• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parcells
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think the school is paying for this one. Not sure though, can't see the City pitching in for an SDSU stadium and not a NFL stadium.

But no idea. Maybe they will be because of bowl games.
    The school? You mean the state school? That's funded by the taxpayers. One way or another, you guys are paying for the stadium. The Spanos family did plenty wrong, but the city of San Diego and the other cities in San Diego county blew it. Short of a magnanimous billionaire wanting to bring the NFL back to San Diego, the NFL is gone from San Diego. I grew up in San Diego, so I once called San Diego home. But the city and the state are terribly run.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

The video says it is a 35,000 seat stadium, so there is no way a major bowl is going to fit in there. Maybe some very minor, insignificant thing comes in, but nothing like the bowl games they used to have. They were only there because there was a major stadium. 35,000 isn't a major stadium, and it will probably lack a lot of the creature comforts that a new bowl game would expect. If they get it back to 55,000 ... maybe.

As far as the NFL going back to SD ... why???? It would just open up the same problems the Chargers had.

Even if a Billionaire was wanting to bring a team to SD, would the league let them? Part of being the owner and getting a move/franchise approved is having a business plan. But if it was so damn easy to find a way to finance the revenues to keep a team solvent in SD ... remembering that the advertising revenue from LA won't be there with 2 teams already up there ... it just seems like it is pretty unlikely, unless there is some big boom in So Cal that no one else is anticipating.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Here's what will be done with the site.

Private partnerships will fund the project. No taxpayer dollars, no tuition hikes.
        35,000 seat stadium. Can expand to 55,000.
        Retail space. 400-room hotel.
        Science labs. Hospitality facilities. Academic innovation center tied to engineering and hospitality departments.
        Dormitories for graduate students and faculty.
        Lots of open space.

SDSU Mission Valley will transform the San Diego Stadium site to support the university's academic, educational, and cultural mission.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Pretty excited to take a 10-minute trolley ride to the site once it's developed (2022). Can't wait to see an Aztecs game there.
          LA can keep the Chargers. I thought I would miss them more. I will miss tailgating with friends 2 or 3 times a year. I will miss going to training camp practices... that's about it.
          The site won't cost the city money anymore. And the land will serve the community better. And of course, it will look much nicer.
          In the end, it was a good deal for the city. And Spanos got what he wanted... a new stadium that he didn't have to pay for. Win/win.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

I don't live there anymore so I can only look at and recall all the great fun I had at that place. I had season tickets to the Aztecs and Chargers and we really enjoyed the Murph so it pains me to see it go. I watched that thing being built, I can still picture the big hole they dug for that stadium. I remember cruising down there on Sundays to see how it was progressing.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡