green Bay. No QB in history has done what he’s done his first two years. But he hasn’t made the playoffs, and while capable of carrying the weight, he shouldn’t be in must-win games in which he has to throw 64 times. One thing can hold him back: the organization. And, as history suggests, it’s more likely than not.

Running backs: B+

They really don’t need help here, although it would be nice to find a burner. Austin Ekeler is a protean player, one of the NFL’s finest all-around backs, and, most important to teacher, he knows how to score. In 16 games, he carried 206 times for 911 yards and 12 touchdowns, and caught 70 passes for 647 yards and 8 scores. A unique, wise, tailback. Backup Justin Jackson has developed nicely in all departments.

Receivers: C+

Should have been better. Even the substitute teacher, despite being pummeled by students throwing paper airplanes, expressed disappointment. There were separation problems later on, for whatever reasons, be it COVID, injuries or exhaustion. Keenan Allen remains one of the better route runners. He caught 106 passes for 1,138 yards and 6 TDs, but his effectiveness wasn’t there late in the season. Mike Williams, who can go short and deep, averaged 15.1 yards per catch — 76, for 1,146 yards and 9 TDs in an all-important contract year. Veteran TE acquisition Jared Cook was beyond helpful and Donald Parham (skilled, with a 6-foot-8 upside) was missed near the end with concussion issues. Williams must be invited back to class.

Offensive line: C

A big improvement over last year’s Five Blocks of Tofu. But not good enough. First-round draft choice Rashawn Slater not only was the top rookie left tackle, but one of the best LTs in The League. Acquiring All-Pro center Corey Linsley was a brilliant move. The problem here was at right tackle, where nurse’s office regular Bryan Bulaga played two quarters in the opener, had surgery on a core muscle, and that was his 2021. Bryan’s replacement, Storm “Warning” Norton, is a backup. Filling this position is a huge offseason priority.

Defensive line: D

Regulars Justin Jones, Linval Joseph, and Jerry Tilllery (who finally improved) are serviceable, but not mighty. There are days when they get pushed around, days when they don’t. Not a whole lot of depth here.

Linebackers: D-Secondary: D-

The return of Pro Bowler Derwin James, one of the finest, smartest safeties, kept this from being an F. Not even he could do enough to save things. Might have been worse if the run defense wasn’t so poor teams didn’t throw as much. They need some ballhawks back there.

Special teams: B

Best “teams” in years. Kicker Dustin Hopkins came aboard Oct. 26 (too late) and pretty much stabilized things, making 18 of 20 field goals. Veteran return man Andre Roberts was acquired Oct. 21 (too late) and had a 32.8 average on kickoffs, helped by a 101-yarder. His fumble on a punt return vs. the Raiders was enormous, leading to a short-field touchdown. But he’s a keeper. Ty Long had a 36.8 net average, worst in The League, so that job is going to be kicked around. Coverage was the best in memory.

Coaching: D-

Brandon Staley appears — appears — to have what it takes to be a head coach, but he gets a low grade for not going to the playoffs with a team that should have. His club lost games it very easily could have won — including the last one vs. the inferior Raiders along with the Cowboys, Chiefs, Patriots and Vikings. The crucial loss to pathetic Houston was among the most embarrassing in the history of a franchise that invented embarrassment. Staley walked across the hall from the Rams as a defensive wizard, but his D finished 23rd overall, 31st vs. the run, 31st on third downs. He gets great credit for being bold on fourth downs, but he went overboard and forgot to bring a preserver — especially in Vegas, a coaching loss. He’s smart. Thinking can be a hard learning tool to use in construction, but teacher sees a talent who just needs control. Smart head coaches who don’t stop doing stupid things soon go back to being coordinators.

Outlook: B-

They have a universally admired star in Herbert, but look it up. With the exception of Russell Wilson and Lamar Jackson — who missed his last four games — the top quarterbacks are in the playoffs. When you have a QB like this, there’s always a chance. But they need a right tackle who can block and defenders who can tackle. And a leader in the conning tower with figs who may know a way to stop their remarkable history of folding when they have a winning hand.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

The problem is that TT let both lines go to shit over his first 8 or so years here. At some point, you have to invest in them.
          He did. Just got unlucky with the players being meh or the coaches not doing their job. But he has definitely used a lot of draft stock and spent FA money on both lines.

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Agree with this. In the NFL now you only have a short window to make it happen with your QB on a rookie deal, no time to draft projects and build your team around a 7 year draft plan. Have to use the draft to supplement your FA and trade for good players. TT hates to trade and until last season has shown that he is scared of free agency.

Time to evolve or get fired TT.
            Arguably, the rebuilding of the Oline primarily through FA last offseason was more important to the success of the team than last years draft.

Something changed and I hope they do the same this year as they focus on the DLine.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

He did. Just got unlucky with the players being meh or the coaches not doing their job. But he has definitely used a lot of draft stock and spent FA money on both lines.
              After 9 years, its not lucky or unlucky - he just isn't that good of a GM. Not sure what influence John Boy has.

Here is an example of Telesco choosing a player
              Harris or Hayward would have been similar cap savings.

Telesco chose Harris - maybe the Staley connection from Denver. But it seems Hayward was a better player this year.

There are enough examples to show - he is who he is.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Arguably, the rebuilding of the Oline primarily through FA last offseason was more important to the success of the team than last years draft.

Something changed and I hope they do the same this year as they focus on the DLine.
                Telesco really focused on the OL. 3 free agents and two draft picks
                You are right, he needs to hit free agency for at least 2 IDL and the draft for another IDL, Edge and CB. 5 players - just not the OL.

Plus, needs starters or solid contributors from the top of the draft. Slater and Samuel were starters from Game 1

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Receivers: C+

Should have been better. Even the substitute teacher, despite being pummeled by students throwing paper airplanes, expressed disappointment. There were separation problems later on, for whatever reasons, be it COVID, injuries or exhaustion. Keenan Allen remains one of the better route runners. He caught 106 passes for 1,138 yards and 6 TDs, but his effectiveness wasn't there late in the season. Mike Williams, who can go short and deep, averaged 15.1 yards per catch -- 76, for 1,146 yards and 9 TDs in an all-important contract year. Veteran TE acquisition Jared Cook was beyond helpful and Donald Parham (skilled, with a 6-foot-8 upside) was missed near the end with concussion issues. Williams must be invited back to class.
                  I'm a bit surprised Canepa didn't mention all the costly DROPS by our receivers, ESPECIALLY Slayer...

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I give TT some credit for trying. But we can’t have that many fuck ups over the years in terms of talent evaluation.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Staley seems to want to,

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Staley seems to want to,
                        Yep and I bet minimum they will sign 1 DT if not 2.
                        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan​
                        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                        181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                        225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

After 9 years, its not lucky or unlucky - he just isn't that good of a GM. Not sure what influence John Boy has.

Here is an example of Telesco choosing a player
                          Harris or Hayward would have been similar cap savings.

Telesco chose Harris - maybe the Staley connection from Denver. But it seems Hayward was a better player this year.

There are enough examples to show - he is who he is.
                          agree, after 9 years, he has proven to not have great instincts for selecting players other then the no brainers, like Bosa, Herbert, Slater, James (all were clear BPA's where they were drafted).... his picks after the first for the most part are head scratchers....

he also has chosen some really bad HC's..... hoping in Staley he struck gold, but time will tell, but he seems to have potential..... Next year will be huge because he should be able to add or keep the players that fit his schemes... and get rid of this who dont.....

Harris was a pure slot CB..... Hayward was an outside CB..... 2 different positions.... both are past their time

Comment

Working...
                          X