Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    But, but, but, Tevi????
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Skill or Luck?
      How is that different from any other draft pick? Teams pass on who is remaining and you drive from that set of players. So if we draft a fantastic player in the next round that ends up being a stalwart player it was lucky because he fell to us? Does that only apply the first round players?

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
        Check out Chargers.com for all things Rashawn Slater.

Staley - “ We wanted to become a LOS team! “ - fucking awesome!
        Wow. I’ve been waiting for that for years.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

How is that different from any other draft pick? Teams pass on who is remaining and you drive from that set of players. So if we draft a fantastic player in the next round that ends up being a stalwart player it was lucky because he fell to us? Does that only apply the first round players?
          TT got the faller S who was BPA, the faller OLT who was BPA and the faller QB who was BPA. Yes he does well when he drafts the faller BPAs. So he takes the guys that are obvious, but when they are not there, he is below average IMO.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

We lucked out again. As long as he stays healthy he's no dummy. Good draft interview with VERY INTELLIGENT responses!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

I also really like that he showed up ready to go at his pro day after a year off. Spent the year doing football stuff.

He can join Eke in the gym.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

Comment

• DragonIce
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2021
                  • Arizona
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  See, I think you are wrong. He will do more than "survive" at LT, he's a potential Pro Bowler.
                  Yup! Slater won't win any contests for pancake blocks. Won't have a great highlight reel. But he's such a perfect pick. Sure it would be great if he had a bit more wing span. But if so, he wouldn't have been there at 13. We wouldn't have been given the chance to make him a Charger.

Don't forget: lots of very keen NFL scouts regarded him higher than Sewell!

At tackle in today's game, It's not how many highlights you have, but bringing poor or ugly plays down to zero. Slater does that.

If I'm Justin it's who I want. If I'm a Charger RB in a zone scheme...it's who I want. Superior understanding and technique, amazing wheels for a man his size.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

TT got the faller S who was BPA, the faller OLT who was BPA and the faller QB who was BPA. Yes he does well when he drafts the faller BPAs. So he takes the guys that are obvious, but when they are not there, he is below average IMO.
                    Best player available according to who? No GM or draft board is perfect nor are they the same, and how teams value certain players will gain in their divergence the further you get into the draft. A BPA list is for draft TV, mock drafts, and fans. That list will have very little relevance to any individual teams BPA /cluster list very quickly into the draft. It doesn't even take into account scheme fits let alone the fact that individual teams will have a wide dispersion of values on players.

When the safety was BPA he was also the BPA for 8 to 10 teams in front of us. They all had an opportunity to draft him. How are you considering Herbert a Faller QB last year? Hell they were more than a few draftniks and board members that thought that he was a surefire bust and GM killer. Many here were extremely angry at the pick last year. As for Slater, there were several opportunities for other teams to take him. They chose not to. They valued other players higher. They were many people talking about needing to trade up to get Slater. As was stated by both our GM and Coach once he got past the 8th position they had a good idea/odds were highly increased that he would be available. There's a lot of work that goes into what you're calling luck.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Comment

• RobH
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Tokyo, Japan
                        • University English Lecturer
                        • Send PM

I haven't paid much attention this year. But watching the film on this guy tells me that he has superior quickness off the snap. He's very strong, 33 reps on the bench ain't hay. He has room to put on more weight, and maybe he should, but if he anchors well and maintains his technique, he'll be a very welcome presence on the left side. Arm length is overrated, IMO. If an OT is slow out of the blocks and the DE gets that initial step then the long arms are good for trying to wrap him up, but that often results in the DE running through the arm bar. I'll take the quick dude with leverage every time. Maybe Pipkin comes into his own and beats out Slater, but I doubt it. Pipkin will hopefully improve enough to be a reliable backup at RT, because it's a pretty sure bet that Bulaga will go down at some point in the season, even if it's for a game or a partial game. If Pipkins can take over and play well, then we've got our two OTs for the foreseeable future. Maybe they draft an up and comer in the lower rounds to add competition and depth. I'm very happy with this pick, though.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          So. So. So what.
                          SuperFly says he's a Guard.
                          I say he's a Center.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...