Fouts-Joiner-Winslow or Mahomes-Hill-Kelce ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

I agree that Mahomes can do things I have never seen any other QB do. We'll see how he holds up over the long term - I'm not sure with the way he runs around and extend plays that he isn't going to get a major injury or two in his career. Kelce is a great TE, but Winslow is the best TE I have ever seen (sorry Gates) and that was in the era where he was mauled and mugged on every play. Bolt4Knob brings up a good point about JJ - he could do everything as a WR. He did not have Hill's pure speed, but JJ had the best hands and body control I have seen.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      I agree that Mahomes can do things I have never seen any other QB do. We'll see how he holds up over the long term - I'm not sure with the way he runs around and extend plays that he isn't going to get a major injury or two in his career. Kelce is a great TE, but Winslow is the best TE I have ever seen (sorry Gates) and that was in the era where he was mauled and mugged on every play. Bolt4Knob brings up a good point about JJ - he could do everything as a WR. He did not have Hill's pure speed, but JJ had the best hands and body control I have seen.
      these analysts today bring up great WRs and a lot of times its like Calvin Johnson would run down the field and catch the ball because he was bigger and faster. john jefferson for those few years was a unique talent who was a better WR than many that played today who are labeled "great." . i get why he is not in the Hall of Fame but that doesn't make them better pure football players when JJ was at his prime

I am not trying to be the old guy stuck in football from years gone by - but Winslow at the time was the biggest/fastest TE and he was not allowed to hand fight against defenders like TEs get away with today - combined with they could mug him.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
        You left out the best PURE football player in the bunch - save maybe Mahomes
        John Jefferson.

Maybe its time or his playing only a few years but that guy was the best PURE WR I have seen - granted it was three years. Dude was incredible those few years with Fouts

So for me its Fouts, Winslow and Jefferson. And when Travis Kelce gets called for as many OPIs as Winslow does - then we can talk. Winslow got more OPIs than any TE based on his size/speed for the day.
        J. Jefferson was already gone when I started to watch Chargers games.
        In 1981-82, Fouts launched to C. Joiner and W. Chandler. If my memory is correct.
        Was it a trade with GB ?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

J. Jefferson was already gone when I started to watch Chargers games.
          In 1981-82, Fouts launched to C. Joiner and W. Chandler. If my memory is correct.
          Was it a trade with GB ?
          Yep - he held out of training camp and the owner Eugene Klein traded him to Green Bay and never was the same. Lack of QB, maybe he got hurt. But what a player. It was amazing the trade with the Saints to get Wes Chandler to replace John Jefferson. Wes Chandler was a very good WR for those Chargers teams.

Comment

• bartman83642
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Yep - he held out of training camp and the owner Eugene Klein traded him to Green Bay and never was the same. Lack of QB, maybe he got hurt. But what a player. It was amazing the trade with the Saints to get Wes Chandler to replace John Jefferson. Wes Chandler was a very good WR for those Chargers teams.
            Yeah, when he went to GB he went to a primarily rushing team. OK QB in Lynn Dickey but was stuck in an older school offense and also already had a future HOF player at receiver in James Lofton. He was the primary guy and Jefferson was mostly an afterthought to their offense.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

Can you tell me more about that trade with the Saints ?
              In 1983, when it was time to find a name for our dog, I hesitated between Wes and Charlie.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Can you tell me more about that trade with the Saints ?
                In 1983, when it was time to find a name for our dog, I hesitated between Wes and Charlie.
                As part of the Green Bay trade - the Chargers got a WR named Audra Thompson (or something like that). Chargers got back draft picks for Jefferson too
                I believe the Chargers sent Thompson and a future FRP for Chandler

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Hard to beat the Air Coryell offense. Two of the receivers, Charlie and Winslow are in the HOF. Wes Chandler was both fast and elusive - he left a few jock straps on the field as he juked people. Wes put up nearly 9,000 yds in his 10 years and scored 56 TD's. Wes should be in the HOF too - he was that good!

JJ was a guy that was making one handed, fingertip catches when no one else was. He also was a great teammate - all smiles and he had fun all game long. The Air Coryell teams also had great olines.

I still think Winslow was the best TE I ever saw. He probably should have been a LB because he loved to punish people. He was only a TE until he caught the ball, then he was a big LB looking for someone to put a hurt on.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                    Hard to beat the Air Coryell offense. Two of the receivers, Charlie and Winslow are in the HOF. Wes Chandler was both fast and elusive - he left a few jock straps on the field as he juked people. Wes put up nearly 9,000 yds in his 10 years and scored 56 TD's. Wes should be in the HOF too - he was that good!

JJ was a guy that was making one handed, fingertip catches when no one else was. He also was a great teammate - all smiles and he had fun all game long. The Air Coryell teams also had great olines.

I still think Winslow was the best TE I ever saw. He probably should have been a LB because he loved to punish people. He was only a TE until he caught the ball, then he was a big LB looking for someone to put a hurt on.
                    I am a partisan charger fan - I will admit it. But I am not sure any TE had more Offensive PI than Winslow. He would go down the field - hand fighting, he was called more often than not. I think it was just his size and speed for the day

Comment

• WindsorUK
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Windsor, U.K.
                      • Send PM

JJ had 36( THIRTY SIX!!!!) TD's in 3 years with Fouts!
                      Are you kidding me????
                      JJ could run circles around these guys today.
                      You guys are right, best receiver we ever had. Shame Klein was such an asshole otherwise JJ would be touted as one of the best ever.
                      San Diego Super Chargers.......CHARGE!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                        JJ had 36( THIRTY SIX!!!!) TD's in 3 years with Fouts!
                        Are you kidding me????
                        JJ could run circles around these guys today.
                        You guys are right, best receiver we ever had. Shame Klein was such an asshole otherwise JJ would be touted as one of the best ever.
                        San Diego Super Chargers.......CHARGE!
                        I am biased but he is the best pure WR I have seen those few years. Rice has the numbers; others have the number. but JJ was truly a unique talent

So was Kellen Winslow

Comment

• bartman83642
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

I am biased but he is the best pure WR I have seen those few years. Rice has the numbers; others have the number. but JJ was truly a unique talent

So was Kellen Winslow
                          Yeah, he was pretty awesome. Found some highlights for those who didn't get a chance to see him play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGBWv6q7O1Q

No gloves for him back then. Don't know if he used stickum or not.

Comment

Working...
                          X