• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I always had someone on my roster I trusted more and when bye weeks came and I needed him he was injured...

I would not draft him and even if he went on a run I wouldn't trust him.

As far as the Chargers are concerned I do not see him as a compliment to KA. He does not streech the field and he is not even as good as Malcom Floyd as a possession receiver. I would not look back if they let him go.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
      I always had someone on my roster I trusted more and when bye weeks came and I needed him he was injured...

I would not draft him and even if he went on a run I wouldn't trust him.

As far as the Chargers are concerned I do not see him as a compliment to KA. He does not streech the field and he is not even as good as Malcom Floyd as a possession receiver. I would not look back if they let him go.
      Well sorry, I don't agree there.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Checkout the latest stats for Malcom Floyd. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

scoreboard baby what you got?
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
          First 4 years of theirs careers for a fair comparison...........

M80 = 52 receptions, 821 yards, 15.8 YPR, 36 FD, 8 TDs.

MikeDub = 151 receptions, 2516 yards, 16.7 YPR, 125 FD, 17 TDs.

Not much to compare at this point. MikeDub is the far superior player during each players first 4 years in the NFL.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Floyd averaged 29 receptions a season in his whole career.

You said MW wasn't a Deep threat yet he had 1000 yards last season on 49 receptions. Career ave near 17.

I liked Floyd, as fragile as he was but MW is just better.

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

MW is probably gonna be too pricey next year.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

You forget the facts, one was not drafted and claimed the leader. One was drafted top ten and we are debating his value. TOO KEEP! Did these board ever argue to let Floyd go?

Go Rivers!

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  Floyd averaged 29 receptions a season in his whole career.

You said MW wasn't a Deep threat yet he had 1000 yards last season on 49 receptions. Career ave near 17.

I liked Floyd, as fragile as he was but MW is just better.
                  Total receiving yardage does not necessarily translate into an automatic deep threat...most of Mike Will's catches were in the intermediate range, between 10-30 yards...MW doesn't have the top speed to stretch the field...now, someone like Johnson or Guyton are true deep threats, but they've also shown they can run shorter routes...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Total receiving yardage does not necessarily translate into an automatic deep threat...most of Mike Will's catches were in the intermediate range, between 10-30 yards...MW doesn't have the top speed to stretch the field...now, someone like Johnson or Guyton are true deep threats, but they've also shown they can run shorter routes...
                    Mike Williams is not slow. No he isn't as fast as Guyton or Johnson. But he is fast enough to be a Deep threat and if he has a defender he goes to get the ball. Something we complained about that Tyrrell did Not do with defenders around him.

Most aren't home runs but they are big chunk deep throws.

Keep in mind these are Rivers throwing to him and some of these are underthrown but I'd certainly call him a Deep threat.

Check out at 3:25 of this one. It's a end around and look at his cut back and burst to get the TD.

When he gets his chances he comes thru but Keenan gets 140-150 targets a year alone.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Mike Williams is not slow. No he isn't as fast as Guyton or Johnson. But he is fast enough to be a Deep threat and if he has a defender he goes to get the ball. Something we complained about that Tyrrell did Not do with defenders around him.

Most aren't home runs but they are big chunk deep throws.

Keep in mind these are Rivers throwing to him and some of these are underthrown but I'd certainly call him a Deep threat.

Check out at 3:25 of this one. It's a end around and look at his cut back and burst to get the TD.

When he gets his chances he comes thru but Keenan gets 140-150 targets a year alone.

We need to sign MW and HH. MW is fast, when he gets a head of steam he can fly. Its just his quickness is not as good as KA and others but he is not slow at all.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Draft a WR in the second half of the draft and use MW money for O line.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Neither Floyd or Williams has true deep speed. They are long striders. Both take time to build their speed. In track they would be poor 50 to 100 meter sprinters, but better in the 200-400 m range. It is often a function of long legs, which take longer to take each stride but once the stride gets to full length, then they cover more distance per step, and the extra distance (per step) adds up.

Guyton and Johnson both have much better overall speed. Both are 4.3 40 guys, while WIlliams and Floyd were 4.5 guys. Guyton and Johnson are the kind of players who can get behind a D, while Floyd and Willaims are the kind that are probably going to win the jump ball downfield. All 4 of them are OK deep threats. Johnson and Guyton speed is more dangerous overall in that they can run shorter routes and use their speed to get YAC.

Floyd and Williams are not going to be very good in running short routes. They have the size to break tackles, but neither can get away from the DB very fast.

The biggest issue between the different receivers is that neither of the newer players is going to do much as a run blocker. If a running game is going to get big, chunk running plays, the WR HAVE to block downfield. Williams has gotten better in that regard, but Johnson and Guyton need some work there. But, in either case, you don't judge any player on just one aspect or not. None of these guy (MW, Guyton and Johnson) is such a dangerous deep threat that you would keep them just because of that one aspect of their game. It is a combination of all the different qualities. Deep, intermediate and short receiving... running after the catch ... route running ... catching the ball ... catch radius ... how they compete for the ball ... there are a lot of factors, and they all add up to how good a player is.

The biggest issue in who may be on the roster next season is that MW is getting paid a premiere money, but is not giving premiere WR production. He is going to be paid $15 mill next season, which is a lot of money for 48 catches 756 yards and 5 TD. That is solid production, but the other NFL players who are paid what he is, or more are much more productive players. Attached is the Over the cap list, based on the season that was just finished up.
                          WR salaries.png

The Charges have a fair amount of cap space, but it just depends on what they feel MW future is. Is he going to want to get paid like the $15 mill per season for his next deal, because that is a terrible deal for the Chargers, a huge bump up in a shrinking salary cap. Or will he be reasonable and go for a more market value amount?

Guyton and Johnson are the kind of players who add vertical stretch to our offense that we haven't had. Most teams are looking for guys with 4.3 speed. Even KC, who is the fastest WR group in the league. That kind of speed forces DB to sit back, align deeper and just be more hesitant. That opens up things for the players underneath. Guys like Allen, HH and Ekeler would all thrive with that kind of speed creating space between the underneath coverage and the deep defenders.

A lot of going to depend on how aggressive the team decides to be in FA. $15 mill is a lot of money to use towards some other positions if that is the route they want. But FA is always a poor way to spend money, so overpaying for MW modest production is one option, but if all depends on how reasonable he is going to be going forward, particuarly since he is the better player overall.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍