• Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
    yuba is back!!!
    Hey go back to being aloof and pretending to ignore me dickhead. The day you have anything meaningful to say will be the first. You focus on contrarianism, snark and negativity. Drive-by one-liners, put-downs and condescension. Rich and compelling.

Hopefully you add value elsewhere in your life bc here you're completely bankrupt.
    Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 03-30-2015, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Acee interview where he covers LA and Rivers:

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Is there any good reason to listen to that?
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
          Is there any good reason to listen to that?
          It's actually decent, though much more of it is about the stadium than Rivers.

Comment

• Wheels
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
            Because that's what I said.

By the way, your certitude about Rivers being above working the media is kind of interesting. If you think everything Philip Rivers says to the press is 100% unvarnished truth in his mind, I have a Cornonado Bridge to sell you. Because he's always been a 'straight shooter' in the media about his injuries. And he's always been a 'straight shooter' in the media about his relationship with LT. And he's always been a 'straight shooter' in the media about what he thought at times about Norv Turner, Norv's offense, the forecast for Turner-coached teams, etc. He has played those situations like he did to help the team and to help himself. And that's ok. That's what any intelligent person would do.

Look, I like and respect PR as much as anyone here. But he's not above working the media to his and team advantage. Let's say there is a confluence of interests on Carson, his deal and the desire to win. I don't think he's shilling for anyone. I think he is looking to influence outcomes in terms of his interests, which generally happen to align with team and team-outcome interests. And frankly, I respect that. I think, yes, all things being equal that it is his strong preference to finish his career as a Charger. The team also seems to want that. They largely control the issues he has. If he can help them steer (or push) to those outcomes by working the media and influencing broader perceptions, then why wouldn't he do that? Why is he incapable of that? Nothing about it crosses any of the ethical lines I have seen and read that he keeps. Heck, what he's said about his contract status isn't particularly inflammatory or net negative, anyway. He's being smart. So why everyone is freaking out is beyond me.

I do think Rivers would trade much of that for a shot at a Super Bowl. I think he wants to see (and influence) what the team is going to do because his time is short. Telesco probably wants to win a SB just as badly. But he cannot run the team simply on the basis of what Philip Rivers wants and needs. He (hopefully) will be here long after Philip Rivers is gone and he has to deal with the implications of actions he takes today. So if he sells out a la Elway and it doesn't pan out, well he's a)not satisfied Rivers and b) run himself out of a job. He doesn't have the luxury of Elway's gravitas and relationship with the franchise, much less a franchise that already has championships. And he doesn't have the kind of track record that would mean he can just get another GM job.

So while 2016 isn't that far away, it is in terms of there being a LOT of things that are going to happen between now and then. Stadium stuff, personnel stuff, injuries, maybe coaching stuff. If Rivers starts or continues? breaking down (even with a good line in place this year....hoping, anyway), will the OIPs be all up in arms because Rivers wasn't extended on big money terms? I just think that ruminating on this so far in advance and without looking at the parties' mutual interests pretty objectively is kind of silly. 200 post threads on the subject seem a little over the top when this Marcus Mariota stuff and the Carson bluff are largely the source of the intrigue. Does not compute. At least to me.

I think there's a clear delineation on Rivers being a straight shooter. He's not above coach speak, and holding the company line when it comes to team related issues. He will lie about injuries, cover for teammates not playing well enough, etc. But that's all part of what's happening between the lines. I've never gotten the impression he would manipulate the media for anything other than preserving and fostering a strong team environment. I seriously doubt he would shill for Spanos to help the team uproot itself to move to LA. And you basically did suggest that was a possibility, while at the same time shitting on this thread because we were discussing actual words he spoke on the radio.

I can't back up my feelings on the subject with proof, and neither can you. But I'd wager most here agree Rivers is sincere about his communicated feelings on extending his contract, and is not doing it to help the team sell fear.

Comment

• TTK
              EX-Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • America's Finest City
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              It's actually decent, though much more of it is about the stadium than Rivers.
              I heard this interview yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised at how optimistic Acee is about a stadium deal getting done.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Ses who?
                Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                X