Clear All
  • Cdn Bolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Ontario , Canada
    • Send PM

2021 Draft Depth by Position

Draft Surplus by Position

I looked at the top 96 players (per Draftek rankings) and summed them for each position. These are the 'Available' by position. I then looked at the top needs for each team (could be up to 5 starter level needs for some teams) and summed them to get the "Need' total for the position. I then subtracted Available- Need to get a view of the depth for each position.

Lots of depth for OLB, S and RB. In shorter supply are : OT, EDGE ,TE and WR. Depends what the draft gives, but we may be better to grab an OT w the 1st. We already added some EDGE help so maybe a CB in rnd 2.

draft.png

Note: WRS - WR Slot, RBC - RB change of pace, F- Fullback
  • UtahBolt
    Did we win?
    • Jun 2013
    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
    • Send PM

Nice data, thanks!

Feels like all our needs are everyone else's needs as well...
    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Ontario , Canada
      • Send PM

Of the teams w needs at OT, CIN and NYG go before us so it is not so dire. We could get the #3 ranked OT. If we wait to round 2, we are getting the #9 or 10 OT.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Considering position and talent level,
        this draft is ultimately top heavy
        and tilted towards offense.
        You don't know ball

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
          Of the teams w needs at OT, CIN and NYG go before us so it is not so dire. We could get the #3 ranked OT. If we wait to round 2, we are getting the #9 or 10 OT.
          If we wait to #47, we’re getting a developmental project for LT. he can bunk with Pipkins in camp.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Ontario , Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

If we wait to #47, we’re getting a developmental project for LT. he can bunk with Pipkins in camp.
            Yes. That is what I meant by the 9th best which is really an OT very average.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

Yes. That is what I meant by the 9th best which is really an OT very average.
              well, it also depends on the player, the team, the system and how he develops as an NFL player.

In the 2013 draft when Chargers use 1st rd 11th overall to pick Fluker-OT
              .......the player who ended up the best Left Tackle went in Rd 4. D.Bakthtiari-OT, he was the 19th offensive lineman taken.

The following year C.Linsley-OC went in the 5th rd. He was the 30th offensive lineman taken.

​​In 2016,. J.Thuney went in Rd 3. Pick #78

In 2017 D.Dawkins went Rd 2. Pick #63

In 2018. O.Brown went Rd 3. Pick#83
              ​​
              ​​​I think a player like Hudson-OT could become a very good starter. Christensen-OT as well. A.Ealy-OT could also be a solid starter.
              And Borom-OT from Missouri could become a solid starter too.
              all of them will likely be a available in somewhere from the mid to late rds.

You don't have to go OT at #13 and force a pick.
              Take Jaycee Horn if available. He has #1 CB ability.
              Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Ontario , Canada
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

well, it also depends on the player, the team, the system and how he develops as an NFL player.

.......the player who ended up the best Left Tackle went in Rd 4. D.Bakthtiari-OT, he was the 19th offensive lineman taken.

The following year C.Linsley-OC went in the 5th rd. He was the 30th offensive lineman taken.

​​
                ​​​I think a player like Hudson-OT could become a very good starter. Christensen-OT as well. A.Ealy-OT could also be a solid starter.

We don't seem to have any such ability it seems but wish we did. Most of their picks except maybe Tevi didn't pan out. Other teams find gems in later rounds who do develop.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

​​

All that is true. Sometimes great players lay buried in day 3 rubble.

But now go back and look at the percentage of quality OL starters in R1 and compare it to any other round.

Point is that no one knows who those late-round gems actually are. If they did, they’d pick them on day 1, obviously.

But the odds of getting a quality player in the draft almost always corresponds to the round (ie. I’ve never seen a R2 with a higher % of quality players than R1).

Waiting until R4 to draft a tackle on the assumption you’ll find the next Bakhtiari is not only highly improbable, it’s outright ludicrous.
                  Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                    All that is true. Sometimes great players lay buried in day 3 rubble.

But now go back and look at the percentage of quality OL starters in R1 and compare it to any other round.

Point is that no one knows who those late-round gems actually are. If they did, they’d pick them on day 1, obviously.

But the odds of getting a quality player in the draft almost always corresponds to the round (ie. I’ve never seen a R2 with a higher % of quality players than R1).

Waiting until R4 to draft a tackle on the assumption you’ll find the next Bakhtiari is not only highly improbable, it’s outright ludicrous.
                    Well said.

Penei no matter what!
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Penei no matter what!
                      Well....I wouldn’t go that far.

Here’s a tale of caution:

Pundits trumpeted 2X Big Ten offensive lineman of the year Tony Mandarich as the best offensive tackle prospect ever. He was 6’6”, weighed 330, ran the 40 in 4.65 seconds, did a standing long jump of 10'3", leaped vertically 30", and bench-pressed 225 pounds an unheard-of 39 times.

Moral of the story: even the greatest of prospects carry bust potential. Personally, I wouldn’t mortgage my team’s future on anyone.

If the price is right, if the price is fair, then do it. But never sell your soul for an unproven commodity.

I don’t know what’s the right price for Penei, but let’s stay within reason.
                      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Well....I wouldn’t go that far.

Here’s a tale of caution:

Pundits trumpeted 2X Big Ten offensive lineman of the year Tony Mandarich as the best offensive tackle prospect ever. He was 6’6”, weighed 330, ran the 40 in 4.65 seconds, did a standing long jump of 10'3", leaped vertically 30", and bench-pressed 225 pounds an unheard-of 39 times.

Moral of the story: even the greatest of prospects carry bust potential. Personally, I wouldn’t mortgage my team’s future on anyone.

If the price is right, if the price is fair, then do it. But never sell your soul for an unproven commodity.

I don’t know what’s the right price for Penei, but let’s stay within reason.
                        Ya ya. Careless. Always risk vs. reward. I like this prospect enough that I see little risk.

My statement has nothing to do with pundits. My own prospect evaluation. He is the 2nd highest rated prospect I’ve graded through my system.
                        My armchair GMing would be to make a move up with the offer I suggested/close to it.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂