• Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Rivers To Retire a Charger

I thought this was interesting and very fitting. I am very glad this will happen.

On Tuesday, former Chargers center Nick Hardwick dropped the latest episode of his new podcast, The HardwickLIFE Podcast over on the Bleav Podcast Network, and fans may want to listen in to hear a familiar voice.
    Longtime quarterback Philip Rivers joined Hardwick’s show to discuss the decision to retire from the NFL following the 2020 season and begin his coaching career at the high school level at St. Michaels in Alabama.
    But the biggest news dropped on the podcast, while still being both exciting and expected, is that Philip Rivers plans to retire a Charger.
    “I was able to have a great conversation with John Spanos and (I was) certainly thankful for my time there...he and I had a great visit and I’m looking forward to retiring a Charger when the time is right. So, obviously that will come when the new league year comes.”
    Rivers made sure to speak about the San Diego community and to highlight just how much that fan base meant to him during the majority of his career. It’s unknown whether or not that Rivers will do something specific for both cities, but I would be vehemently surprised if he didn’t go out of his way to thank his former community in some way, shape, or form.
    After the first season in almost two decades where Philip Rivers wasn’t at or near the front of the fan base’s minds during the season, it’s incredibly refreshing to hear all of these words coming from PR17’s mouth.
    I cannot wait to see him donning the Bolt one last time before he rides off into the sunset.

• PR#1
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Very grateful that the Chargers are allowing him to do this.

It will be great to see him wear the Bolts one last time

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I didn't expect otherwise. Does anyone really attach the Chargers to Johnny Unitas, or John Mackey, or Deacon Jones?

Comment

• SBbound
        Casual fanatic
        • Feb 2019
        • Merced/San Diego
        • Send PM

Terrific interview and great story telling. A must listen.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
          I didn't expect otherwise. Does anyone really attach the Chargers to Johnny Unitas, or John Mackey, or Deacon Jones?
          With the Spanos you can never assume they make the right decision, especially in a PR (public relations, not Philip Rivers) situation.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

With the Spanos you can never assume they make the right decision, especially in a PR (public relations, not Philip Rivers) situation.
            I think they’ve done right with more of the iconic players like LT, Seau, and most recently Gates.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I think they’ve done right with more of the iconic players like LT, Seau, and most recently Gates.
              Absolutely they have. Even with Fouts, who is not the easiest guy to get along with. Appears he is mellowing with age, but for you younger guys, he was a piece of work. Great QB. Fierce competitor. Tough player. Not so nice off the field.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I agree with you. I am just saying they have an even longer track record of not always doing the right thing.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

as it should be
                  kudos to the Rivers and the Spanos
                  Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I agree with you. I am just saying they have an even longer track record of not always doing the right thing.
                    It also all depends on how the player left the organization IMO. But I also think Dean and John are less likely to hold grudges like Alex did.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Absolutely they have. Even with Fouts, who is not the easiest guy to get along with. Appears he is mellowing with age, but for you younger guys, he was a piece of work. Great QB. Fierce competitor. Tough player. Not so nice off the field.

TG
                      MFIC
                      Dan Fouts

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

MFIC
                        Dan Fouts

He hasn't filed retirement papers yet - if they have the PS thing again where you can hide a few players... just sayin'''

Comment

Working...
                        X