• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

don't be so quick to trade away our day three picks.... Telesco's round 5 nugget:

Pro Wells TCU

A two-sport basketball/football standout from Dixie Hollins High School in Saint Petersburg, FL, Wells attended Northwest Mississippi JC before transferring as a JUCO to TCU prior to the 2018 season. A three-star prospect, he was rated as the fourth best JUCO tight end and 59th overall player in the nation.

He dipped his toes in the water getting acclimated to the collegiate level in 2018, maintaining his redshirt while still logging 14 snaps in four games. He broke out with an All-Big 12 worthy 2019, reeling in 17-of-28 passes for 196 yards, 61% catch rate, 11.5 YPC and five touchdowns.

He had issues with drops in 2019 however - posting 4 in 2` catch opportunities in 2019. But straightened out those issues by reeling in all 13 catchable pass opportunities this season, earning an excellent 82.3 hands grade from PFF for his 2020 showing. Ran 83% of routes from the slot, but was competent in pass protection when called upon, receiving pass block grades of 70.1 in 2019 and 73.1 in 2020 according to PFF.

In 2020 Wells improved his production across the board on a per-down basis, catching 13-of-20 passes for 195 yards, 65% catch rate, 15.0 YPC and three touchdowns while playing in 10 games for the Horned Frogs. His average target depth was an impressive 13.2 yards last year and 12.6 in 2019, showing he wasn’t just used as a check down option for TCU’s accuracy-challenged QB Max Duggan. He paid off those down field looks with big gains and acrobatic catches.

The stocky tight end showed out against good competition - vs. OU, he beat Delarrin Turner-Yell on a post before reeling in a nice catch and absorbing a heavy shot from converging S Justin Broiles who, despite a head of steam, bounced right off of the massive Wells allowing the Horned Frogs’ tight end to rumble for another 40 yards before finally being pulled down. This data point belies a greater trend of Wells being difficult to pull down, as he broke five tackles in only 13 tackles.

His 115.6 Passer Rating when targeted reflects his ability to make plays when called upon. In a more volume based passing attack, Wells would have turned more looks into greater production. However HC Gary Patterson’s system preferred to utilize Wells as an up-the seam weapon to deploy against smaller slot corners or slower linebackers when the matchup was favorable.

Wells has several upper echelon traits that standout out on film. His bull-like strength makes it difficult to bring him down once the ball is in his hands, while still possessing enough vertical to go up and get jump balls in the end zone and over the middle. His high school basketball tape is a sight to behold, as his multiple windmill dunk highlights foreshadow his ultra-athletic NFL profile. For perspective, eight of his 32 career catches went for touchdowns. Fast enough to stretch the field up the seam, while being stout enough to take a shot and still hold onto the ball.

Most NFL draft evaluators have Wells in the TE10-13 range, which is understandable given his lack of high volume usage. However I feel his upside and athleticism could vault him into fantasy relevance sooner rather than later, and for the very reasonable price of a fifth/sixth round selection.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-nfl-draft-tight-end-125519839.html
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Henry is certainly the better player. But as far as better use of the cap, we got a player who is almost as good on the stat sheet, and cost a whole lot less. Plus, if we want someone to teach Pardam the finer art of route running, Cook is much better at running himself open then Henry is. Cook isn't as good as Gates was, but he is that type of guy who creates separation by running the routes the way they need to be. Henry was an OK route runner, but he was a big step below the elite route runners and just doesn't get open to the degree that a guy like Gates or Cook does.

Anderson played 2 years (2016-2017) with Houston. He actually had a good receiving for them catching 25 passes for 342 yards for them as the 3rd TE in offense that used the TE a lot. He was sort of a Hback/Fullback type of guy for them, only his run blocking really dropped off as they expanded his role as a receiver and he got in O'Brien's doghouse. He was also on NE practice squad. He spent 2019 on our practice squad too. He did a good job catching for us, but he was really behind Henry, Green and Parham in the rotation, but when Green went down, and Parham not being much of a blocker, he found a niche and took advantage of the opportunity. As long as his blocking doesn't fall off again, I think he will make someone's roster as a backup TE who can actually contribute. He has the sort of short area quickness that Parham doesn't, so I think he is a decent compliment to Parham.

Parham is a guy who has some size, but is really built like VJ or Floyd, and is a long strider type of guy. Right now he is a receiver, who adds nothing in the running game, and that probably won't ever change dramatically given that his frame is more like a WR than a TE. He doesn't add much in the quick passing game because he takes time to build speed. But he is an athletic red zone target and has a great catch radius, I am not sure he is what you really want as a starting TE, but if you are willing to just use him as an offensive weapon, or as a 2nd TE who gets some real playing time, either in 2TE sets or just subbing in with another guy, he can be a decent player if he keeps developing.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Its weird to see the Tremble dislike due to his size....yet Anderson is even smaller. And our blocking TE. lol I guess its not impossible for a smaller TE to be able to block at the next level.

Just resigned by the way.

Chargers re-signed TE Stephen Anderson.

Anderson played 66% of his snaps on special teams last year, primarily serving as the team's blocking tight end. He'll be used as such again with both Jared Cook and Donald Parham available as pass catchers.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          Its weird to see the Tremble dislike due to his size....yet Anderson is even smaller. And our blocking TE. lol I guess its not impossible for a smaller TE to be able to block at the next level.

Just resigned by the way.

Chargers re-signed TE Stephen Anderson.

Anderson played 66% of his snaps on special teams last year, primarily serving as the team's blocking tight end. He'll be used as such again with both Jared Cook and Donald Parham available as pass catchers.
          It is strange. Tremble is about 6’4” - 245#-250#.

I like Luke Ferrell (OHST) and John Bates (BSU) as late day 3 TE that can block in both phases, ST help, and upside as receiving options.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

It is strange. Tremble is about 6’4” - 245#-250#.

I like Luke Ferrell (OHST) and John Bates (BSU) as late day 3 TE that can block in both phases, ST help, and upside as receiving options.
            I dont think finding a blocking type is difficult. And yeah later in the draft is the spot. I dont have that high of a grade on Tremble. Just that he is a devastating blocker and despite the fact he is a little smaller means nothing...just looking at a kids size is only a small part of the equation. Gotta look at the heart. The passion. The energy. The "want to" Kid has it. He wants to kill guys. I think it will translate.

And he just might add an element in the passing game. As well as FB. Add a little John Kuhn element to this offense. Maybe Tremble goes in the 3 range i dont know. Im taking him in the 5th in mocks.

I like those guys as well Ninja. Im not even remotely sweating the TE position. I wouldnt have minded Lee Smith.

Comment

• JOJAX85
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Irmo, SC
              • Send PM

Blocking is mostly a Want To skill. Got to have a little nasty to you. Forcing a guy to go somewhere he doesn't want to go takes some cajones. I always felt my blocking also helped me get open in the passing game as well. You keep hitting on them & they want to get away from you. Gives you a second to separate until they figure out it's a pass.

Comment

Working...
              X