Clear All
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

Originally posted by labound View Post
    Wondering if anyone caught The Football Hour with Nick Hardwick on Friday? Paraphrasing Nick he said he was worried that because Slater sat out for Covid he is one of those guys that loves being a football player but doesn't love the game of football. Basically insinuated that Slater has a higher bust possibility. You'd be hard pressed to find someone more optimistic about the offseason moves of the Chargers but this gave me pause.
    Maybe if he hadn’t spent the whole time with Duke Manyweather training I would share the concern. He missed out on games but other than that he’s probably spent more time strictly on football than he would have if he had stayed at Northwestern.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Wondering if anyone caught The Football Hour with Nick Hardwick on Friday? Paraphrasing Nick he said he was worried that because Slater sat out for Covid he is one of those guys that loves being a football player but doesn't love the game of football. Basically insinuated that Slater has a higher bust possibility. You'd be hard pressed to find someone more optimistic about the offseason moves of the Chargers but this gave me pause.
      Because he opted out during the COVID-19 pandemic when the Big10 cancelled the season?
      That makes no sense to me.
      Does he think that of Sewell, Chase, Parsons, etc? These must not be true football guys. Sounds like Nick is using the no true Scotsman fallacy.

Slater probably signed with an agent, began working out in like August with Duke Manyweather (something like 8 months/245 days/242 workouts) to prep for the NFL. He didn’t get the what 6/games at NW. Who cares? He got far more dedicated football work than he ever would have playing the 2020 shortened season.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

He must have missed the fact that the kid trained twice a day with an online guru to improve his play. He spent more time working on his craft than any of his contemporaries that played this season. When the Big ten decided they weren't going to play football he made a decision that was best for his future. When the Big 10 change their mind he was already on his path and felt it was best to stay on the path that he was on as he really saw the value in what he was doing.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

.005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
          .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
          .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
          .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
          .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
          .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
          .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
          .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
          .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
            "Ask your girlfriend if a quarter inch makes a difference?" Almost died laughing!

:hello:
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

Very good perspective. Slater outathletes Sewell in pretty much every category. Played against better D rushers, they both opted out last year and seem to be both great at what they did at a college level. Its a Tomato vs Tomato. I think both will be successful and we happen to really lack a top performer at LT so Slater is going to get his chance to earn the spot over Pipkins. Our OL is revamped so Slater will have a bit more help to his side too is what I imagine. My gut says Slater will probably have a cleaner year just based on our offense.

Euther would have been great. Im moving on with our next 10 year LT. Woop woop!

Comment

• Eurobolt
                *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

like54ninjas

Out of curiosity where would you rank Slater if drafted last year, I mean how good he is (in your opinion) comparing to Wirfs, Willis, Becton, Thomas, Jackson, Wilson.(2020 1st round picks).

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I am friends with someone who is on the NW Board. He knows the entire Slater family personally. Zero concerns about lack of motivation, love for football, dedication, off the field silliness based on everything he told me. Said this is a great young man from a great family. Also is an incredibly smart young man.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    I am friends with someone who is on the NW Board. He knows the entire Slater family personally. Zero concerns about lack of motivation, love for football, dedication, off the field silliness based on everything he told me. Said this is a great young man from a great family. Also is an incredibly smart young man.

TG
                    Looks like it from his interviews. I’m more impressed with his media responses compared to the Lions HC that wants his players to chew knee caps off :biggrin:

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
                      like54ninjas

Out of curiosity where would you rank Slater if drafted last year, I mean how good he is (in your opinion) comparing to Wirfs, Willis, Becton, Thomas, Jackson, Wilson.(2020 1st round picks).
                      OT5. Add in Sewell, Little, and Jenkins = OT8
                      I still have questions about his size/mass to hold up.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Same thing could be said about Sewell also. Different example but no one can deny Christian McCaffrey’s passion for football even though he opted out of playing a Bowl game in order to avoid injury. It all depends on what Slater did during his year off.

Comment

• SBbound
                          Casual fanatic
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Merced/San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

He must have missed the fact that the kid trained twice a day with an online guru to improve his play. He spent more time working on his craft than any of his contemporaries that played this season. When the Big ten decided they weren't going to play football he made a decision that was best for his future. When the Big 10 change their mind he was already on his path and felt it was best to stay on the path that he was on as he really saw the value in what he was doing.
                          I'm really disappointed in Hardwick for his lack of research before putting out something like this, can't help but wonder if there isn't a litttle bit of jealousy mixed in with this. Weird.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍