• Show
Clear All
  • DragonIce
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2021
    • Arizona
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
    But now go back and look at the percentage of quality OL starters in R1 and compare it to any other round.
    If you want to play the percentage game you go for high floor players...or get more darts.

If we can't get Sewell/Slater I'd be a big fan of trading down and grabbing two tackles in the late 1st or second.

We don't need a generational tackle. We do need solid quality, depth and cohesion on the line.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

All that is true. Sometimes great players lay buried in day 3 rubble.

But now go back and look at the percentage of quality OL starters in R1 and compare it to any other round.

Point is that no one knows who those late-round gems actually are. If they did, they’d pick them on day 1, obviously.

But the odds of getting a quality player in the draft almost always corresponds to the round (ie. I’ve never seen a R2 with a higher % of quality players than R1).

Waiting until R4 to draft a tackle on the assumption you’ll find the next Bakhtiari is not only highly improbable, it’s outright ludicrous.
      I not saying wait, I'm saying don't force the #13 pick.
      I've also said trade up for Sewell because waiting can also happen at pick #13 as you are waiting to see who goes in front of you. And you don't get who you really want to add to the team.
      And the interesting thing about Bakhtiari is you can go back and look at scout report and some had him as high as a 2nd Rd pick and others stated he would be one of the safer picks in the draft because of he could start at tackle or start at guard. But for whatever reason he fell to the 4th. Like a Christensen-OT could this year. Probably one of the safer picks as he will likely become a very solid starter, but he isn't getting any hype.

And yes, I agree as you go farther into the draft the likelihood of getting a starter goes down. But drafting for PON is a bad idea at #13 or any rd. Take the BPA and live with the results.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
        And yes, I agree as you go farther into the draft the likelihood of getting a starter goes down. But drafting for PON is a bad idea at #13 or any rd. Take the BPA and live with the results.
        I agree about the whole not reaching for PON philosophy, but we’ve found ourselves in a special circumstance this year. We absolutely NEED a starting LT. There’s no way around it.

But somehow, by the grace of the football gods, we’ve met this unique circumstance in a draft year where there are at least 3 starting caliber LTs, and we hold an early pick.

Sewell > Slater > Darrisaw > Jenkins.

At least that’s the way I see it. The 1st two would be beyond our draft position in any other year—if either falls, sprint to the podium like Usain Bolt.

Darrisaw is an extremely fair value for #13, and he might be the best run blocker of the 3.

Jenkins at #13 is a semi-reach this year, but in any other year, where 5 QBs aren’t drafted in the top 10, he’d be a fair value. I don’t know why people question his right/left versatility. Like Slater, he’s proved to be great on both sides.
        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• UtahBolt
          Did we win?
          • Jun 2013
          • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Ya ya. Careless. Always risk vs. reward. I like this prospect enough that I see little risk.

My statement has nothing to do with pundits. My own prospect evaluation. He is the 2nd highest rated prospect I’ve graded through my system.
          My armchair GMing would be to make a move up with the offer I suggested/close to it.
          I too am a proponent of trading up for Sewell. As a Pac 12 fan, I have seen many of his games and I believe the guy is still growing/learning and the ceiling is very high for him. Plus, pairing him with JH just seems like the perfect fit. Just curious, what was your suggested offer?
          I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

I agree about the whole not reaching for PON philosophy, but we’ve found ourselves in a special circumstance this year. We absolutely NEED a starting LT. There’s no way around it.

But somehow, by the grace of the football gods, we’ve met this unique circumstance in a draft year where there are at least 3 starting caliber LTs, and we hold an early pick.

Sewell > Slater > Darrisaw > Jenkins.

At least that’s the way I see it. The 1st two would be beyond our draft position in any other year—if either falls, sprint to the podium like Usain Bolt.

Darrisaw is an extremely fair value for #13, and he might be the best run blocker of the 3.

Jenkins at #13 is a semi-reach this year, but in any other year, where 5 QBs aren’t drafted in the top 10, he’d be a fair value. I don’t know why people question his right/left versatility. Like Slater, he’s proved to be great on both sides.
            So, it may come down to Darrishaw vs. Jenkins...

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

If we wait to #47, we’re getting a developmental project for LT. he can bunk with Pipkins in camp.
              This is my concern...I want a LT starter @#13...either move up for Sewell, hope Slater falls to us, or take the best of Darrishaw and Jenkins...quit kicking the LT can down the road...

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post

I too am a proponent of trading up for Sewell. As a Pac 12 fan, I have seen many of his games and I believe the guy is still growing/learning and the ceiling is very high for him. Plus, pairing him with JH just seems like the perfect fit. Just curious, what was your suggested offer?
                For #4.......#13, #47, #198, plus 2022 (1st and 4th).
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• UtahBolt
                  Did we win?
                  • Jun 2013
                  • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                  • Send PM

^^ Steep. I guess I have PTSD from the Beathard days of trading away next year's first! I realize that may be what it takes though...
                  I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

For #4.......#13, #47, #198, plus 2022 (1st and 4th).
                    I’d rather just have Darrisaw and a solid CB at 43, plus keep all those other picks. Sewell is the best prospect but I agree with some who have noted the diminishing marginal return of the very best at LT vs very good. they don’t need SUPERMAN at LT to succeed, not if the cost is losing the ability to upgrade another 5 positions. they do need good. We’ve had a bottom 3 LT for several years, jumping up to even Top 10 LT would be a huge stabilizing upgrade.

I also think LAC run blocking may have been even worse than their pass pro. Darrisaw is a good run blocker
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

I’d rather just have Darrisaw and a solid CB at 43, plus keep all those other picks. Sewell is the best prospect but I agree with some who have noted the diminishing marginal return of the very best at LT vs very good. they don’t need SUPERMAN at LT to succeed, not if the cost is losing the ability to upgrade another 5 positions. they do need good. We’ve had a bottom 3 LT for several years, jumping up to even Top 10 LT would be a huge stabilizing upgrade.

I also think LAC run blocking may have been even worse than their pass pro. Darrisaw is a good run blocker
                      We all have differing opinions.
                      I value Sewell more than most.
                      I like the depth at CB as have 16 with starting caliber grades. More than 1 of which will be there in the 3rd round.
                      I am comfortable with a few of the other OT prospects at #13 but grade Penei as an ELITE IMPACT prospect at our biggest PON. The prospect and value matchup for me.
                      Will I commit seppuku if it doesn’t happen? No but will let Fleet pound his nuts with a hammer.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Indeed. I believe Tevi’s run blocking rating was even worse than his pass protection.
                        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Indeed. I believe Tevi’s run blocking rating was even worse than his pass protection.
                          I thought Tevi was actually a pretty decent run blocker, especially when pulling out. It was his pass pro that was poor at times, though he did seem to make a small improvement this past season at LT...

Comment

Working...
                          X