• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Team Without A Power RB got to SB? - A RB Discussion

Some, but not many. I mean, come on. One of these drafts or FA. the Chargers really should get a bruiser RB for Ekeler. It’s a must. Successful teams have a small X factor RB as a complimentary running back, but not as their main. Charger’s are sort of goofey in this regard. Please, someone, have one in your mock draft. Preferably, a bowling ball Tolbert type, not a Murray or Jackson type with unknown potential. Any will do. Seriously, get one soon. A human cannonball like Ryan was.
    Last edited by Caslon; 04-25-2021, 02:19 PM.
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

Who is the chiefs power back?

Comment

• Caslon
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
      Who is the chiefs power back?
      Not sure, but he wasn’t a newly highly paid small X factor RB expected to be a cowbell. The Chargers tried that with Sproles, didn’t work out well. Sproles got ditched, went on to do fine on another team. I see the same thing happening with Ekeler unless this issue gets worked out right. Take that kind of pressure and expectation off Ekeler and watch what happens. Did TT miss one in FA? BTW, 2021 RB draft class. Not a lot of names worth remembering.
      Last edited by Caslon; 04-25-2021, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

LeSean McCoy started 9 games for KC in 2019.

Patriots won plenty with low price FA RBs.

Comment

• Caslon
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Get one of him type, Please, not some more later round RB’s.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
            Fluent in Sarcasm
            • Jun 2013
            • Iowa
            • Man of the People
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

Not sure, but he wasn’t a newly highly paid small X factor RB expected to be a cowbell. The Chargers tried that with Sproles, didn’t work out well. Sproles got ditched, went on to do fine on another team. I see the same thing happening with Ekeler unless this issue gets worked out right. Take that kind of pressure and expectation off Ekeler and watch what happens. Did TT miss one in FA? BTW, 2021 RB draft class. Not a lot of names worth remembering.
            I’m very confused. You’re asking about SB teams that got there without a power back. Fournette this year for TB is the closest thing to a power back in the last 3 SB and while he played much better in the playoffs he certainly isn’t the reason TB won it all. Blount for the Eagles is the most recent example of a power back for a SB team and his play isn’t what won the SB for them either. If you want a power back that’s all well and good, but it’s certainly not essential to getting to the SB.

Comment

• northerner
              Charger fan since '79
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

the later rounds sound like a good place to pick up a power back. a pass rush is 10x more important than a power back for getting through a playoff run in today's NFL.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

Or give Kelley another year and a better OL.

Comment

• Blastttoff
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2020
                  • Send PM

I really liked kellen ballage, but I guess the chargers brass didn’t. Oh well.

Comment

• Bolts&noles
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Ill post on this, trying to get 20.
                    I think chargers definitely need another running back.
                    I think Oline, CB need to be addressed early.
                    Other positions like DE also need help.
                    If there is a Bpa running back there in the third specially the second one ,I would take him.
                    Not necessarily a power back but definitely not a small back.
                    Last edited by Bolts&noles; 04-26-2021, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                      Some, but not many. I mean, come on. One of these drafts or FA. the Chargers really should get a bruiser RB for Ekeler. It’s a must. Successful teams have a small X factor RB as a complimentary running back, but not as their main. Charger’s are sort of goofey in this regard. Please, someone, have one in your mock draft. Preferably, a bowling ball Tolbert type, not a Murray or Jackson type with unknown potential. Any will do. Seriously, get one soon. A human cannonball like Ryan was.
                      McCoy is not a power runner. He is a good running back, but never particularly ran with that much power. He was a smallish RB too.

Ballage had excellent size, but is also not a very powerful runner. More of a ballad dancer type than a guy who enjoyed contact and ran behind his pads.

RB need to be able to do a lot more stuff than they used to, so you can't exactly waste a roster space on a guy unless you intend to give away that he is a runner only, and no potential in pass protection or as a receiver. Plus, most of the bigger, more powerful back are not very good on ST. They tend to fly downfield in coverage and run right past the return guy. And if you aren't good in pass protection, you probably have the wrong makeup to be on ST in the first place. And you can't be a backup in the NFL if you don't play on ST.

IT also hurts most college teams don't use bigger backs anymore. There were never that many of them, but now that college teams use their RB in the passing game, it means they have the same issue that the NFL does, and it really cuts down on the number of guys who have gotten any playing time.

I am not against the idea of drafting or signing an undrafted big back, but it take patience, because the supply is so limited these days.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Case for Ben Mason as a late-round/UDFA addition.

He’d be a short yardage back, blocking TE, H back, and elite ST contributor.

Really impressed at the Senior Bowl.
                        81613A3C-5269-4EB3-AC20-06119F4E1C87.jpeg
                        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎