POLL: If Farley Or Surtain Are There At #13, What Do We Do?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

POLL: If Farley Or Surtain Are There At #13, What Do We Do?

The value of a top-shelf shutdown corner who can man up on the opposing wideout, cannot be underestimated. If either Caleb Farley or Patrick Surtain are there at #13, what should we do? I for one would like us to bolster our O-line, but what if we can have our cake and eat it too? Choose the best course of action!
    Take Farley or Surtain at #13 and don't trade away any more picks
    29.41%
    Take Farley or Surtain at #13, then trade back into the end of round 1 for O-line
    11.76%
    Take the best O-lineman at #13 and don't trade away any more picks
    17.65%
    Take BPA, whether it's O-line, corner, D-line, any position
    38.24%
    Trade down for more picks
    2.94%
    Other--see my answer
    0%
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

I voted to pick Farley or Surtain at #13, then trade back into round 1 for O-line. As I've mentioned in other threads, we do have an extra 3rd rounder, (#97) so we could package #47 and #77, together worth around 635 points, to trade up with a team like Green Bay or Buffalo at the end of round 1 to snag our OT before he's gone...I have a feeling there's gonna be a run on OT's, especially LOT's, by the end of round 1 or early round 2...

chart 2.JPG

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

I will answer your question with the assumption that
      Mike Davis is back; Harris or Hayward are back (or Hayward released and a veteran is signed for cheaper but still not yoru long term CB)-- there still is a need for drafting CB no matter what

and

OL has been addressed in Free Agency but not OT just your guard and center.
      than at 13 I still think you cannot pick OT just to pick OT so if the CBs are there and they are the highest rank - no brainer
      The tricky part will be if OT is not there, CBs are gone - do they reach for an OT or take like the best WR .

with respect to trading back - big no. Chargers have too many needs: OL, OL, CB, DL, Front 7 - they have five picks in four rounds. Be smart

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
        Mike Davis is back; Harris or Hayward are back (or Hayward released and a veteran is signed for cheaper but still not yoru long term CB)-- there still is a need for drafting CB no matter what

and

than at 13 I still think you cannot pick OT just to pick OT so if the CBs are there and they are the highest rank - no brainer
        The tricky part will be if OT is not there, CBs are gone - do they reach for an OT or take like the best WR .

with respect to trading back - big no. Chargers have too many needs: OL, OL, CB, DL, Front 7 - they have five picks in four rounds. Be smart
        I'm guessing the Bolts let Hayward go, but keep Davis. Chris Harris was really inconsistent, so NCB may be another area of need, depending on how well Harris fits Staley's scheme. If the Bolts are able to sign a solid FA corner to replace Casey, fine, then probably go OT at #13. If they don't get a top shelf corner early though, corner now a big PON...my concern is that there seem to be SEVERAL OT's who are projected to "slide inside to G." Well, even though G is a PON, I don't want to draft an OT to play G...there are few top shelf OT's who will actually play LOT at a high level in the pros...hence the possible need to trade up into the end of round 1 for the LAST decent true LOT left on the board, before he's gone...
        Last edited by Topcat; 03-04-2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• bman6555
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

and

If that is the case (2 CBs, 2OTs, 4QBs, 3WRs, Pitts, Parsons are already gone which is 13 players taken and impossible) then someone has to have fallen and we may either take a premium to trade down from someone who wants that last player or their choice of DE. Either that or take the WR if they fall and see if we can deal Williams to get back in later in the first.

I still stand by my thoughts that the best OT fix is in FA, and then we are in the catbird seat to either get a top CB or a player who falls (like Derwin did a few years ago).

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'm guessing the Bolts let Hayward go, but keep Davis. Chris Harris was really inconsistent, so NCB may be another area of need, depending on how well Harris fits Staley's scheme. If the Bolts are able to sign a solid FA corner to replace Casey, fine, then probably go OT at #13. If they don't get a top shelf corner early though, corner now a big PON...my concern is that there seem to be SEVERAL OT's who are projected to "slide inside to G." Well, even though G is a PON, I don't want to draft an OT to play G...there are few top shelf OT's who will actually play LOT at a high level in the pros...hence the possible need to trade up into the end of round 1 for the LAST decent true LOT left on the board, before he's gone...
            Hell - if both were released I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Both will be 32 years old at the beginning of the season. Maybe one is back but bringing both back would be a mistake. So I think the Chargers need to go CB in the first few rounds so have no problem if Surtain or Fairley is the pick at 13. Would prefer OT but CB is a need - and that bringing back Michael Davis. The only way CB is not a need is if they sign Davis and another free agent like Shaquill Griffin (which seems unlikely)

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Oklahoma
              • Send PM

I'm only taking best O Lineman named Slater, otherwise trade down, if no trade down for an additional second take Farley if the sub 4.3 is true. On the fence with Surtain at 13, depends on testing.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Id take either Farley or Surtain at #13 but im not trading away picks to move up again. If Sewell,Slater, the CBs and Parson are gone, im trading down.
                11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

2005 - season pissed down the drain because the LT got injured (& the center was emaciated)
                  2010 - season pissed down the drain because the LT missed the first 4 - 5 games of the season on a holdout
                  2011 - season pissed down the drain when the LT went into fast decline
                  2012 - season pissed down the drain because the LT went AWOL
                  2014 - season pissed down the drain because of the revolving door at center
                  2019 - season pissed down the drain because of Okung's blood clots

Sure, other things were going on: but stability at LT would have been nice.

I can't think of a season were the incapacity at cb was the nail in the coffin.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
                    I'm only taking best O Lineman named Slater, otherwise trade down, if no trade down for an additional second take Farley if the sub 4.3 is true. On the fence with Surtain at 13, depends on testing.
                    On a mickey mouse stop watch does Farley run a sub 4.3

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                      2005 - season pissed down the drain because the LT got injured (& the center was emaciated)
                      2010 - season pissed down the drain because the LT missed the first 4 - 5 games of the season on a holdout

No Derwin James we ranked 23rd on defense. We lost a lot of close games so there is some correlation there. Getting Derwin back plus day one starter cb would take us into top ten defense easy. We're not talking about not taking a Oline person but most likely moving back into very bottom of round 1 again than over drafting at 13.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Sure, other things were going on: but stability at LT would have been nice.

What about all those times Hayward got burned for big gainers and TD's? Poor CB play definitely a factor in at least SOME of those losses...and BTW, agree with u that stability at LT is paramount...

Comment

Working...
                        X