• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chargers second round draft pick CB Asante Samuel Jr. speaks to the media following being selected at No. 47 overall in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Speaks to FSU being DBU. #Noles

Comment

• Xenos
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

The name is familiar, and the style of play will be, too. But now Asante Samuel Jr., whose father was a four-time Pro Bowl cornerback and a two-time Super Bowl champion, is off to the NFL and aiming to make his own mark on the game at the same position where his father excelled. In taking Samuel with the No. 47 pick of the 2021 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Chargers are getting an eminently coachable player who is also extremely competitive.

Samuel is undersized at 5-foot-10, 180 pounds, but he makes up for that with his athleticism. Florida State defensive coordinator Adam Fuller told The Athletic that Samuel’s ability to change direction is his strongest attribute. Next up would be his versatility; he has proved effective in both zone and man coverage.

He was the best player on a not-great Florida State team this past season and opted out after eight games. (Late-season COVID-19 disruptions did not help matters, either.) Samuel was not a part of a winning season during his time at Florida State, which was a bit of a shock to the system for a player who came from powerhouse high school program St. Thomas Aquinas in Sunrise, Fla. Samuel has said he’s grown a good deal stronger mentally from all the losing he’s had to endure over the past three years.

Dane Brugler on Asante Samuel Jr. (No. 5 CB, No. 42 overall in The Beast)
      Samuel plays with outstanding reaction quickness and ball awareness to turn and locate or drive on throws in front of him. His lack of size shows up in coverage and against the run, but he is a heady player who trusts his skills, very similar to his Pro Bowl father. Overall, Samuel’s smallish frame isn’t ideal, but he is twitched up with the fluid athleticism and play confidence to stay connected to routes (flashes Jaire Alexander-type ability). He projects as an NFL starter capable of playing inside or outside.

Top college highlight
      Samuel’s abbreviated junior season was clearly his best, with three interceptions, nine passes defended, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble over eight games. His best individual performance came against Georgia Tech in FSU’s season opener, when he picked off two passes for returns of 38 yards and 36 yards, respectively. Don’t let the fact that the Seminoles lost that game obscure the fact Samuel had a great performance; it’s been years since Florida State played like vintage Florida State, and Samuel did not experience a winning season during his time in Tallahassee.

Media moment
      For Samuel, there is no escaping the obvious: His name. Asante Sr. won two rings with the New England Patriots. That’s a big name to wear on your back, and Asante Jr. certainly feels it. Here’s a sampling of how he’s answered the inevitable question about playing in his father’s shadow:

“I’m just trying to make my own way,” Samuel told Yahoo Sports after he opted out in December. “It’s not about not wanting to be him, or whatever, just me trying to showcase my ability to cover and make plays. Some of it is genetics, but I mean, I have always assumed nothing is just going to be given to me because of my name. I want to work for everything I have a shot at. That’s where the hard work pays off. If you don’t put in the time, eventually you’ll fail. I don’t want that to happen.”

Coachspeak
      “He matches up with anybody out there, with his quickness, his athleticism and his ability to play the ball,” Florida State defensive coordinator Adam Fuller told The Athletic. “He’s got a really good knack for zone coverage. That’s where he got most of his picks — which most people do — but I think he’s got a distinct combination of he’s got a good feeling in zone and he’s competitive and has the physical skills to be able to play press man coverage. I think his change-of-direction is his best tool. His tenacity, his change-of-direction, man coverage but also zone — because he’s so quick he can also play in the slot. He offers some versatility because he can play in both schemes. And his competitiveness will always push him to the front.”

Comment

• SuperCharged
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Utah
        • Midnight Toker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
        4.38 and 4.45 at pro day. Lots of people use the slower time.
        That's ok his pop's ran a 4.55 and hit up 4 pro bowls and 2 rings.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
            Can't help but feel the draft has fallen into the Charger's hands near perfectly so far....hope TT keeps his head on straight, and doesn't try to get cute in the third, lol....
            you jinxed it.
            Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

you jinxed it.
              After the third round it's pretty much a 50/50 chance that a player pans out. We've had better odds with walk-ons vs. picks after the 4th round.

:shock:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Shumway
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Perth Australia
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                two good picks.....TT getting cocky.

Waiting for that wtf pick soon.
                I blame you for the 3rd round, PBB

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

10 Yard Split = football speed.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• CTrout
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                    Similar style and size to Darios Williams, who Staley had with the Rams.

Comment

• Jetssuckgochargers
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

Do you guys see Samuel starting outside or at the nickel spot?

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jetssuckgochargers View Post
                        Do you guys see Samuel starting outside or at the nickel spot?
                        Outside.
                        Great thing though Asante is position flexible.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Ramsey has a much better vert and size, but their 40 (4.41) and 10 (1.51) yard times are almost identical. Same with shuttle (4.18) and 3 cone (6.94).

Comment

Working...
                          X