Are The Chargers Switching To A 3-4 Defense?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xthren
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2021
    • Send PM

Are The Chargers Switching To A 3-4 Defense?

So the Chargers have been playing a 4-3 under Bradley and looks like Staley is a 3-4 coach. I am more familiar with a 4-3 what is needed personnel-wise to make this transition?

• 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

better players
    Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Xenos
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

I don’t think we’re transitioning to a traditional 3-4. The Rams didn’t even run that last year.

Comment

• PR#1
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

I understand you need a 340 lb NT who can take on 2 blockers.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

I dont think we will be running anything "traditional" next year. It will be a hybrid 3-4 in name only if it is that. It will be probably 3-4 for 20-30 percent of the time. The Rams I understand ran a 5-2 a lot last year as well. I did not watch a lot of them to know for sure although that is what I understand it to be.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Yes. Vic Fangio says the system Brandon was running with the Rams was verbatim to the system they both ran in Chicago in 2018. That was a 3-4 OVER. Which, IMO, was the best defense I'd seen since the 1985 Bears.

Also 5-2-5, but mainly the base defense will be a four or five man defensive front, built around the Eagle Front. The team will also be showing different pre-snap reads, disguising their coverages.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xthren View Post
              So the Chargers have been playing a 4-3 under Bradley and looks like Staley is a 3-4 coach. I am more familiar with a 4-3 what is needed personnel-wise to make this transition?

These two videos are an excellent primer on the concepts Coach Staley will be adapting to the Chargers. But, the biggest concept, is the 5-man front.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                Yes. Vic Fangio says the system Brandon was running with the Rams was verbatim to the system they both ran in Chicago in 2018. That was a 3-4 OVER. Which, IMO, was the best defense I'd seen since the 1985 Bears.

Also 5-2-5, but mainly the base defense will be a four or five man defensive front, built around the Eagle Front. The team will also be showing different pre-snap reads, disguising their coverages.
                5-2-5 would be an advantage indeed as it would give us 12 men on the field.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

The Rams were already a 3-4 defense before Staley was their DC.

Bosa is most effective taking on OTs and with his hands on the ground where his explosiveness can be exploited. I prefer staying in the 4-3. Staley can adapt to what is already there.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

The Rams were already a 3-4 defense before Staley was their DC.

Bosa is most effective taking on OTs and with his hands on the ground where his explosiveness can be exploited. I prefer staying in the 4-3. Staley can adapt to what is already there.
                    Pretty confident you're going to like the results on the field. This is better team-defense, from discipline and gap-integrity standpoint.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

That sub package would have to be a 5-2-4 or you going to get a penalty for too many men on the field.
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                        Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Palm Springs
                        • I know nothing
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
                        5-2-5 would be an advantage indeed as it would give us 12 men on the field.
                        Spit my beer there!

Comment

Working...
                        X