New Direction In Coaching Hires. Anyone Else Surprised?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

New Direction In Coaching Hires. Anyone Else Surprised?

These new coaching hires are unprecedented for a Charger team under the Spanos' regime. Talk about a radical shift in their usual MO, wow. I'd almost call it a daring experiment/gamble. I never thought of the Spanos' as the type of owners to invest in a youth movement to this extent, at least as far as age and NFL experience goes. In a way, it's a relief from their conservative approach of hiring older well established NFL coaches and maintaining a status quo. No doubt Herbert's phenomenal success was a real eye opener to them. I never imagined they could go this "new" with so many key coaching positions, most with less than five years of NFL coaching experience. A somewhat radical departure from years past. Heh..."Do Something different !" They sure have.
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

It makes a great recipe for prolonged success. Hope the ingredients gel

Comment

• Caslon
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
      It makes a great recipe for prolonged success. Hope the ingredients gel
      So much pilfering happens with successful hires. Teams rarely if ever lock down their coaching staffs when first hired because they could be a bust.

Comment

• CivilBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

So much pilfering happens with successful hires. Teams rarely if ever lock down their coaching staffs when first hired because they could be a bust.
        Yup, sometimes everything looks good on paper then you get to the real games and it flops. I’m crossing my fingers on this one. BTW, I was really high on Patricia when he was available. I can’t believe Lynn did a way better job than him even with the recent fiasco.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Not so sure about the Joe Lombardi hire. Having a legendary grandpa is not a qualification and he hasn't received much interest outside of NOLa. He's been there since 2007 save a brief stint in Detroit as OC for not even two seasons in 2014-15 and that didn't go well. We'll see.

Comment

• WindsorUK
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Windsor, U.K.
            • Send PM

Maybe TT KNOWS this is his last chance? Maybe he's wanted to do this since he got here? Maybe he was scared of losing his job if he didn't do what the boss told him to do? Now he doesn't give a s**t because he understands this is his last coaching hire?
            I'm just spit-balling but it I do like the infusion of new blood. And even though the game and the way it's played has changed a great deal over the past 7-10 years, you still need the basics- run, catch and tackle.
            Here's hoping the young bucks are well versed in both old, and new, school football.
            I'm really looking forward to how they gel.
            Go Bolts!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
              Maybe TT KNOWS this is his last chance? Maybe he's wanted to do this since he got here? Maybe he was scared of losing his job if he didn't do what the boss told him to do? Now he doesn't give a s**t because he understands this is his last coaching hire?
              I'm just spit-balling but it I do like the infusion of new blood. And even though the game and the way it's played has changed a great deal over the past 7-10 years, you still need the basics- run, catch and tackle.
              Here's hoping the young bucks are well versed in both old, and new, school football.
              I'm really looking forward to how they gel.
              Go Bolts!
              I like the fact that he seems to know what he wants and is doing

I like the fact that he picked two black coordinators. It needs to be said, there is a new policy in place and if you are not taking advantage of it - another team will. And I don't want to hear this s**t about hire the best candidates. Just look at the Eagles - Nick Sirianni hired three dudes that looked exactly like him. My guess, there were other candidates but he felt most comfortable with those guys

So I am glad Staley talked it and walked it - hired some hopefully good young coaches and my hope is they do so well - in a couple years they are being interviewed for jobs.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Definitely surprising. To me the biggest thing is hearing a HC talk about all 3 phases of the game consistently. You ask him a question about defense and he brings up the offense and special teams, ask about the offense and he talks about the importance of understanding the defense. He seems to actually understand the role of the HC to make a complete team not just get the most out of 1 phase. Hopefully his coordinator hires share in that conviction and we see a complete team effort on Sundays. No more wondering which unit is going to let down the other 2.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                  Definitely surprising. To me the biggest thing is hearing a HC talk about all 3 phases of the game consistently. You ask him a question about defense and he brings up the offense and special teams, ask about the offense and he talks about the importance of understanding the defense. He seems to actually understand the role of the HC to make a complete team not just get the most out of 1 phase. Hopefully his coordinator hires share in that conviction and we see a complete team effort on Sundays. No more wondering which unit is going to let down the other 2.
                  I read yesterday that he spent a summer with the Saints - Payton, Lombardi, Brees - back in 2009. He wanted to learn more about offense to be a better DC. So there is no doubt STaley seems to have wanted a knowledge of all aspects of the game to help him in his role as a DC.

Not to compare him to Hoodie but many coaches have said Hoodie can coach every position on the team. Not saying Staley can do that - but it is kind of nice that he seems to be more about defense and designing the "newest 46 or Tampa 2" and let the OC handle the offense. He is the head damn ball coach - coach the entire team.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Yup, sometimes everything looks good on paper then you get to the real games and it flops. I’m crossing my fingers on this one. BTW, I was really high on Patricia when he was available. I can’t believe Lynn did a way better job than him even with the recent fiasco.
                    Me too! Shows you how dumb I am.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I read yesterday that he spent a summer with the Saints - Payton, Lombardi, Brees - back in 2009. He wanted to learn more about offense to be a better DC. So there is no doubt STaley seems to have wanted a knowledge of all aspects of the game to help him in his role as a DC.

Not to compare him to Hoodie but many coaches have said Hoodie can coach every position on the team. Not saying Staley can do that - but it is kind of nice that he seems to be more about defense and designing the "newest 46 or Tampa 2" and let the OC handle the offense. He is the head damn ball coach - coach the entire team.
                      I read that, too. And he said the amount of time spent on the details of quarterbacking between Lombardi and Brees and his backups had a profound impact on him.
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

I read that, too. And he said the amount of time spent on the details of quarterbacking between Lombardi and Brees and his backups had a profound impact on him.
                        Impressive first week. I hope he and Telesco are able to develop a rapport in terms of getting the right players. I know John Boy is in the room too but maybe this person will be his best partner and they truly are on the same page as far as players needed.

Comment

Working...
                        X