• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Memories of GM's past.

Just a tread for us old guys and young ones to that follow the off seasons.

Please post your stories of victory or defeat related to the drafts of the past in this week before the draft. I want your Bobby Bethard tails you AJ Smith rants what ever you got!

I was a Butler fan but AJ Smith wine me over. That said I was against the Rivers draft pick but didn't want Brees...

Go Rivers!
  • eaterfan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

I remember when we drafted Brees. I was so excited. My family was coming back from Spring break so I convinced them to listen to it on the radio. Each pick before it's was so nerve wracking.

I was against the Rivers pick, too. I preferred Eli or Big Ben if we went QB but wanted to stick with Brees. That being said, I think they made the right call. I think Rivers was a better QB than Brees. I'm not saying Rivers would have won a Superbowl if he had gone to New Orleans, but I am certain Brees wouldn't have won one with the Chargers.

The pick I remember being must upset about was English over Oher. I also didn't like trading up for Melvin Gordon. My favorite pick (at the time) was Keenan Allen in the third.

I'm far from perfect. I was really mad about Herbert over Simmons last year. Big mistake on my part.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
      Pretty much retired......
      • Sep 2018
      • JoJa
      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
      • Send PM

My fav was when we got Seau. My brother and I were at the Murph for the draft party. I remember when Tampa Bay and Ray Perkins went loyalty and took Keith McCants out of Alabama at 4. We were all on the edge of our seats for their pick and when "Keith" came out of the announcers mouth, the entire room exploded knowing that Junior had made it to 5.

It was electric...........

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

IMO, the best pick ever was LT. Butler passed on Vick and didn't get much for the 1st pick, but then hit it out of the park with Tomlinson. I didn't expect LT to be as good as he turned out to be.

Comment

• SuperCharged
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Utah
          • Midnight Toker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
          hat said I was against the Rivers draft pick but didn't want Brees...
          :lmao:

I hope this threads intent was to drum up some reverse mojo. Bad thoughts of years past. I prefer good ones. Like the LT, Brees draft. Back to back HOF picks. Don't get much better than that.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Stinky sighting. Hows the health brother?

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Oklahoma
              • Send PM

Thoughts on Johnnyy Sanders 1976-1986??? In name only, or did he have input with Coryell???
              This thread made me look it up, did not even know who the GM was at the time. Great idea for a thread.

Comment

• Rugger05
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Sadly the most excited I got during a Chargers draft is when the Colts were dumb enough to take the QB with the lower ceiling leaving the Chargers to draft the QB that would lead them to the promise land............

Comment

• chargers_22
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post
                  I was against the Rivers pick, too. I preferred Eli or Big Ben if we went QB but wanted to stick with Brees. That being said, I think they made the right call. I think Rivers was a better QB than Brees. I'm not saying Rivers would have won a Superbowl if he had gone to New Orleans, but I am certain Brees wouldn't have won one with the Chargers..

I have to say I wanted them to draft Larry Fitzgerald that year and was really pissed because I really liked Brees.. Nothing against Rivers... I gotta say Brees, LT, Gates and Fitzgerald on offense you have to think a few Super Bowl runs. Guess we would not have gotten Lights Out Merriman with he Giants #1 the next year though

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                    Stinky sighting. Hows the health brother?
                    I'm three years out since treatment! All's clear I'm beyond protocol! Only thing is I'm approaching linebacker size 6'2 233# but slow as molasses! Don't draft me!

Sirus had a great Buddy Nix interview this week if anyone can grab and link it! Said Dean like Big Ben but got the deal done with NY to trade Eli...
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post

I'm three years out since treatment! All's clear I'm beyond protocol! Only thing is I'm approaching linebacker size 6'2 233# but slow as molasses! Don't draft me!

Sirus had a great Buddy Nix interview this week if anyone can grab and link it! Said Dean like Big Ben but got the deal done with NY to trade Eli...
                      There is no way you are that big. lol Man i was worried when you looked to be around 135 pounds. I think it was the oversized TPB shirts at the Chiefs in KC game.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                        My fav was when we got Seau. My brother and I were at the Murph for the draft party. I remember when Tampa Bay and Ray Perkins went loyalty and took Keith McCants out of Alabama at 4. We were all on the edge of our seats for their pick and when "Keith" came out of the announcers mouth, the entire room exploded knowing that Junior had made it to 5.

It was electric...........
                        I was there too. As well as in 1987 when we took TE Rod Bernstine in the 1st when we had 3 quality TEs on the team already. Yeah, we boo’d that one.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞