• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Steve is saying the Chargers received two first round picks. Second year in a row.

Strengths: Seeing the field and recognizing routes concepts.

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

Samuel is a really good CB. Sharp and instinctive as well as fast and bursty. Taking other CBs ahead of him because they were a thumbnail taller or a fart faster was a fortunate mistake by other teams.

Perfect scheme fit too.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Asante Samuel Jr. says South Florida athletes are JUST DIFFERENT I All Things Covered
        Asante Samuel Jr. carries the name of a former All-Pro corner but is trying to carve his own path at the same position in the NFL. The prospect out of Florid...

Asante Samuel Jr. carries the name of a former All-Pro corner but is trying to carve his own path at the same position in the NFL. The prospect out of Florida State joins Patrick Peterson and Bryant McFadden to discuss that path. Asante describes what it was like having a dad in the league and how playing high school at St. Thomas Aquinas prepared him for college at FSU. We also learn in what areas he's trying to improve his game as Pat and BMac dish out more defensive back tips. Samuel Jr. breaks down his draft expectations and the teams he has been getting a good vibe from before finishing with Superlatives!

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I really love this pick. And I think the plan should be to primarily play him outside. Slot CBs are generally easier to find. If he can play both, at him at the position harder to find starting cover talent.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
            Fluent in Sarcasm
            • Jun 2013
            • Iowa
            • Man of the People
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Jetssuckgochargers View Post
            Do you guys see Samuel starting outside or at the nickel spot?
            Outside. People knock his size but he’s the same height and about 10 lbs lighter than Jaire Alexander who is one of the best doing it right now. Samuel and Davis outside, Harris inside, Adderley and James over the top. That is a ridiculous amount of flexibility and playmaking in the defensive backfield.

Comment

• Jetssuckgochargers
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Outside. People knock his size but he’s the same height and about 10 lbs lighter than Jaire Alexander who is one of the best doing it right now. Samuel and Davis outside, Harris inside, Adderley and James over the top. That is a ridiculous amount of flexibility and playmaking in the defensive backfield.
              Plus Staley is supposed to be a defensive genius, so things are looking up. Is edge opposite Bosa an issue or are you guys comfortable there?

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Plus Staley is supposed to be a defensive genius, so things are looking up. Is edge opposite Bosa an issue or are you guys comfortable there?
                No consistent force opposite Bosa at this time but lots of options with Nwosu, Egbule, Fackrell, and now Rumph. Tillery may also be an option there depending on how Staley wants to use him. I don’t feel great about the position personally but there are enough options that rotating them all should at least give us fresh bodies to throw at teams in the 4th quarter and get some results. Edge and interior DL could very well be our emphasis for early in the draft next year.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

No consistent force opposite Bosa at this time but lots of options with Nwosu, Egbule, Fackrell, and now Rumph. Tillery may also be an option there depending on how Staley wants to use him. I don’t feel great about the position personally but there are enough options that rotating them all should at least give us fresh bodies to throw at teams in the 4th quarter and get some results. Edge and interior DL could very well be our emphasis for early in the draft next year.
                  Staley has been pretty clear that Tillery will be playing on the inside and used as a matchup player to attack gaps. I think you said the only time he would consider playing him on the outside is if they had to put a big d line in versus a run heavy team. He seems pretty high on Nwosu. This is a very different style of defense than what Bradley ran here, so let's see them figure out how they want to utilize their chess pieces to attack opposing offenses. I will say one thing I don't think it's possible to have worse in game adjustments and what we've witnessed in the past.

Comment

• Eurobolt
                    *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

I am actually scared how good this backfield can be so much talent.

Have you heard that Mahomes?

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Staley has been pretty clear that Tillery will be playing on the inside and used as a matchup player to attack gaps. I think you said the only time he would consider playing him on the outside is if they had to put a big d line in versus a run heavy team. He seems pretty high on Nwosu. This is a very different style of defense than what Bradley ran here, so let's see them figure out how they want to utilize their chess pieces to attack opposing offenses. I will say one thing I don't think it's possible to have worse in game adjustments and what we've witnessed in the past.
                      34 DE have to play inside and outside, so Tillery will need to do some of both. But there is a reason that when you are scouting for 34 DE, you look at mostly guys who are DT. Especially if they call Bosa a DE, then the other DE will have to line up inside, with the OLB opposite Bosa. IT is really the same position he has been playing. The 3 technique DT spot developed when 34 DE were moved inside when 34 teams moved to the 43.

As far as Samuel goes, if you believe his 40 time is 4.45, the people who believe in 40 times telling you how fast a player is, then it is on the slowish side for a outside CB. Even 4.38 is not super fast. How many times did Samuel have guys running past him in college. FSU is not the program it was, but they still play a decent schedule, and it is not like track fast WR were blowing past him right and left. Samuel plays with technique and knows how to position himself. He is more than fast enough unless he forgets all his technique on the way to LA. The big thing a CB needs to do is be able to read and react to the WR routes as they are running. Samuel is pretty good at that. He doesn't let a lot of space generate between him and his guy, and more important, he does that while keeping his position on the WR, cutting off a lot of route options and maintaining control on his guy.

The big thing is that with this secondary, we have 3 CB who can all play press man to man, off man to man and zone (Samuel is kinda weak there ...). Staley's D relies a lot of hiding the called D by lining up guys and asking them to show one thing and then do another. All 3 CB can do that. We have a good foundation for installing the split secondary coverages.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

To be determined. I think that’s Tillery’s job.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

To be determined. I think that’s Tillery’s job.
                          I think that is Nwosu's job primarily.

Comment

Working...
                          X