• chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Joe Lombardi is the Chargers Offensive Coordinator

From NFL dot com -
    Perhaps the biggest voice in Justin Herbert's ear moving forward has been decided.

Joe Lombardi, who's spent the past five seasons coaching quarterbacks for the Saints, has agreed to terms with the Chargers to be their offensive coordinator, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!
  • SuperCharged
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Utah
    • Midnight Toker
    • Send PM

I think he may be solid. Better than Steichen.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
      Fluent in Sarcasm
      • Jun 2013
      • Iowa
      • Man of the People
      • Send PM

Here’s to hoping. Obviously didn’t turn out well his first time as OC but the Saints were a much different team his second stint with them. His first time as QB coach was prime Brees whereas his last stint he’s had to develop QBs in Hill, Bridgewater, and Winston while trying to extend Brees’ career as long as possible. Hopefully that and his previous OC experience has helped develop him.

Staley has said that he plans on taking a hand in developing an offense so that should our OC leave for another job there can be offensive consistency (citing the template of defensive guys like BB, Parcells, Dungy, etc...) so hopefully the development of this offense fully takes advantage of what we have in Herbert. Lombardi does have a lot more experience tailoring offenses to a QB this time around so here’s hoping.

Even with glass half full this isn’t a hire that has everyone jumping with joy, but hey at least we all know Staley wasn’t forced into any staff decisions as ‘reported’. Hopefully this puts the end to that tired argument for now.

Comment

• Silversurfer
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Los Angeles
        • Send PM

Hope he can make J.H that much better. The end of predictable offense and run run pass.

Comment

• Classic
          Hall Of Fame
          • Dec 2014
          • Send PM

He'll have to improve from his days in Detroit or this a bad hire.

Comment

• Lyth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2018
            • Send PM

Payton prepares for everything. Hopefully Lombardi has picked up on that and he'll have the situational game plan ready to go on Sunday.

Comment

• Blastttoff
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2020
              • Send PM

Predictable, conservative and not innovative. Terrible choice. You should not be ranked 27th in offense if you have stafford, megatron, bush and Ebron, I don’t care if it’s your first stint as a coach.

Comment

• screeme18
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                He'll have to improve from his days in Detroit or this a bad hire.
                My only real reservation. But one can learn from their mistakes, and he's spent a lot of time with a very good offense in NO. So, he just may be a better coach now than he was then.

I'm sure Staley talked to him About his time in Detroit in interviews.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Lombardi played his college ball at the United States Air Force Academy (1994), as a Tight End. He also lettered in Lacrosse. He was a volunteer coach at Dayton during his last two years on active duty. (1996-1998)

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                    Fluent in Sarcasm
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Iowa
                    • Man of the People
                    • Send PM

For some perspective Daboll’s first 4 years as OC his offenses were ranked 29th, 31st, 20th, and 32nd. With the Bills he’s gone 30th, 23rd, and then 2nd this year. Everyone was fine with him bringing in his offense. While there is a talent disparity between those teams and the Lions team Lombardi was on there’s also a lack of success with Daboll over a much larger body of work. Lombardi has had a lot of time to study with one of the best offensive minds in football while Daboll has spent most of his career around defensive minded HCs.

I’m not super excited by this hire but if you’re willing to give Daboll a chance running this offense I don’t think it’s out of hand to say you should be able to give Lombardi a chance.

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

I thought we should consider an OC whom would be a career OC. This guy checks that box.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                        Outback Goon
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Australia
                        • Send PM

I like what he did with Bridgewater/Winston/Hill

Hope he learned alot from Payton and applies it here. Good Luck Coach

Comment

Working...
                        X