Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Depends who he drafts. Id prefer he stop getting advice from his ND informant but had he drafted Claypool nobody would have negative feelings. Trank has been pretty decent though he got hurt and missed all last year and Rochell has been a decent 7th rounder but he has too many misses on higher selections like Te'o and Tillery.
    Remember Watt too. 3rd round OL whiff if i remember........

Comment

• La Costa Boy
      • Sep 2018
      • JoJa
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post

I'm hoping we don't draft anyone under 300lbs in the first 3 rounds. I get it if some CB falls way out of what TT's board says, but I hope that means our 4th pick is line too.
      That would be 4 OL or DL or a combination of both in rounds 1 - 3 (or 4). I cannot see Tommy T doing that even if the board or logic falls that way. He will surprise us at some point. CB, WR even LB. Somebody he values will fall and he will pounce. Let's just hope it's a hit and not another WHIFF!

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2020
        • Send PM

13. Los Angeles Chargers —
        Team Needs: Tier 1 OT, IOL, CB | Tier 2 EDGE, LB, TE, WR | Tier 3 RB, IDL, S

The Pick:CB PATRICK SURTAIN II, ALABAMA
        Analysis: No offensive tackle at No. 13 overall? Not in this mock draft.

The Chargers do have an on-paper need at left tackle, but it’s too early to write off 2019 third-rounder Trey Pipkins in that role. He was drafted as a developmental player and entering Year 3 should be given a chance to prove himself in that role.

Filling the need at offensive tackle through free agency or (best case scenario) through the development of Pipkins opens the door for the Los Angeles Chargers to address other, equally as large needs on the roster in Round 1.

Need plus value is an ideal situation for the first round, and that’s what Alabama cornerback Patrick Surtain II brings to the table.

A match-up man coverage cornerback who has played all over the Crimson Tide secondary, Surtain has the size (6’2”, 203 lbs), physicality and football IQ to excel on an island at the NFL level. His press skills are the best in the class and his ability to play outside, inside or even safety should intrigue fans as he can be another match-up weapon in a defense full of them.

47. Los Angeles Chargers
        The Pick: OG Wyatt Davis, Ohio State
        Previous Pick: CB

Those first two picks mocked to the Chargers are not bad at all.. I considered Wyatt Davis as a potential first rounder. Listed is an interesting article from Pro Football Network.. Wyatt Davis, OG, Ohio State - NFL Draft Player Profile.

Wyatt Davis is a fun player to watch, in part because he packs so much potential energy into a frame that doesn’t have many dominant measurements.

I’ve used the term “potential energy” a few times in my draft evaluations, so I’ll explain what it means here. For an offensive lineman, it’s actually quite simple. With how much explosiveness can you move? How much power can you exert? There are, of course, leverage aspects that allow linemen to better channel these traits. But having the potential energy in the first place makes that transfer that much easier.

You’ll be pleased to hear that Wyatt Davis has that potential energy. Some teams might like their guards a bit taller, but Davis checks most of the boxes aside from that.

He’s a wide, dense blocker with decent length, and he moves well for his size. He has an explosive first step as a run defender, and he actively turns his hips to assure maximum leverage against defenders trying to pierce the line. He also has a great deal of natural power to shell out on each play.

Davis is fairly loose with both his hips and his upper body, and this shows up in pass protection as well. Davis plays with enough balance to maintain blocks even against long-armed rushers. Additionally, when searching for work, his eyes are active, and he has enough fluidity in short spaces to help other blockers in a timely fashion.

On top of this, Davis has good hands when blocking one-on-one, and his heavy, powerful punches come with good quickness. Furthermore, his intrinsic leverage allows him to play lower than most.

What are the potential holes in Wyatt Davis’ game?

Off the top, there aren’t many flaws with Wyatt Davis. There are areas where he can carry more polish in his game. However, that’s to be expected from most young linemen, and Davis displays a functional understanding of leverage, timing, and hand placement, which helps to give him a high floor in this area.

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Rather go Slater and then Wyatt.TT has to face the truth.Pipkens sucks and his whole o line is an abomination.Man up,admit your clueless as to how to build trenches and ask for outside help.Fix the Lines TT.

Comment

• Boltgang74
            We Are The Storm!
            • Aug 2018
            • Send PM

Just look at PFF's o line rankings for last season.Telesco's shit o line is 32nd????That right there is a firable offense.Dude is lost when it comes to building the lines and needs help with it or help out the damn door.Paaaathetic.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
              Rather go Slater ans then Wyatt.TT has to face the truth.Pipkens sucks and his whole o line is an abomination.Man up,admit your clueless as to how to build trenches and ask for outside help.Fix the Lines TT.
              I cannot disagree with you there. CB is a premium position and unfortunately, a PON for the Chargers as well, but not more so than OT. The more I read on Slater, the more it makes sense to grab him at 13 if he is still available.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

I cannot disagree with you there. CB is a premium position and unfortunately, a PON for the Chargers as well, but not more so than OT. The more I read on Slater, the more it makes sense to grab him at 13 if he is still available.
                I could live with a similar deal like we did last year. Move up into the bottom of the first again if we have to take a tackle we like. Take one of the teo best corners and then burn a third to move up again from the second round. Maybe even burn two thirds with one next year as well.

:beer:
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lyth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

That would be 4 OL or DL or a combination of both in rounds 1 - 3 (or 4). I cannot see Tommy T doing that even if the board or logic falls that way. He will surprise us at some point. CB, WR even LB. Somebody he values will fall and he will pounce. Let's just hope it's a hit and not another WHIFF!
                  I'm usually good with BPA in normal situations. I don't think we're in one of those. We have one of the worst position groups in the league. We're not 1-2 players away from average. We probably need 4. My fear is that he sees a shiney object in Rd 1 and misses out on the top tier of OTs.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                    • Sep 2018
                    • JoJa
                    • Send PM

I'm usually good with BPA in normal situations. I don't think we're in one of those. We have one of the worst position groups in the league. We're not 1-2 players away from average. We probably need 4. My fear is that he sees a shiney object in Rd 1 and misses out on the top tier of OTs.
                    As we know TT, that is a valid fear

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

I agree with what you said and I also fear that Telesco thinks the Young Phenom QB needs more weapons around him like a Waddle or Pitts. When it all reality, the OL needs a major overhaul, 3 if not 4 new players so unless the pick is like Front 7 Edge (DE or LB type ) or CB - the pick HAS to be OL.

And I think, and many others on this board think - a very good OL will help Herbert and the team more than Waddle or Pitts.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I agree with what you said and I also fear that Telesco thinks the Young Phenom QB needs more weapons around him like a Waddle or Pitts. When it all reality, the OL needs a major overhaul, 3 if not 4 new players so unless the pick is like Front 7 Edge (DE or LB type ) or CB - the pick HAS to be OL.

And I think, and many others on this board think - a very good OL will help Herbert and the team more than Waddle or Pitts.
                        Yup, more like help him not get injured. There were too many plays last year our OL got beat so badly the defenders were in the backfield the moment the ball was snapped.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I favor OL but respect Staley's input. If Telesco or Spanos just bulldoze the HC's priorities, we're screwed anyway.
                          FA decisions have to come 1st and will impact PON perspective.
                          Draft pick eval should include Staley & assistants. How a player fits what the coach envisions for the rest of the team has to be included.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍